Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Racer X

Re: Formula 1: Drive to Survive (Netflix documentation)

Yeah well the "reviewers" have they written anything that would justify them judging the work of published writers? Because it doesn't make sense to ME to pay attention to people with no experience. Thats why ive never paid attention to the book review industry.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

woohoo

Redragon wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:23
Noble29 wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 16:14
woohoo wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 15:49
Completely agree with all this. The 'lies' that are told by specifically playing radio messages at a time that aren't correct (making Max's move on Hamilton seem like it was on the last lap for example) seem like an insult to someone who knows what actually happened.

No mention of Charlie Whiting? No mention of the Canada incident? No mention of Renault dsq from Japan? No mention of Kvyat podium at Germany despite all he's been through? No mention of the Ferrari engine debate raging on? I know obviously they filmed certain teams at certain points but still feels like certain things could have made it in in some shape or form, especially over 10 episodes.

And as you said, lots of 'plots' that never materialise into any proper substance except for Albon and Gasly.

Overall very disappointed with the direction of the series. Just seems to cater to the more uneducated fan who only cares about Ricciardo, Verstappen and the Haas mess etc without really caring much for the sport itself.
The series is not designed from the technical side, it was already clear on season 1, it is design to attract other kind of audience that it is not already following F1. I see it as a good reminder of what it was the season towards the new season and also catch with some great shots, like the POV pilots cameras which had great detail when pilots reacting and are just passengers in accidents. They are aware of the angle they heading of as the best of the whole season is the 2 sec where Kyviat mentions Netflix is avoiding him, it is a inside joke of the production team ( Which would have been a great addition to the Gasly, Albon drama and make it a bit more interesting)
Formula 1 is technical. The series does not have to dwell on every single detail, they could have spent an episode explaining a bit about the cars (talking a bit about aerodynamics and the like, a short interview with Newey, perhaps) and an episode about a race where strategy was key.
If the series is to attract new viewers, then it also needs to explain these things, otherwise people may think all cars are the same, and all tires/strategy concept.

Why are "inside jokes" going out to the public? - Then its not a joke, it silly.
The only way to close a stupid question is to give a smart answer

strad

the production/direction seem worse this year. It jumps forward then jumps backward. Continuity is poor.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

TheFluffy

strad wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 22:08
the production/direction seem worse this year. It jumps forward then jumps backward. Continuity is poor.
If you think about the entire point of the tv series, its not to give avid f1 fans like us a documentary of the entire season. We need to approach this as a reality TV show that is trimmed and edited to create themes that go on throughout the season. And we can inteprete each episode represents a 'storyline' that went on in the 2019 season. It is meant for entertainment with the target that the average watcher isnt watching it because purely its Formula 1, its because of the story that is portrayed that keeps the person engaged.

BrunoH

yeah i liked season 1 a lot more, and was expecting more from the series in this season 2. i Guess Mclaren can do a second series with amazon for the 2021 season preparation with amazon again, wold be great special because of the new regs etc

PlatinumZealot

I'm watching season one now. I like..
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

snowy

I think they could have saved themselves a fortune and in the process made it far more insightful by making it for radio. Visually it is a non-event!

strad

If you think about the entire point of the tv series, its not to give avid f1 fans like us a documentary of the entire season. We need to approach this as a reality TV show that is trimmed and edited to create themes that go on throughout the season. And we can inteprete each episode represents a 'storyline' that went on in the 2019 season. It is meant for entertainment with the target that the average watcher isnt watching it because purely its Formula 1, its because of the story that is portrayed that keeps the person engaged.
You cannot got from one week before Australia to race day to two week before the race to race day to a month before.
You just can't bounce around like that. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Airshifter

I've watched both seasons, and overall I don't think it's a bad series at all. Though it's obviously not aimed at the serious enthusiasts that follow the series, it does give some inside clips to the interactions that we don't see on our usual coverage of races and the series.

I also agree with the comments by several others that it does drag in the "other than us" types into Formula 1 some. My wife and daughter raised a number of questions while I was watching the series that they likely wouldn't have raised while I was watching the races themselves.

Here in the US, most people know next to nothing about Formula 1. Even though we now have a track again, the interest is still low. This is the kind of series that might actually get a potentially huge market more engaged in F1, and that is probably a good thing for the sport.

PlatinumZealot

snowy wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 12:51
I think they could have saved themselves a fortune and in the process made it far more insightful by making it for radio. Visually it is a non-event!
I like the visuals. Bright, high contrast, high sharpness. The carbon fibre texture details under the paint was what impressed me the most. I couldn't see that in the regular broadcast.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

djos

I just finished watching this on my new 65" Panasonic 4K HDR OLED and wow, just wow! It looked incredible!

I wish the regular broadcast was in HDR colour (4k resolution isnt that big a deal, but HDR colour is huge as it shows 25% more colour than HDTV.) as the colours of all the cars and general image quality was simply stunning!

From a Technical F1 fan point of view, I enjoyed seeing a lot of the behind the scenes goings on but I feel that the series deserves a few more episodes (eg one per race would be good) as there was a lot of the season that was glossed over or not shown at all.
"In downforce we trust"

zeph

I actually think the length of the series (10 episodes) is just about right for Generation Z; they cover most of the human interest stories, it’s binge-able, and short enough to leave you wanting more. Most Netflix seasons are 10 episodes now, it’s the new norm.

If there was a show for every race, the episodes would either have to be much shorter or they’d have to include a lot more technical stuff which may not be very interesting to the casual viewer.

SmallSoldier

10 - 12 episodes sounds about right... But there is no reason why they couldn’t do a couple races per episode... The format would have to change a bit in terms of showcasing a particular team(s) in one single episode.

Even though 10 episodes seems right, they also felt really short for me and they could have easily added content by stretching the episode length instead of adding more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sieper

They have chosen to go with narratives, not so much races. I do feel season 2 is more truthful then season 1 which was very “making up” narratives then telling actual stories.

strad

If you can get caned in Singapore for cursing how's does Guenther Steiner get out without a beating? :lol:
Sir Stirling Moss