2020 Australian GP might be threatened

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
izzy

Re: 2020 Australian GP might be threatened

AJI wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:09
The problem is of course, the virus has a 0-27 day incubation period and the staff will be here in 10 days, give or take...
Originally I didn't think the Oz GP would be affected, but we're all getting a bit jittery down here...
yes the test detects the antibodies doesn't it, so there's this lag between infection and it being detectable, this is why they need the quarantine period, to see if it develops. So it could go either way for the race, just have to hope really.

subcritical71

AJI wrote:
DVB wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 21:46
The organization could easily ask for a health declaration of all staff and personnel attending the F1 Grand Prix. So they put the costs at the teams and keep their program.
I don't think it's about cost, if you're talking monetary value?
The problem is of course, the virus has a 0-27 day incubation period and the staff will be here in 10 days, give or take...
Originally I didn't think the Oz GP would be affected, but we're all getting a bit jittery down here...
.... and we've got about 9 more days for those jitters to result in a quarantine. The way its going in my part of the world I wouldn't doubt more restrictions before those 9 days are up. I'm surprised teams are not proactively sending skeleton crews out now.

AJI
AJI

subcritical71 wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 22:36

.... and we've got about 9 more days for those jitters to result in a quarantine. The way its going in my part of the world I wouldn't doubt more restrictions before those 9 days are up. I'm surprised teams are not proactively sending skeleton crews out now.
2020, the year F1 was officially done. I doubt we'll even get 10 races...
Here I was thinking the slow demise of F1 would be all about the environment relating to climate change...

DVB

AJI wrote:
DVB wrote:
02 Mar 2020, 21:46
The organization could easily ask for a health declaration of all staff and personnel attending the F1 Grand Prix. So they put the costs at the teams and keep their program.
I don't think it's about cost, if you're talking monetary value?
If they take the incubation period as reference, they will have problems because it will only show affected persons with symptoms => contagious. While many other persons will carry the virus without symptoms. That's why they should be pre tested.

With the cost I mean the organization doesnt need to pay for that, and they could lay that with the teams. But we can be damn sure less people will attend the Grand Prix and that will be felt.
Everybody is a Ferrari fan.

bluechris

Seems that it started in Aussie also, panic started and they are emptying the super markets...they start with the toilet paper 1st.. this is world 1st really reaction

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/healt ... 04d445aeba

Also this is the official government info if anyone wants to follow it and that alert started today.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-a ... alth-alert

As i see it if this continues i dont see any racing huppening there also.

hollus

The test is not relying on antibodies, but on RT-PCR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-ti ... n_reaction
Still needs time before there is enough DNA to detect, though.
Rivals, not enemies.

izzy

hollus wrote:
03 Mar 2020, 17:41
The test is not relying on antibodies, but on RT-PCR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-ti ... n_reaction
Still needs time before there is enough DNA to detect, though.
oh, interesting. There's not much on it is there. We could really do with something that shortens the quarantine period

Wynters

What's the impact to the teams of a cancelled grand prix?

Do they save money by not having to ship everyone out there (and replace parts lost in crashes during the weekend) or do they haemorrhage sponsorship? Both? I assume all the main parties will have some form of insurance to cover this. It might work out quite well for the smaller teams, particularly if this is viewed as a one-off event.

What impact will this lack of three days of running have on their development cycle? Whose engines particularly benefit from having fewer races on the calendar?

dfegan358

Coronavirus getting worse by the day in Italy. This thing could ravage the f1 calendar this year.

Big Tea

Wynters wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 01:43
What's the impact to the teams of a cancelled grand prix?

Do they save money by not having to ship everyone out there (and replace parts lost in crashes during the weekend) or do they haemorrhage sponsorship? Both? I assume all the main parties will have some form of insurance to cover this. It might work out quite well for the smaller teams, particularly if this is viewed as a one-off event.

What impact will this lack of three days of running have on their development cycle? Whose engines particularly benefit from having fewer races on the calendar?
The downside is the sponsors were 'promised' their product would be seen 20+ times, so will they be wanting a rebate?
Same for TV coverage and advertises during the GP, live at track on televises, press etc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

I wouldn't be surprised if the race will end up being without spectators. I don't expect this decision to be held by Formula 1, but that the state/government will.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Ringleheim

dfegan358 wrote:
04 Mar 2020, 15:43
Coronavirus getting worse by the day in Italy. This thing could ravage the f1 calendar this year.
What concerns me is that in the USA, we are now seeing elected officials coming out and either preventing crowds from gathering for sporting events, or strongly recommending people stay home.

That is going to gain momentum, and there are already team sport games scheduled to be played in empty arenas with no crowd. We have seen that with some soccer games in Europe, etc.

If a public perception develops, thinking that it is frivolous to gather for sporting entertainment purposes and that it is inherently unsafe, the FIA/Liberty Media is going to have a tough decision to make.

Do they slot with others and put public health above the sport? Or do they put the sport and their pocket books above public health?

This virus is only going to get much worse around the entire world in the next several months, and it is not going to go away with warmer weather as has been reported.

In a few months it might be politically impossible for F1 to continue to hold races with crowds...

And then the season really will be savaged. Having said that, if the races continue with empty seats, I won't mind. I'm watching on TV anyway and I don't think the fans will be missed, except for maybe Silverstone, Suzuka, and Monza. And Holland, if there even is a Dutch GP, etc.

Ringleheim

Phil wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 14:30
I wouldn't be surprised if the race will end up being without spectators. I don't expect this decision to be held by Formula 1, but that the state/government will.
Pretty sure the race organizers in Melbourne have already publicly stated vehemently that there WILL be a crowd for the Australian GP.

The question is how many other races will have crowds? And will there even be other races!

I can see a bunch being cancelled. What about Monza? How could you have a race at Monza? The numbers in Italy will be much worse in September, not better.

foxmulder_ms

Ringleheim wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:25
Phil wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 14:30
Pretty sure the race organizers in Melbourne have already publicly stated vehemently that there WILL be a crowd for the Australian GP.

The question is how many other races will have crowds? And will there even be other races!

I can see a bunch being cancelled. What about Monza? How could you have a race at Monza? The numbers in Italy will be much worse in September, not better.
Frankly, it should be without the crowds. This is a pandemic and should taken seriously. It is getting worse every single day.

Macklaren

McLaren had withdrawn. Haas probably will as well. Don't see how this race can continue...

*Looks like the Haas cases were negative but still...
Last edited by Macklaren on 12 Mar 2020, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.