2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Pyrone89

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

zibby43 wrote:
10 Mar 2020, 23:41
Per Motorsport.com, Mercedes was able to address the PU issues it encountered during winter testing, and will not have to roll back the specification or limit engine modes in any way for the Australian GP.
Did anyone expect otherwise from the most dominant team in history who has had the best car by a mile these last 6 years?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Vasconia

Phil wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 11:00
I wouldn't be surprised if the whole F1 will come to a halt and the government step in and prohibit spectators at the track.
I hope this won´t happen, but It will depend on the results of the tests performed on the workers. Fingers crossed! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Bill
Bill

Mercedes addressing their problems shouldn't be taken at face value it would be naive to believe them.what else would they say we failing to resolve problems. Last they told us they solved their cooling issues by Germany gp but we have only learnt recently that such solutions will require a new chassis because of miscalculation so they had to be addressed these year.only when their pu is run in anger and hot conditions would we know the truth

TAG

Bill wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 13:50
Mercedes addressing their problems shouldn't be taken at face value it would be naive to believe them.what else would they say we failing to resolve problems. Last they told us they solved their cooling issues by Germany gp but we have only learnt recently that such solutions will require a new chassis because of miscalculation so they had to be addressed these year.only when their pu is run in anger and hot conditions would we know the truth
Are you saying this is the same as when Ferrari tells us their PU in completely legal, but as soon as TDs about fuel flow come into the picture they lose the 30 bhp advantage they got after the summer break? Hmmm... interesting, I hadn't though of that.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

Bill wrote:
Mercedes addressing their problems shouldn't be taken at face value it would be naive to believe them.
I'd take what they say at face value long before i would some other teams. This is one of the things I think Lauda imparted in the team, just be direct its not worth the effort to beat around the bush.
197 104 103 7

GPR-A

Bill wrote:
Do they really need their PU to run at max power to destroy their opposition? They did that last year despite battling similar issues. You should only pray they never get rid of their problems, else it would be absolute annihilation for the competition.

LM10
LM10

TAG wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 14:00
Bill wrote:
Are you saying this is the same as when Ferrari tells us their PU in completely legal, but as soon as TDs about fuel flow come into the picture they lose the 30 bhp advantage they got after the summer break? Hmmm... interesting, I hadn't though of that.
Bill is a Honda- and RBR-fan and is writing about Mercedes and their PU. I don't know why you mention Ferrari. It's clear you just want to provocate.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 14:51
TAG wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 14:00
Bill wrote:
Bill is a Honda- and RBR-fan and is writing about Mercedes and their PU. I don't know why you mention Ferrari. It's clear you just want to provocate.
I think he could be forgiven for making the assumption considering the ravenous snide comments that seem to be coming hot and heavy lately from some fans.
197 104 103 7

LM10
LM10

GPR-A wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 14:18
Bill wrote:
Do they really need their PU to run at max power to destroy their opposition? They did that last year despite battling similar issues. You should only pray they never get rid of their problems, else it would be absolute annihilation for the competition.
Weird thing is that they told they had cooling issues last season. Yet, throughout the season, they tightened their engine cover outlet even more. You'll agree with me that this doesn't make sense at all. Or let me ask you this: How likely is it for the best team on the grid, having built the best package for several years in a row, with massive ressources and experience, highly intelligent and skilled personnel and seemingly very good wind tunnel and simulator correlation to make such a big design mistake?
Maybe they just didn't have such a powerful PU anymore. This season they are reported to have found plenty of horses.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

El Scorchio

Be interesting to see if Red Bull get anywhere or do anything with this, or if they are just barking in the hope that Mercedes err on the side of caution and don't use it.

They certainly aren't shy about protesting/complaining about what other teams are up to.

Bill
Bill

Mercedes clearly had cooling issues in Austria,(high altitude track)as for engine covers getting tighter its difficult to tell unless you have a measuring device of some sort. Merc had engine failures in Canada with Williams and Rp .Bottas also failure in Brazil oil consumption and cooling related issues.with stricter oil consumption regulations I am eager to see what Mercedes has in store

Phil

If I were Mercedes, I might only use it on one car. That way, only one car could be in breach right? I would definitely use it though - then you have clarity for the whole season. This could just be the ace. If it is protested and they lose, then the damage only affects one car. The tricky thing though would be figuring out which car to use it for............
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

kimetic
kimetic

Mercedes haven't been developing DAS for all that time, and consulting with FIA since last July iirc, to tamely give it up now. They'll run it, and the stewards won't go against FIA, who give them their jobs.

Red Bull being upset probably means their analysis since testing shows it's rather effective.

TAG

kimetic wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 15:44
Mercedes haven't been developing DAS for all that time, and consulting with FIA since last July iirc, to tamely give it up now. They'll run it, and the stewards won't go against FIA, who give them their jobs.

Red Bull being upset probably means their analysis since testing shows it's rather effective.
Fully agree. They've got the FiA's approval and subsequent clarification of its legality. To not run it would be the wrong response after the effort.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत