Renault F1 R.S. 20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PowerandtheGlory

Re: Renault F1 R.S. 20

Just noticed the FW in that picture is in bare-carbon fibre. You can see the weave, whilst the nose is black... cool points awarded.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Manoah2u

i'll be honest, i have no idea how the car is going to perform but i do like the thin nose,
reminds me a LOT of the early tot mid 90's cars, before everybody slowly moved to high noses.

that said, i am very curious about the car. there's a certain mistery around it yet. Mclaren after all last year
outperformed the works team, so the engine definately can't be the problem. Renewed aero should help a lot,
and taking into account Ferrari has had to design a totally new engine for 2020 due to their 'alleged cheating' in 2019, as already discussed elsewhere, there MIGHT be a chance that, assuming P1 is fought between Mercedes and RedBull, then P3 could be fought between Ferrari, Mclaren and Renault. So despite Daniel saying he's not confident they'll make a podium, it's far from certain Ferrari will make that on the regular compared to last season.

I don't think the Renault RS20 will have made such a leap, but Mclaren made huge leaps forward too compared to where they were and Renault never was in such bad shape as Mclaren was, so we can be in for something great.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Mansell89

I agree they are the huge outlier from testing. Quietly did their thing, and then cropped up with the 3rd fastest time towards the end and Ocon closely following Ricciardo.

Ocon said in the interview at the end of week 2 it’s the fastest car he’s ever driven. He seemed quite excited.

It would be fantastic to see Renault and McLaren close up on the front three but it’s a big ask in this final year of regs.

JordanMugen

Mansell89 wrote:
05 Mar 2020, 22:05
Ocon said in the interview at the end of week 2 it’s the fastest car he’s ever driven. He seemed quite excited.
So it's a faster car than Mercedes W10? :D

If so, that's a great sign as the gap between R.S.19 and W10 was quite large. That would suggest Renault have found well over 1-1.5s per lap improvement? :)

Blackout

But the track offered more grip than usual, they say, especially in week 1.
The bargeaobards are a direct evolution of the 2019 BB

Blackout

The livery will change.

Blackout

They changed the brake caliper and the blowing duct positions.
In 2019 the caliper center point was around 5 o'clock (left hand wheel), now it's at 3 o'clock and almost vertical.
And they've put the bigger 2020 outwash duct at 8 oclock in 2020 (it was at 12 o'clock in 2019)
2019 - 2020:

2019 wheel hub (outwash duct in yellow rectangle) vs 2020
New Merc style VGs under the brake inlets too
Last edited by Blackout on 06 Mar 2020, 15:56, edited 5 times in total.

PowerandtheGlory

Blackout wrote:
06 Mar 2020, 14:54
It looks like they moved/rotated the brake calipers and the blowing duct.
In 2019 the caliper center point was around 5 o'clock in 2019 (left hand wheel), now it's at 3 o'clock and the calipehr is almost vertical. And they've put the bigger 2020 blowing duct exit at 8 oclock in 2020 (it was at 12 o'clock in 2019)
2019:
https://cdn-1.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... or-d-1.jpg
2019 wheel hub (duct in yellow rectangle) vs 2020
New Merc style VGs under the brake inlets too
https://i.imgur.com/HDreGfY.jpg
Oh, that's it, the photos are out- that means another team can copy this design like-for-like perfectly and have it working just from these photos alone... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

Morteza

These vanes on the splitter are new

Via @NicolasF1i
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

gosswilliams75

Blackout

This shows the suspension geometry change. (top=2019)
Top wishbone rearward tub mounting point is higher now and much less downwashy

Last edited by Blackout on 11 Mar 2020, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

Thunder

Livery and Sponsorship Talk has been moved to the Team Thread.
turbof1 wrote: YOU SHALL NOT......STALLLLL!!!
#aerogollum

djos

Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the Renault RS20 is the 2020 dark horse!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... dDtYK.html
In terms of short run pace, Renault were the second best team overall, behind only world champions Mercedes, around one second off the pace according to our data (with the usual caveat of not knowing the precise fuel load). They were very competitive over the long runs, too, slotting into third, 0.7s/lap slower than Mercedes.

Perhaps the most impressive stat of all is the percentage difference in long-run pace seen in testing compared to the 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Using Mercedes as a reference, Renault have made a 2.91% gain, more than any other team. Only Haas, McLaren and Williams made improvements in this metric.
"In downforce we trust"

PowerandtheGlory

djos wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 03:05
Looks like I'm not the only one who thinks the Renault RS20 is the 2020 dark horse!

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... dDtYK.html
In terms of short run pace, Renault were the second best team overall, behind only world champions Mercedes, around one second off the pace according to our data (with the usual caveat of not knowing the precise fuel load). They were very competitive over the long runs, too, slotting into third, 0.7s/lap slower than Mercedes.

Perhaps the most impressive stat of all is the percentage difference in long-run pace seen in testing compared to the 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Using Mercedes as a reference, Renault have made a 2.91% gain, more than any other team. Only Haas, McLaren and Williams made improvements in this metric.
I am excited for this new season - i feel Renault must try and get Ricc on the podium otherwise they will lose him. to probably Mercedes in a Swap deal with Bottas..? The data vs Mclaren seemed to suggests they were about 2-3 tenths slower on the same tyre? Fingers crossed for a good race on Sunday..

Blackout

2020 vs 2019 https://i.imgur.com/jkXJTC2.jpg

These 2020 sidepod changes reflect Renault's philosophy/doctrine and situation perfectly.
Renault clearly opted for RB-inspired sidepods/engine cover for 2020, like RP during the 2019 season, https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EAU_fpIWsAA ... ame=medium an engine cover that merges the top airflow and the side air flow more upstream of the diffuser...

But since this is the Renault team, one of the most conservative and thrifty teams*, they chose the easiest and cheapest way to implement that change. They kept the internal parts unchanged (the electronic and mechanic elements below the radiator ducts, the radiators and their ducts and the exhausts) and they 'simply' made the bodywork go wider around the exhausts and made it circumvent those pipes viewtopic.php?p=888270#p888270 and they added the RB-style overcut...
A more ambitious/less tight-fisted team would have reworked the internal parts of the car (the electronic and mechanic elements below the radiator ducts, the radiators and their ducts, the exhausts etc) to improve the undercut too. That's what each team does every year... Actually, Racing point did exactly that during the 2019 season when they moved to this type of aero https://i.imgur.com/Gszfa0c.jpg

*the offcial reason is to spare money and ressources for 2021... It makes sense**... or will make sense in 2021 if they do invest all of these spared efforts and ressources and build an ultra optimized and compromise-less car in 2021.

**they've gone too far in that route recently IMO and that cost them the 4th place in 2019 for example.

Needless to say, this team has a huge room for improvements design-wise. The sidepod is just an example among many others. Just look at the airbox design and the centerline cooling system that remained unchanged since 2018, or the 2020-nose/2019-tub transition https://i.imgur.com/5I7hErj.jpg etc.