2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
falonso81

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

Do we have confirmation that all drivers are healthy? Would be sad if someone gets the virus.

Big Tea

falonso81 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:51
Do we have confirmation that all drivers are healthy? Would be sad if someone gets the virus.
'Twas on the Beeb today that 3 team members have 'self isolated' (one Mclaren, did not catch the others)
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

the EDGE
the EDGE

Big Tea wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 20:00
falonso81 wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:51
'Twas on the Beeb today that 3 team members have 'self isolated' (one Mclaren, did not catch the others)
Haas

TAG

aral wrote:
11 Mar 2020, 19:40
OK, thats it! DAS can be discussed on the appropriate thread, be it the merc team thread or the merc W11 thread. it has nothing to do with the actual GP other than someone MAY make a protest about it. Please use the proper thread to discuss. Thanks
Okay DAS it. tee hee hee.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

F1Krof

My prediction:
Qualy -> Lec, Ver, Ham, Vet, Bot
Race -> Ver, Lec, Vet, Ham, Alb

Wait what?

Yeah... who would've guessed ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Wroom wroom

GTO99

See link for current weather forecast...
https://www.theweathernetwork.com/au/we ... /melbourne
Looks like rain on Fri and then clearing up for the wkn'd with low prob. of precip.

godlameroso

Yeah I said that a few pages back. FP2 is likely getting rained out, FP1 with a super green track won't tell us anything, first glimpse at the pecking order will be P3, rest of the weekend should be dry.
Saishū kōnā

djos

godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:36
Yeah I said that a few pages back. FP2 is likely getting rained out, FP1 with a super green track won't tell us anything, first glimpse at the pecking order will be P3, rest of the weekend should be dry.
I doubt FP2 will be rained out, my system is predicting a 50% chance of 1mm per/hour between 2pm and 5pm - I dont think that's enough to prevent FP2 running.
"In downforce we trust"

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

godlameroso

djos wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:44
godlameroso wrote:
12 Mar 2020, 02:36
I doubt FP2 will be rained out, my system is predicting a 50% chance of 1mm per/hour between 2pm and 5pm - I dont think that's enough to prevent FP2 running.
I'm getting the bulk of the rain ~1630 local time, you're right it's probably not enough to stop running, but no one will really bother. They'd be limited to inters at best, you're not going to learn much for the rest of the weekend other than how the cars will run on inters. At least the ambient temperature will be more representative than winter testing.

FP2 is 1600 to 1730 local time, so the sun will be low as well. Nothing is more annoying that trying to pick your braking spot through the shadows cast by the trees. Luckily it's less of an issue when it's overcast.
Saishū kōnā

Phil

Hamilton being quite vocal about Melbourne not being called off. I am still predicting that the race will be cancelled. I can only assume the reason why it isn't, is because of the legal aspect, who will be compensated etc or if force majeure will kick in. Surely, with the race costing Melbourne 60 million (supposedly), it will become a legal question if the race is cancelled and by whom.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

djos

I’d be very surprised if it got called off, the Australian government actually waited till all the Italian team members had arrived before banning Italians from travelling to Australia.

Trust me, it’s going ahead.
"In downforce we trust"

Sevach
Sevach

Mclaren and Hass people are being tested to see if the virus has spreaded further, the season hangs on this i think.

Wouter

In the mean time two other members of Haas and a Press Officer from another team are tested and in quarantine.

Motor racing-Positive virus tests could scupper Australian GP: senior health official Brett Sutton.

Reuters
Ian Ransom

MELBOURNE -- The season-opening Australian Grand Prix could be scrapped this weekend if Formula One teams report positive tests for the coronavirus among their crew, a senior Australian health official said on Thursday.

Victoria state Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton said if the tests came up positive, other crew members who had been in close contact with the affected trio would need to be quarantined and tested, potentially endangering the race.

"I think for these three crew members, if they turn up positive, we need to consider what it means for their close contacts and if they have a number of close contacts across a number of crews, then those individuals need to be quarantined," Sutton told Melbourne radio station 3AW.

"If that effectively shuts down the race, then so be it, we'll make that call."

Haas and McLaren declined to comment on the progress of the tests but said on Wednesday they expected confirmation either overnight or later on Thursday.
https://nationalpost.com/pmn/health-pmn/motor-racing-positiv e-virus-tests-could-scupper-australian-gp-health-official
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

Welcome to the curve Australia. How special are you feeling? Will 'Australia be different'?

https://rpubs.com/thelilster/583398