2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b

Re: 2020 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 12-15

Red Bull's eagerness to race makes me think their car might have been perfectly suited to this track but we will never know now and we roll onto the next race whenever...

JordanMugen

matt_b wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:27
Red Bull's eagerness to race makes me think their car might have been perfectly suited to this track but we will never know now and we roll onto the next race whenever...
Surely it will be most diligent to immediately cancel all the races before the summer break? That gives maximum time for refunds to be issued and so on.

The feasibility of holding races after the summer break can be assessed by August the 14th, two weeks before the Belgian Grand Prix. It is crucial that future Grand Prixs are cancelled with at least two weeks notice as the Australian Grand Prix cancellation has been very poorly handled.

GhostF1

Error
Last edited by GhostF1 on 13 Mar 2020, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

gandharva

First Race Baku. No summer break. Or even worse.
Last edited by gandharva on 13 Mar 2020, 01:48, edited 1 time in total.

NAPI10

Humble Request to Administrators – Please don’t start ‘Bahrain GP’ thread till FIA officially confirms ‘Race going to happen on 22nd March’.

oT v1

Disgusting treatment of the fans in Oz, at least tell them before they make the journey to the circuit :\
The Power of Dreams

Ringleheim

RZS10 wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:14
If they won't race when everyone already made it to the venue i don't see any chance for any other GP this year as long as as the flu goes around ..........
It sounds like there was no planning or preparation for the eventuality that a team member contracted the virus on location in Australia. That seems to be what derailed the whole thing.

With better planning and contingency plans in place, perhaps they would continue to do races as outlined in Bahrain, with no crowd/spectators present.

Not sure. May very well lose the season.

They may also (if feasible) completely re-work the season schedule in the next few days so as to have a more coherent season and to prevent a large delay in beginning the season.

Spacepace

oT v1 wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:58
Disgusting treatment of the fans in Oz, at least tell them before they make the journey to the circuit :\
Yeah I can't imagine flying to another country to be told it's been cancelled...🤯

markc

The issue is - and this is truly where the evil of money and power is shown:
Its not fit healthy people that necessarily need to worry, but they can be carriers of this, and they can pass it on to people who do need to worry - the incubation period is long enough for a lot of people to be infected and therefore affected. Everyone knows someone who could die as a result of infection. It is for everyone to look after these people by not exposing themselves to risk and therefore the vulnerable.

In this case, as ever, it was money that made the calls that we've seen and the people affected are the ones that spent money buying tickets and travelling - as you rightly point out, the poor fans.

Bad on FIA
Bad on FOM
Bad on Aus GP

Teams could have called it earlier too. Yes there are contracts and that will be where the lawyers will make more money!!

I lied earlier when I said rant over but now</end rant>

Spacepace

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:24
This wouldn't have happened under Bernie's watch

"Your racing, get on with it"
Great man!

Ringleheim

Spacepace wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 02:11
Unc1eM0nty wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:24
This wouldn't have happened under Bernie's watch

"Your racing, get on with it"
Great man!
This whole incident today reminds me of the driver's strike in South Africa, 1982.

Bernie sorted that one out too.

yener

godlameroso wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 01:09
And with it the whole season. See ya in 2021.
This is what i meant in my earlier post. We won't have a single race this year. The amount of infected people is growing with a factor of 1.3 everyday and there is no cure and their wont be a cure the coming next 6 months.

So no F1 in 2020!
"Life is about passions - Thank you for sharing mine" MSC

Ringleheim

yener wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 02:25
godlameroso wrote:
This is what i meant in my earlier post. We won't have a single race this year. The amount of infected people is growing with a factor of 1.3 everyday and there is no cure and their wont be a cure the coming next 6 months.

So no F1 in 2020!
Yes, but the international state of affairs was known a week or 2 ago, and everyone still decided to hold the race. The question is whether or not there is a set of circumstances that would allow the FIA/F1/teams to go ahead and stage a race, probably without a crowd in attendance.

If there is no scenario that would let the parties feel comfortable staging a race, I agree, the season is finished already.

This will all get worse and is going nowhere for 3-6 months as an initial estimate.

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Australian weekend seems to have gone off the rails when the McLaren crewman was said to contract the virus, and then McLaren withdrew from the event.

If there is better planning/preparation for that eventuality at a future race, perhaps the race could continue?

If the teams, as a matter of policy, have already decided it is too dangerous to the public image to risk the health of their team members, then yes, the season is done.

Or at least the majority of it.

I wonder if anything can be done to salvage anything from it, including any crazy ideas that might be implemented.

SmallSoldier

yener wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

So no F1 in 2020!
With enough time and preparation, they might be able to make it so that races are run without public... But with the travel bans increasing and teams with bases in trouble areas (Ferrari and ATR) it will be complicated to see any actual racing for a few months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

subcritical71

SmallSoldier wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 02:36
yener wrote:
godlameroso wrote:

So no F1 in 2020!
With enough time and preparation, they might be able to make it so that races are run without public... But with the travel bans increasing and teams with bases in trouble areas (Ferrari and ATR) it will be complicated to see any actual racing for a few months

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
And don't forget, the pit crew have families and affairs in those affected regions. It's asking a lot, even by F1 standards, to ask them to stay out of country to support their respective teams.