IndyCar Series

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
bill shoe

Re: IndyCar Series

IndyCar's cancelled St Petersberg GP has decided not to refund tickets. Instead, paid ticket holders can use their tickets to the cancelled event to either (1) get tickets next year or (2) apply their tickets to other events by the same promoter. This is why Indycar promoters have a reputation for playing dirty.

https://racer.com/2020/03/15/st-petersb ... ment-plan/

Just_a_fan

In a jurisdiction with customer protection in place, you'd be able to get a refund...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Scorpaguy

Here in the States, promoters do this regularly....quite a shame. A huge black eye for IndyCar as well. I would suggest ticket holders and forum members complain directly to IndyCar rather than the soul less promoters.

subcritical71

Ferrari looking at the IndyCar series according to MotorsportsWeek! :shock:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/05/ ... -for-2022/

djos

subcritical71 wrote:
14 May 2020, 23:12
Ferrari looking at the IndyCar series according to MotorsportsWeek! :shock:

https://www.motorsportweek.com/2020/05/ ... -for-2022/
Reading between the lines:

“We have more sponsorship money than we are allowed to spend in F1 and figure we should probably spend some of the left overs on Motorsport in our largest international market.”
Last edited by djos on 15 May 2020, 11:15, edited 1 time in total.
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan

I think Ferrari going to other series is a good thing. They need to be reasonably successful, however, in order not to "dilute the brand", but they also need to have the strength to stay for a while if they don't do well initially. An interesting balancing act.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

jjn9128

Are they going to use the Chevy or Honda engine? Bit of a non-story for me, it's also based on something Binotto said about a month ago about the F1 budget cap meaning to retain staff they could look into expanding into other series. It's part of the chess game/politicking of F1, not quite Ferrari saying they're packing their toys and leaving, but almost.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AMG.Tzan

jjn9128 wrote:
15 May 2020, 10:59
Are they going to use the Chevy or Honda engine? Bit of a non-story for me, it's also based on something Binotto said about a month ago about the F1 budget cap meaning to retain staff they could look into expanding into other series. It's part of the chess game/politicking of F1, not quite Ferrari saying they're packing their toys and leaving, but almost.
They'll build their own engine probably.

And they aren't packing their toys and leaving...they'll just be both in F1 and another top line motorsport!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

jjn9128

AMG.Tzan wrote:
15 May 2020, 11:42
jjn9128 wrote:
15 May 2020, 10:59
They'll build their own engine probably.

And they aren't packing their toys and leaving...they'll just be both in F1 and another top line motorsport!
Excuse me - "it's not quite the usual Ferrari threat to pack up their toys and leave when something about the F1 rules - in this case a budget cap which all but wipes out their financial advantage - rubs them up the wrong way".
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Jolle

Old Ferrari tricks. If it’s for keeping personal busy and employed: engines are not in the budget cap. As for IndyCar, look at McLaren: the team that is running their three cars is 60 people big, from mechanic to accounting and all US based. It’s not like the good ‘ol days where you can design your own car.

subcritical71

If they are looking for a series to offload some personnel to I would think IndyCar is their best bet at the moment. NASCAR is a non-starter, they are already in most sports car series. IndyCar brings the open wheel aspect as well as hybrid engines in 2022. I don't think this is a threat in any way but more of a realization that the budget cap will happen and if they don't plan for it now a lot of people will be without a job.

Scorpaguy

Big Red in Indy...I do not buy it. ABSOLUTELY nothing to gain IMHO in a spec series. HOWEVER, there has been some chatter of Roger wanting another engine manufacturer....sooooo???

Still, I would bet on the top tier of WEC before Indy (but what the hell do i know, I said they would never sign Sainz). Not sure how I would react to seeing Bino flummoxing over qualifying 34th at the 500 :-({|=

Scorpaguy

Scorpaguy wrote:
15 May 2020, 23:32
Big Red in Indy...I do not buy it. ABSOLUTELY nothing to gain IMHO in a spec series. HOWEVER, there has been some chatter of Roger wanting another engine manufacturer....sooooo???

Still, I would bet on the top tier of WEC before Indy (but what the hell do i know, I said they would never sign Sainz). Not sure how I would react to seeing Bino flummoxing over qualifying 34th at the 500 :-({|=
...after hitting "post" on the above...a flash! Is this Nando's ride for his 500 assault?

...nah.

Jolle

Maybe they could engineer a Chrysler engine in Maranello? Would make a little more sense

subcritical71

A spec series may also be a good avenue for their driver academy. Placing their drivers against another 20 somewhat equal cars where talent is more important than which car you are driving.