Could the 2020 Italian GP be in trouble ?

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Restomaniac

Could the 2020 Italian GP be in trouble ?

Milan is in lock down Monza is only a short distance away.

Now I know it’s months away but if as they expect a vaccine is not going to be available until the end of the year can we expect this to magically disappear or is Milan and that region in major trouble?

LM10

Re: Could the 2020 Italian GP be in trouble ?

Restomaniac wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 12:10

Now I know it’s months away but if as they expect a vaccine is not going to be available until the end of the year can we expect this to magically disappear or is Milan and that region in major trouble?
You don’t need magic for a viral epidemic to disappear at some point. Influenza appears and disappears every year. The wave of Coronavirus is prognosed to decrease when the temperatures rise.

Just_a_fan

If there's enough time, the virus might just do its thing in the local population and then, effectively, die out as there are no new people to infect. That is what quarantine is for after all, allowing the disease to develop and die out in a limited population.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

DChemTech

LM10 wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 12:27
Restomaniac wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 12:10

You don’t need magic for a viral epidemic to disappear at some point. Influenza appears and disappears every year. The wave of Coronavirus is prognosed to decrease when the temperatures rise.
Exactly, increasing temperature (and humidity) should reduce the lifetime of the virus considerably, so by the time some of the currently problematic regions (monza, vietnam) are visited, things should be better (actually, maybe the same applies to Shanghai. That place tends to be hot as hell in summer - but there the decision is already taken). So I wouldn't be too worried about it.

And if you are, well, you can be worried about any race - because why would the current hotbeds of infection represent those in a couple of weeks/months? ;) Every GP could be under threat by the time we're there, but hopefully by that time the virus is already in decline.
Last edited by DChemTech on 25 Feb 2020, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.

outsid3r

Serie A - the top-tier Italian football league have had to cancel some games because of this. The way forward will be to still have games without any spectators in the stadium, until the spread is under control. F1 can maybe consider doing the same if it comes to it, although i'm not sure who would be financing the track if tickets aren't sold

nzjrs

I look forward to one of these threads for every grand prix!

AJI
AJI

nzjrs wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:16
Me too! It's great that it's getting warm again. Lucky there isn't a southern hemisphere or there could be a real problem.

Big Tea

This weekends 6N rugby is off. So it would be considered.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Rodak

For anyone interested in a country by country breakdown, here is the Johns Hopkins Covid-19 tracking site. This is an authoritative and accurate count, although it does lag a bit. I'm not being alarmist or sensational, but there may be problems with other GP's because of the virus. Joe Saward's post today is a rational look at the potential problems.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 7b48e9ecf6

Ringleheim

nzjrs wrote:
25 Feb 2020, 13:16
I do not!

:lol:

3jawchuck

Maybe they should be all combined into one thread. "2020's lurgy panic threatening grands prix...?"

hollus

Rivals, not enemies.

Ringleheim

The question right now is what races will NOT be affected by COVID-19.

Seriously, what set of circumstances/contingency plans would allow the parties involved to feel confident enough to go through with a race? And would they allow a crowd to be present at the race?

PlatinumZealot

Ringleheim wrote:
13 Mar 2020, 02:14
The question right now is what races will NOT be affected by COVID-19.

Seriously, what set of circumstances/contingency plans would allow the parties involved to feel confident enough to go through with a race? And would they allow a crowd to be present at the race?

The respective government health ministries ultimately decide. They will be asking, do we know if these aliens are bringing a new wave of the virus with them? How can we screen them and prevent exposure to our people?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ringleheim

The USA is just sinking into Wave 2 of the virus now, and it's going to be much worse than the first wave.