DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Slo Poke

Re: DAS Dual Axis Steering...Legality??

Whether or not Newey backed by Red Bull can show it’s main affect is aero is a little beside the point for this year, as the fia have already allowed it. As time goes on however, if we see any racing, the mercs are likely to one, two what’s left if the fezzers and Red Bull can’t find enough space for it. The ingenuity’s a doddle as the rack merely slides fore and aft because the wheels only migrate a few degrees. Those degrees though have very broad shoulders and the exact amount of downforce can be piled on top of them to neutralise aero balance from lights out to flag. Rough estimate, five, six laps; two seconds down the road.
Plus, if the mercs are really canny they could do what the fezzers were upto with the ffm and earn themselves a settlement to gain extra heritage or maybe even a veto!

The paddock doth work atrociously.
So too does daimler Stuttgart, from what I hear!

Slo Poke

As a brief to anyone concerned: adoption of das by any team not running an updated differential, I would think to be somewhat pointless.
(Pun unintended).

Pyrone89

Enough time for the others now to implement it
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Slo Poke

Pyrone89 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 02:45
Enough time for the others now to implement it
Pyrone89:
Not really, as even with the might and intelligent expertise of Honda behind them Red Bull are basically nowhere. Honda definitely know the destination but the A-road they’re on has too many corners. There’s just one team that has what was offered. Although I’ll bet that came with an acceptable caveat.
All done for the all-round good of f1 of course.

djos

F1 has brought the mid year lock down forward and extended it so no one can take advantage of the lack of racing.
"In downforce we trust"

siskue2005

djos wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 04:36
F1 has brought the mid year lock down forward and extended it so no one can take advantage of the lack of racing.
But that is only 21 days
by April 7th to June everyone can take advantage of the late start

bluechris

So anyone has any clue what the other teams will do? I mean with all this time with no racing for sure they can implement it but it's a double sword meaning if they do it and its banned eventually then all will be for nothing.

If i had a team personally i would had implement it since i believe Mercedes has a GO on it for multiple reasons including the latest with the Ferrari PU where they did a back step on that. Some sort of arrangement must happened that included DAS.

bill shoe

Skeptical that DAS was significant enough to include in any fuel-flow settlement with Ferrari. Also, seems likely that FIA will find DAS legal anyway, so even less incentive for Merc to worry about it.

izzy

bill shoe wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 14:27
Skeptical that DAS was significant enough to include in any fuel-flow settlement with Ferrari. Also, seems likely that FIA will find DAS legal anyway, so even less incentive for Merc to worry about it.
yes there's obviously zero connection between the Ferrari fuel thing and DAS. It's Red Bull who are fretting about DAS anyway, not Ferrari

subcritical71

In case no-one else has seen this;

It appears that Merc were using the DAS system at the Hungaroring in 2018. I'm not 100% convinced either way. There is a rain drop that gets on the camera lens which I believe is creating the 'movement'.

MtthsMlw

DAS now legal in 2021.. unless they change that with a TD

subcritical71

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:22
Now with 1.x seasons to have an advantage, surely others will follow by incorporating it into their designs.

matt_b

MtthsMlw wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 19:22
We still need to wait for the result of a protest when the season finally starts to find out its true legality, so much uncertainty for other teams whether to spend millions and dedicate huge resources while Mercedes are working on other car upgrades no doubt.

siskue2005

subcritical71 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 15:51

https://twitter.com/Luca_Flaminio/statu ... 1112150016

It appears that Merc were using the DAS system at the Hungaroring in 2018. I'm not 100% convinced either way. There is a rain drop that gets on the camera lens which I believe is creating the 'movement'.
Did they have some kind of rudimentary system in 2018? interesting

3jawchuck

subcritical71 wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 15:51
https://twitter.com/Luca_Flaminio/statu ... 1112150016
That looks more like distortion. Other stuff in and around the cockpit moves at the same time.