[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SmallSoldier

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

diffuser wrote:There are so many ways they can get it wrong....remember the gear ratio error in 2018? They figured out after it was too late that they were too short for the Renault PU. One of the causes of the top speed problem.
True, issues could be found... But, I much rather they find them with the current regulations than with the new ones... One less variable to be concerned about when they build the car with the new regs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diffuser

SmallSoldier wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 18:53
diffuser wrote:There are so many ways they can get it wrong....remember the gear ratio error in 2018? They figured out after it was too late that they were too short for the Renault PU. One of the causes of the top speed problem.
True, issues could be found... But, I much rather they find them with the current regulations than with the new ones... One less variable to be concerned about when they build the car with the new regs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed

Jambier

Mercedes confirmed that McLaren will have a Mercedes engine in 2021
So this is very interesting for us:

- In 2020 (if there is a season) we will see a Mcl35 with the Renault engine
- In 2021, the same Mcl35 but with the Mercedes engine

mclaren111

Now the boys & girls at MTC has 3 big projects...

MCL35 Renualt, MCL35 Mercedes & MCL36 - New Regs...

With the new team in place this can be very good for us...

Jambier

So McLaren is looking for an exception to adapt the engine (meaning adapt gearbox, suspension etc)

Chassis, gearbox, suspension should be frozen for next year

Ground Effect

Jambier wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 18:45
So McLaren is looking for an exception to adapt the engine (meaning adapt gearbox, suspension etc)

I believe the decision to push the changes to 2022 required all teams to be in agreement. I doubt McLaren would have agreed without first ensuring the wouldn’t be left in a fix
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

proteus

I dont like where this is going. Once again they are trying to bite more than they can chew. If this was old Mclaren with big fat title sponsorship, best technical staff, factory engine and official lubricants and fuel partner, then this might work (it didnt with switch to Honda), but in the position they are in i dont think they can pull it off.

It would be better to lay low as they did for 2019 season and wait for the right moment to seize another factory deal and official petrochemichal partner. Focus to be 4th best, even if that means 2,3,4 seasons. Still better than risk it all and crash and burn. They are on dangerous field right now, they have fallen from elite position, last season they climbed back up the order a bit, buty they are far from their financial security of the past, operating with half of the budget.

In current position chances for beating any of top 3 teams are almost zero.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

diffuser

mclaren111 wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 12:48

I'm sure they'll still be called MCL35,MCL36 and MCL37. Plus you still really can't compare the MCL35 and MCL36 because the McL36 could have aero upgrades.

Anyways how that is all gonna play out is still pretty much up in the air.

diffuser

proteus wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:52
I dont like where this is going. Once again they are trying to bite more than they can chew. If this was old Mclaren with big fat title sponsorship, best technical staff, factory engine and official lubricants and fuel partner, then this might work (it didnt with switch to Honda), but in the position they are in i dont think they can pull it off.

It would be better to lay low as they did for 2019 season and wait for the right moment to seize another factory deal and official petrochemichal partner. Focus to be 4th best, even if that means 2,3,4 seasons. Still better than risk it all and crash and burn. They are on dangerous field right now, they have fallen from elite position, last season they climbed back up the order a bit, buty they are far from their financial security of the past, operating with half of the budget.

In current position chances for beating any of top 3 teams are almost zero.

I don't think the situations are compareable. The Merc Pu is a known quantity while at the time the Honda PU was a big unknown.

They have said in the past that they wouldn't be able to compete with the top 3 immediatley after the budget cap intrioduction. So this might be something they do to collected Merc PU data in 2021 to be better prepared in 2022. Don't forget there is s till gonna be a budget cap in 2021 for everyone so nobody ios gonna have the things you mentioned.

Plus with the new regs PU suppliers have to share PU, engine maps and fuel. There nolonger isn't a reason that a non "works" partner can't win.

JRindt

Jambier wrote:

Interesting. If that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that the new components will have performance improvements that aren’t exactly related to the engine change.
Of course, McLaren will try to pass them off as essential for engine change. They might steal a march on their opponents next year, if most of the chassis is frozen. Would be interesting to see how FIA will police that.

bauc

diffuser wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:53
mclaren111 wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 12:48

I'm sure they'll still be called MCL35,MCL36 and MCL37. Plus you still really can't compare the MCL35 and MCL36 because the McL36 could have aero upgrades.

Anyways how that is all gonna play out is still pretty much up in the air.
What about MCL-35-B, C or D

Like in the good old days :)
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

NiyolHuayra

And bring back the chrome wit the papaya :D

_cerber1

Jambier

JRindt wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 21:06
Jambier wrote:

Interesting. If that’s the case, I’m pretty sure that the new components will have performance improvements that aren’t exactly related to the engine change.
Of course, McLaren will try to pass them off as essential for engine change. They might steal a march on their opponents next year, if most of the chassis is frozen. Would be interesting to see how FIA will police that.
According to Motorsport (In French) for 2021

- Gearbox freeze
- Chassis freeze
- Other part still in discussion

Mclaren confirmed they will use Mcl35 but with Mercedes engine. They will be able to make some changes for safety reason (all teams)
So McLaren will change:

- Rear suspension
- Engine and gearbox of course
- Engine cover but also.. aero, in order to cool down the engine

https://fr.motorsport.com/f1/news/mclar ... s/4772354/

So two things:

- McLaren will have to work on Mcl35 B and Mcl36 for 2022, this is a double work
- But they may gain a competitive advantage there. What will be the reaction of other teams then?

mclaren111

NiyolHuayra wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:39
And bring back the chrome wit the papaya :D

The Chrome paint is to heavy... One of the reasons they went with matt finish this year...