Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
izzy

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Andres125sx wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 13:20
That debate about artificial sound for EVs is completely absurd IMO. Any modern petrol car, when moving at those speeds (20kmh or below) makes virtually no noise at all. Modern petrol cars can´t be heared when at idle. When into the city with noise all around you can´t hear it even when moving much faster so, are they adding artificial sound to ICEs too?

People must get used to look around, with EVs but also with petrol cars, and now with electric bikes, electric skates... are we adding artificial sound to all of them? Great, then cities will become an even noiser surrounding with EVs because people can´t look around to avoid being run over #-o
yes i kind of agree, i mean bicycles do 20kmh easily, tho on a quiet surface it is eerie how quiet EV's can be. I think they are quieter than ICE's, in car parks and places like that

I thought it was quite fun and cool how they're putting that thought into it, and they only have to be 40dB at 2m that's not loud, especially when they do this:
BMW is taking a slightly different approach. Vitale has been working with Hollywood composer Hans Zimmer to develop a sound for its EVs. “We want to go for something unexpected,” said Zimmer. “Technical is not our approach now; we want new possibilities. We use relationships that can be related to chords, but it’s not musical.”

The duo produced a trial noise for BMW that Vitale described as “very musical, and triggered by the driver, who is a performer”. “The driver expresses himself,” he said.

3jawchuck

BMW is taking a slightly different approach. Vitale has been working with Hollywood composer Hans Zimmer to develop a sound for its EVs. “We want to go for something unexpected,” said Zimmer. “Technical is not our approach now; we want new possibilities. We use relationships that can be related to chords, but it’s not musical.”
The duo produced a trial noise for BMW that Vitale described as “very musical, and triggered by the driver, who is a performer”. “The driver expresses himself,” he said.
What a load of pretentious hogwash :D

Not only that, but you need a sound that will make people pay attention and not just ignore it as some street artist playing some experimental noise music.

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 14:05
Andres125sx wrote:
That debate about artificial sound for EVs is completely absurd IMO. Any modern petrol car, when moving at those speeds (20kmh or below) makes virtually no noise at all. Modern petrol cars can´t be heared when at idle. When into the city with noise all around you can´t hear it even when moving much faster so, are they adding artificial sound to ICEs too?

People must get used to look around, with EVs but also with petrol cars, and now with electric bikes, electric skates... are we adding artificial sound to all of them? Great, then cities will become an even noiser surrounding with EVs because people can´t look around to avoid being run over #-o
yes i kind of agree, i mean bicycles do 20kmh easily, tho on a quiet surface it is eerie how quiet EV's can be. I think they are quieter than ICE's, in car parks and places like that

I thought it was quite fun and cool how they're putting that thought into it, and they only have to be 40dB at 2m that's not loud, especially when they do this:

I think tyres make more noise than the engine with most modern cars.
There is a road running near my house, which is in a very quiet area and the tyre noise is 'deafening' in comparison.

I hear many cars pass but very few engines.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 16:44
I think tyres make more noise than the engine with most modern cars.
There is a road running near my house, which is in a very quiet area and the tyre noise is 'deafening' in comparison.

I hear many cars pass but very few engines.
yes they do at speed, there's a crossover, on average tyres make more of the noise over 55kph, they say, and below that it's more the engine. And on smooth tarmac in a carpark an EV does just start moving, it's creepy :ghost:

And yes the Holywood composer is a bit extreme isn't it :lol: . Brand, baby :D but we're going to be hearing them a lot so i'm glad they're making an effort with it, and learning not to make them sound like spaceships

djos

Andres125sx wrote:

I agree, I’m a bit of a lefty but I agree with those on the right who think folk should take some personal responsibility!

If you are too stupid to cross a road safely, then perhaps we are better off without you in the gene pool.
"In downforce we trust"

djos

3jawchuck wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 16:31
What a load of pretentious hogwash :D

Not only that, but you need a sound that will make people pay attention and not just ignore it as some street artist playing some experimental noise music.
Don’t worry, if BMW drivers adopt this with the same enthusiasm as they have indicators, we’ll never hear it. :D
"In downforce we trust"

Big Tea

They will soon get fed up with people waving them down for ice cream
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

J.A.W.

Big Tea wrote:
17 Mar 2020, 22:35
They will soon get fed up with people waving them down for ice cream
Yeah, the dreaded 'Greensleeves' is the Pavlovian stimulus for the ice cream van
around here, & duly played at ~110 decibels..

How long ago was it in UKGB, that electric milk floats finally replaced the horse 'n' cart?
About 1/2 a century or so perhaps, & do they still do door-to-door deliveries, nowadays?

I recall the municipal trolley-bus from my youth, which had replaced the trams, a far more
sensible use of road space frankly, & way better than stinkin' diesel buses, but sadly they
fell foul of vested interests/corrupt politicians...

H
"Well, we knocked the bastard off!"

Ed Hilary on being 1st to top Mt Everest,
(& 1st to do a surface traverse across Antarctica,
in good Kiwi style - riding a Massey Ferguson farm
tractor - with a few extemporised mod's to hack the task).

Just_a_fan

J.A.W. wrote:
19 Mar 2020, 09:26

How long ago was it in UKGB, that electric milk floats finally replaced the horse 'n' cart?
About 1/2 a century or so perhaps, & do they still do door-to-door deliveries, nowadays?
Nearer 70 years than 50 but yes, they are in living memory (not mine!).

We still get milk deliveries although most people just get theirs from the supermarket. We have ours delivered, partly because it's supporting a bloke in a job, and partly because we don't use a huge amount - about 4-5 pints a week - so the cost is not bank breaking. It's nice to have milk delivered to the door in glass bottles. The float is a diesel van, however.

The milkman also delivers other stuff if required and it can be ordered online for delivery. We sometimes make use of that facility but only rarely.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

I was assuming electric bikes would take longer than electric cars to get closer to their ICE equivalents, but maybe I was wrong

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... sr-s/2020/

izzy

Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:14
I was assuming electric bikes would take longer than electric cars to get closer to their ICE equivalents, but maybe I was wrong

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/page ... -srs-1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfU_FHtyDlc
yes i don't know, i'd say you were right in the beginning. i mean a range of 70 miles means 35 miles out then turn round, that could be like 20 minutes each way

strad

While I think it looks and overall sounds great on paper but the range for over $20,000 kinda balks me.
Highway, @ 70 mph 82 miles
Love the looks and specs otherwise though. :wink:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Phil

izzy wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:36
yes i don't know, i'd say you were right in the beginning. i mean a range of 70 miles means 35 miles out then turn round, that could be like 20 minutes each way
With that kind of range, they should have added a pair of pedals. :twisted:
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

izzy

Phil wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:37
izzy wrote:
With that kind of range, they should have added a pair of pedals. :twisted:
Lol, or something! but they do just need the next step in batteries don't they

Andres125sx

izzy wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:14

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/page ... -srs-1.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfU_FHtyDlc
At an average speed of 160kmh/100mph? Where do you live to be able to do that kind of average and still maintain your driving license?

If you wathed the video, in the review he did 200km/125miles and there was 20% battery left, and according to the reviewer their pace was far from slow

Anycase none said electic bikes are comparable to ICE bikes today, but with this one they´re much much closer than I was assuming. I know watching at absurd range numbers at max speed is fun to bash electric bikes :roll: but, what´s the range and specially expected lifespan of an ICE if you go constantly at max speed? #-o

This battery is guaranteed for 5 years with unlimited km, and they claim it last over 300000km/190000miles. With no maintenance at all, no filters, no oil, no chain to change or lube, no valves to adjust...