[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Mantium Challenge 2020 Race Car Design CFD Competition

Given the present world wide situation we have decided to make some changes to our plans for the 2020 Mantium Challenge. Like the real F1 championship we are going to postpone our introduction of the next generation of F1 cars and instead continue with last years rules set, allowing you all to get started now if you have some enforced "free time" on your hands.

For anyone new to the competition here is a brief rundown:-

The aim of the competition is to design the aerodynamics of a "Grand Prix-style" car using 3D CAD. We hold a number of Virtual races throughout the year. You submit your car design to us and we run the CFD analysis of it using Mantium Flow CFD software. We then use the aerodynamic coefficients to run the cars through Virtual Stopwatch laptime software and calculate the fastest car over one lap.

Entry to the competition is free, and you can use free software to design the car (for example, FreeCAD), and to run your own CFD tests (Mantium Flow).

The car design is very much similar, but not identical to F1 2020 rules. Some areas are more restrictive, other areas are less restrictive; We did not intend on exactly matching the real F1 rules, so please be aware of this when determining your designs; the Mantium Rulebook is final and no reference is made to the real F1 rules when determining eligibility. :-)

Who should enter?
  • Anyone who has an interest in the technical aspects of modern race cars
  • Anyone interested in aerodynamics
  • Anyone interested in learning to use CFD software
  • Anyone wanting to improve their 3D CAD skills
  • Students wanting to add something extra to their CV
  • Anyone on F1Technical who claims to have a good aerodynamic knowledge -here's your chance to prove it, :)
We have at least one previous competitor who went on to a job in F1, and previous competitors are also showing some real talent as future race car engineers.

The provisional calendar is as follows:

10.05.2020: Monaco Grand Prix - Monaco Circuit
21.06.2020: Austrian Grand Prix - Red Bull Ring (A1-Ring)
23.08.2020: Italian Grand Prix - Autodromo Nazionale Monza
27.09.2020: Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka Circuit
01.11.2020: Brazilian Grand Prix - Autodromo Interlagos

For entry and registration go to

https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-register-2020/

For those who do not know:-

User LVDH is Andre, he runs Mantium CAE and does the CFD Analysis.
My name is Richard (surname Machin) and I wrote the Virtual Stopwatch lap time program.

Good luck, and we hope to see you on the grid shortly!
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

Koldskaal

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

:o Signed up!

Development of my car from last year started plateauing towards the end. Expect an entirely new car!

Also: calendar looking good! More than a month between races and a good variety as well.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

machin

Great news! Glad to have you back. I hope the Corona Virus isn't affecting you (or any of our little community) too directly. Stay safe and design race cars from your homes, :-)

wb92

Signed up as well!

Glad that schedule is stretched more than last year.
Will regulation templates change for 2020 or will stay same as MVRC 2019?

Good luck for everyone with designing new cars :)

EDiT:
Small request for MantiumFlow post-processing - will it be possible to turn off 3D car surfaces on X-, Y-, Z- sections leaving 2D section only as output? also if possible to do switches for isometric outputs like streamlines and isosurfaces? I don't use them so much, but they take quite a lot of time to post-process.
MVRC - WBRacing

machin

wb92 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 19:00
Will regulation templates change for 2020 or will stay same as MVRC 2019?
Welcome back onboard!

I can’t comment on post processing stuff but I can confirm that all templates and given parts will remain the same as last year.

(Just a little info; the parts for the next generation of F1 cars are about 90% complete, but we know there will be some teething problems introducing new rules, and we wanted to allow you guys to use some of the spare time you probably now have on your hands in a useful way, so we decided to delay them and use last year’s rules. Since that is also similar to the real life situation we’ll still be a year ahead of them designing the new ground effects cars, 😊)

LVDH

Hi guys,
I can see the two registrations. Everybody, who wants to compete in 2020 has to re-register from now on, even if you have signed up just a few days ago.
Like Richard pointed out, we will pretty much continue from where we left last year. There are no new features. We were working on them, but sorting out the details would take us another few weeks and given the current situation we decided it would be better to give people who are forced to stay at home, which should be the case all over the world now, even if it is not enforced by the respective governments, we wanted to give you something interesting to do. I have had the chance to speak to a well known F1 aero engineer about MVRC and did some deep investigations into your cars after that and now know there is still a lot of performance you guys can extract out of your cars.

Good luck for everyone, it is time for MVRC 2020!

CAEdevice

I did not expect that news today. Sounds good, I approve the decision to keep the same rules. I am interested but not sure yet if I have enough time... I Am tempted anyway.

machin

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 22:18
I did not expect that news today. Sounds good, I approve the decision to keep the same rules. I am interested but not sure yet if I have enough time... I Am tempted anyway.
I hope you and your family are OK Matteo, that's the main thing.

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 22:48
CAEdevice wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 22:18
I hope you and your family are OK Matteo, that's the main thing.
Thank you Richard, the virus touched us but we are all fine, we are only worried about grandparents.
The problem is that when companies are stopped, there is even more work than when things are going well, also for this reason the choice to race with last year's cars is useful, because it allows us not to skip races and develop new ideas calmly. I hope that you, André and all the partecipants are fine.

CAEdevice

LVDH wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:40
I have had the chance to speak to a well known F1 aero engineer about MVRC and did some deep investigations into your cars after that and now know there is still a lot of performance you guys can extract out of your cars.
Wow, interesting... how deep did he investigate?

LVDH

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 23:17
The problem is that when companies are stopped, there is even more work than when things are going well, also for this reason the choice to race with last year's cars is useful, because it allows us not to skip races and develop new ideas calmly.
Yes, that is the aspect that actually surprised me as well. I thought there would be some free time I could use to fix things around the house and work on all my crazy side projects. The reality is, I am happy when the work day is over and I did not have to kill my son.

CAEdevice wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 23:26
LVDH wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:40
I have had the chance to speak to a well known F1 aero engineer about MVRC and did some deep investigations into your cars after that and now know there is still a lot of performance you guys can extract out of your cars.
Wow, interesting... how deep did he investigate?
Pretty deep. But you do not have to get too nervous about missing something. There are two rule changes that would help you all out a lot. And no, it is not the step in the floor plank.

Koldskaal

LVDH wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 08:57
There are two rule changes that would help you all out a lot. And no, it is not the step in the floor plank.
They had us in the first half, not gonna lie

Are the changes made public? I don’t see any significant changes except that the drivers neck is now a separate part. But that may just be Solidworks not behaving.

The rules page says: "2019 & start of 2020" so will the changes be introduced mid-season or am I missing something?
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

Joe7218

Just signed up as Team Logozzo :)
Never done this before (although I followed along last year) is there anything I should know?

machin

Koldskaal wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:48
Are the changes made public? I don’t see any significant changes except that the drivers neck is now a separate part. But that may just be Solidworks not behaving.

The rules page says: "2019 & start of 2020" so will the changes be introduced mid-season or am I missing something?
Andre and I have only discussed keeping the rules exactly the same. I think that Andre is saying that two rule changes would make your life easier, but that we're not going to implement them, :-)
LVDH wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 08:57
There are two rule changes that would help you all out a lot. And no, it is not the step in the floor plank.

jjn9128

Joe7218 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:50
Just signed up as Team Logozzo :)
Never done this before (although I followed along last year) is there anything I should know?
Cooling is king. Get your cooling right first then pile on the downforce.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica