Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
izzy

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 13:15
izzy wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:36
Andres125sx wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:14
I was assuming electric bikes would take longer than electric cars to get closer to their ICE equivalents, but maybe I was wrong

https://mcn-images.bauersecure.com/page ... -srs-1.jpg

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-rev ... sr-s/2020/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfU_FHtyDlc
yes i don't know, i'd say you were right in the beginning. i mean a range of 70 miles means 35 miles out then turn round, that could be like 20 minutes each way
At an average speed of 160kmh/100mph? Where do you live to be able to do that kind of average and still maintain your driving license?

If you wathed the video, in the review he did 200km/125miles and there was 20% battery left, and according to the reviewer their pace was far from slow

Anycase none said electic bikes are comparable to ICE bikes today, but with this one they´re much much closer than I was assuming. I know watching at absurd range numbers at max speed is fun to bash electric bikes :roll: but, what´s the range and specially expected lifespan of an ICE if you go constantly at max speed? #-o

This battery is guaranteed for 5 years with unlimited km, and they claim it last over 300000km/190000miles. With no maintenance at all, no filters, no oil, no chain to change or lube, no valves to adjust...
Well why do you have a big bike? To go fast obviously!! You don't want to be quite as limited as that, i don't think, but it depends on your lifestyle and everything, sure. I bet an electric bike is fantastic to drive, but i just don't think the technology is quite mainstream just yet, like it is with cars

Pyrone89

So what will this whole coronacrisis do with EV vs Oldy sales? Is this a blow or opportunity?
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Andres125sx

izzy wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 14:37
Well why do you have a big bike? To go fast obviously!! You don't want to be quite as limited as that, i don't think, but it depends on your lifestyle and everything, sure. I bet an electric bike is fantastic to drive, but i just don't think the technology is quite mainstream just yet, like it is with cars

Going fast is one thing, you can just enjoy the acceleration, or do some straight with no traffic very fast, but doing an average of 160kmh for more than 100km is a very different thing. If you really do those averages on open roads sorry but you´re a danger for everyone around you

About the technology not mature enough for being mainstream, agree, but it´s getting closer quickly and to me it was a surprise it´s so close today

izzy

Andres125sx wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 16:09
izzy wrote:

Going fast is one thing, you can just enjoy the acceleration, or do some straight with no traffic very fast, but doing an average of 160kmh for more than 100km is a very different thing. If you really do those averages on open roads sorry but you´re a danger for everyone around you

About the technology not mature enough for being mainstream, agree, but it´s getting closer quickly and to m4e it was a surprise it´s so close today
20 minutes was a teeny bit exaggerating :) tho at the same time that's to zero which you wouldn't want to risk. Anyway i wasn't meaning to put them down, i love the concept

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 17:04
Andres125sx wrote:
izzy wrote:

About the technology not mature enough for being mainstream, agree, but it´s getting closer quickly and to m4e it was a surprise it´s so close today
20 minutes was a teeny bit exaggerating :) tho at the same time that's to zero which you wouldn't want to risk. Anyway i wasn't meaning to put them down, i love the concept
This is me. I do not like going fast, but I like going quickly. I argue with my bike that I don't like going over 80 and it says it does not like going under 80 :twisted:

Edit

ooops this was reply to Andres125s post sorry
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Phil

Andres125sx wrote:
If you wathed the video, in the review he did 200km/125miles and there was 20% battery left, and according to the reviewer their pace was far from slow
I happened to watch the video you posted and he doesn't say anything near about 125miles. He said the following:

- in their road trip, they did 70 miles required 77% of the available range, thus he estimates around 100 miles of what he described to be fairly easy going, town riding, some more exuberant driving on their way back etc and if you're gentle.

- in the city, he estimates that you could get around a 160 miles out of it

- spirited driving, "heavy right hand", he estimates 70 to 75 miles of range.

I don't quite get where he was supposedly doing an average speed of 100 miles/hour.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Andres125sx

izzy wrote:
Ok now we agree :D

Big Tea wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:07
izzy wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

This is me. I do not like going fast, but I like going quickly. I argue with my bike that I don't like going over 80 and it says it does not like going under 80 :twisted:

Edit

ooops this was reply to Andres125s post sorry

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Same here, I now own a Honda Transalp wich I hate on highways because of the very limited top speed, but OTOH it´s a good way to stop myself as I get too exited too easily :oops: With this bike I´ve switched highway perfomance for dual purpose capabilities wich I really enjoy. Another bonus are speed bumps, there are more and more all around and I hate them, but with a dual purpose bike they´re even fun, you can jump at some of them :mrgreen:

But tbh, I miss at least 20 more hp. The new Transalp 700 or a GS800 are on my radar now

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 18:51
Andres125sx wrote:
I happened to watch the video you posted and he doesn't say anything near about 125miles. He said the following:

- in their road trip, they did 70 miles required 77% of the available range, thus he estimates around 100 miles of what he described to be fairly easy going, town riding, some more exuberant driving on their way back etc and if you're gentle.

- in the city, he estimates that you could get around a 160 miles out of it

- spirited driving, "heavy right hand", he estimates 70 to 75 miles of range.

I don't quite get where he was supposedly doing an average speed of 100 miles/hour.
Sorry I confused the first review I read with the video I posted. The 200km route with 20% battery left came from here (sorry it´s spanish)
https://motos.coches.net/noticias/zero-srs-presentacion

About the average of 100mph, it was not from any review, it was Izzy claim about doing a 70 miles route in 40 minutes, wich he´s now clarified he exaggerated a bit

strad

Andres; I can do 70MPH all day long.
Take 70 off the table ..55MPH on the freeway will get me run over and I could still only go 100 miles.
Highway, 55 mph (89 km/h) 99 miles
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 20:58
Andres; I can do 70MPH all day long.
Take 70 off the table ..55MPH on the freeway will get me run over and I could still only go 100 miles.
Highway, 55 mph (89 km/h) 99 miles
Yeah I know, and agree, but contrary to ICE electric motors are less eficient in highways, so that´s the minimum range you can get from it.

Anyway, not sure about others opinions, but to me a bike is not a vehicle to move from A to B at constant speed on a freeway, but a vehicle to get some fun, and freeways are anything but fun, at least since going at high speed (>140kmh/90mph) means your driving license is at serious risk :P

Twisty roads are a lot more fun, and at those you will get much mugh higher range, even if you go fast

Edit: There´s also the option to add a power tank wich increases range a bit more than a 20% so if it can do 140miles/230km on twisty roads at fun pace, to me that´s more than acceptable. More will be better obviously, but as I´ve said repeatedly I´m not stating it´s more than enough, only that it´s more than I thought it was possible with current batteries

strad

To get out to the twistys here you first must get out of the urban area on the freeway...Much to my chagrin.
Does it pull and electric vehicles range down it you're going up a fairly steep grade? Like going up into the mountains.
Best twisty close around here is up to the local mountain. Pretty steep!
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Big Tea

strad wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 04:51
To get out to the twistys here you first must get out of the urban area on the freeway...Much to my chagrin.
Does it pull and electric vehicles range down it you're going up a fairly steep grade? Like going up into the mountains.
Best twisty close around here is up to the local mountain. Pretty steep!
Yes, more so as it is not dependant on rev range. The 'pull' is constant from hardly moving until 'topping out'
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

RZS10

Since y'all talking electric bikes ... i think they should straight up ban ICE scooters incl and below 50ccm and make them electric only ... those things are annoyingly loud and stink

We discussed the ID3 some time ago in this thread... looks like the software is a complete disaster they're struggling to fix, there's entire fields full of those cars that can't be delivered because of that

[Süddeutsche german]

[translated]

[https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-vw-daim ... -problems/]

edit: Gotta add that the english article on that tesla fansite makes it sound like they're unable to build the car itself which appears to be nonsense ...

Here's the cars waiting for the software ... lol

Last edited by RZS10 on 28 Mar 2020, 02:49, edited 1 time in total.

kimetic

RZS10 wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 00:23
We discussed the ID3 some time ago in this thread... looks like the software is a complete disaster they're struggling to fix, there's entire fields full of those cars that can't be delivered because of that

[Süddeutsche german]

[translated]

Sounds serious. I wonder why they're finding it so difficult, when the Koreans, Renault, Nissan, Jaguar and even MG are just getting on with it.

henry

kimetic wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 00:38
RZS10 wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 00:23

[Süddeutsche german]

[translated]

Sounds serious. I wonder why they're finding it so difficult, when the Koreans, Renault, Nissan, Jaguar and even MG are just getting on with it.
I think it’s because they are trying to follow Tesla’s model with a centralised system rather distributed. One body of code to operate everything. It’s one of the things that sets Tesla apart and it's not proving easy to replicate.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus