[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
machin

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Joe7218 wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 09:50
Just signed up as Team Logozzo :)
Never done this before (although I followed along last year) is there anything I should know?
Welcome aboard! OK... where to start?!

Have you downloaded the 3D parts? https://mantiumchallenge.com/mvrc-files/

You can also download one of my cars from last year to take a look at it...

CCE Round 3 Model UPDATE: If you want to use my car as a starting point you should download the later version, see later post.

When I get a spare moment I'll upload the last version from last year....
Last edited by machin on 28 Mar 2020, 23:08, edited 1 time in total.
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

Hi everyone, I have not yet decided whether to participate, but, considering the outcome of the last editions and the fact that the two best machines had been almost completely revealed, thinking about a change of regulation, I think it is a good idea to fully share the car winner of the MVRC 2019 challenge.

3D Models: https://www.caedevice.net/cfd/mvrc-2019 ... velopment/

NathanOlder

Just wondering, what sort of equipment is needed to do this? Hardware, software ect?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

machin

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 19:36
Just wondering, what sort of equipment is needed to do this? Hardware, software ect?
The car I posted above was made with FreeCAD (free download, as the name suggests!) on a 10 year old netbook... I never did any CFD myself, but that (MantiumFlow) is also free from the challenge website. The biggest “cost” is probably your own time; I think it is quite easy to get addicted to refining your design!!!

Hopefully someone who did CFD themselves will answer that bit, but honestly in terms of just making a design then I would say most computers can probably run FreeCAD ok...

LVDH

wb92 wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 19:00
EDiT:
Small request for MantiumFlow post-processing - will it be possible to turn off 3D car surfaces on X-, Y-, Z- sections leaving 2D section only as output? also if possible to do switches for isometric outputs like streamlines and isosurfaces? I don't use them so much, but they take quite a lot of time to post-process.
Would be possible but I cannot put this very high on my todo list. After creating the case, you go head over to system/sampleDict and delete the stuff in the curly brackets about wall and near wall. That would speed things up a bit.

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Mar 2020, 19:36
We keep the simulation settings rather coarse. A real F1 engineer would probably not think too much of what we are doing. This is an intended trade-off though to keep the competition accessible for everyone. One of the top guys here is running his simulations on a laptop. It seems like you are into sim-racing, so you should be kind of fine. A simulation will take quite a few hours though. This is time you will probably not be able to use your computer for racing.

NathanOlder

Thanks for the replies guys, and that's very interesting, I may have to have a little look in to this, it sounds very interesting and exciting.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

variante

LVDH wrote:
25 Mar 2020, 21:40
I have had the chance to speak to a well known F1 aero engineer about MVRC and did some deep investigations into your cars after that and now know there is still a lot of performance you guys can extract out of your cars.
Cool!
Any tip to improve? You can't just tease us like that! :D

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 14:52
LVDH wrote:
I have had the chance to speak to a well known F1 aero engineer about MVRC and did some deep investigations into your cars after that and now know there is still a lot of performance you guys can extract out of your cars.
Cool!
I would like, once at least, to see a F1 engineer among the participants. It is not easy to understand our problems such as vertices limited propagation, strange rake rotation axis, not orientable suspension arms section, 10mm thickness... I am not sure about the result.

Joe7218

So when it comes time to submit, I can just submit each of the separate parts in folders as the website specifies? Do I need to submit a final model with everything assembled together?

Also, how would I go about putting the mandatory parts in the "supplied position" (I'm using inventor or should I use a different Cad software). Another question, when I open the mandatory parts in inventor, they are absurdly small, for example the width of the engine is about 20mm. I'm guessing something is wrong since one of the rules states we cant make parts smaller than 10mm?

LVDH

variante wrote:
LVDH wrote:
Cool!
Looks like I can.
It did quite thorough investigations. I was surprised to see that increasing the mesh resolution a lot did not at all change the results. This is not as good as it might sound though. I think that because of the low resolution there are not many parts on your cars that could profit from a mesh refinement.
Something else that was cool, is I took the best body, front and rear wings from all teams over the races to build the ultimate car. It was surprisingly bad. This showed me how much you guys seem to have optimized the parts to work as a team.

Joe7218 wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 04:44
So when it comes time to submit, I can just submit each of the separate parts in folders as the website specifies? Do I need to submit a final model with everything assembled together?
Yupp, just the folders with all the separate parts and without the mandatory parts such as wheels and so on.

Joe7218 wrote:
Also, how would I go about putting the mandatory parts in the "supplied position" (I'm using inventor or should I use a different Cad software). Another question, when I open the mandatory parts in inventor, they are absurdly small, for example the width of the engine is about 20mm. I'm guessing something is wrong since one of the rules states we cant make parts smaller than 10mm?
The engine is indeed a bit larger, you will have to figure out how to import the parts correctly into your CAD system. Usually the people here are quite helpful, you are not the first with this problem.

We already have a good number of teams registered, there is now even one from Germany.

Alonso Fan

hello, just signed up for the new season! Looking forward as i think i'll have more time to develop my car this year
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

variante

Joe7218 wrote:
I can't remember how Inventor works, but try checking the unit of measurment used to import the model (amongst import options): you might have switched meters and millimeters. And for the correct position, in some CAD programs you have to tick an option before importing.

LVDH wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 09:27
It did quite thorough investigations. I was surprised to see that increasing the mesh resolution a lot did not at all change the results. This is not as good as it might sound though. I think that because of the low resolution there are not many parts on your cars that could profit from a mesh refinement.
Something else that was cool, is I took the best body, front and rear wings from all teams over the races to build the ultimate car. It was surprisingly bad. This showed me how much you guys seem to have optimized the parts to work as a team.
Yeah, a tip for the new guys: get an idea of how airfoils/wings work alone, but rapidly proceed experimenting with the whole car. It's not so useful to spend many hours on a wing without undertsanding how it interacts with the rest of the bodywork and with the other wings.
Similarly, don't just copy stuff from other competitors without testing them and understanding how they work, because most likely they won't suit your car.

See, Andre, i'm generous with tips.

machin

OK, so I've uploaded the final version of my car from last year... it's more of a "blank slate" than Matteo's (CAE Device) car... but the cooling has lots of spare capacity, so it is quite a "safe" starting point.

This also serves as a good example of how you should set-up your submission folder.

All the parts are there including the flow measurement surfaces and heat exchangers.

Download CCE 2019 Round 5 here

LVDH

variante wrote:
28 Mar 2020, 15:47
See, Andre, i'm generous with tips.
Good work, that is what this championship is about.

yinlad

CAEdevice wrote:
27 Mar 2020, 15:10
variante wrote:
LVDH wrote:
Cool!
I would like, once at least, to see a F1 engineer among the participants. It is not easy to understand our problems such as vertices limited propagation, strange rake rotation axis, not orientable suspension arms section, 10mm thickness... I am not sure about the result.
I mean, I am an F1 engineer, just not an Aero engineer :lol:
MVRC - Panthera