GM Detroit Axes Iconic Aussie Brand Holden.

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
subcritical71

Re: GM Detroit Axes Iconic Aussie Brand Holden.

Dammit! I really like my re-badged (to Pontiac) 2006 Holden Monaro. GM are slowly killing off all the brands I would buy. :(

strad

Because: "Oldsmobile was the oldest surviving American automobile marque, and one of the oldest in the world, after Peugeot, MAN, and Tatra."
No Oldsmobile and there would not have been a GM or Chevy.
I had one of the last full size Auroras with the NorthStar derived V-8 and it would cruise in absolute comfort and stability at 120mph all day long. With it aluminum suspension and equal length half shafts providing zero torque steer it handled like a dream. But in their ultimate stupid wisdom GM downsized it. GM has a long history of killing off models just when the got them right.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

NL_Fer

Will the remaining RHD market for Vauxhall be large enough?

I guess the Astra and Insignia were no match for Corolla, Avensys, Camry or Accord.

djos

NL_Fer wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:55

I guess the Astra and Insignia were no match for Corolla, Avensys, Camry or Accord.
Or even Hyundai and Kia, they are both killing it in Australia in the last few years. In the small car segment, the i30 and Cerrato respectively are top 5 sellers now, and not because they are priced well. They are genuinely excellent cars now.
"In downforce we trust"

coaster

What killed Holden was too much of everything in a tiny marketplace, at around 2005 variants of the one model (commodore) which included a coupe, sedan, wagon, twin cab utility, trayback utility and and a coachwork utility based on the wagon. The twin cab ute, coupe and wagon were also optioned with all wheel drive. The Australia government payed incentives for GM to retool and re-invest which was poured into this engineering fiasco, soon enough (1 decade) the political will had soured from this bottomless pit of helping out and pulled the pin on funding. End game for Holden.

Jolle

NL_Fer wrote:
21 Feb 2020, 19:55

Vauxhall is already no GM anymore but part of PSA. I think the only cars they sell outside of the US are the corvette and the former Deawoo models.