So what will F1 teams do this year?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: So what will F1 teams do this year?

Big Tea wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 13:03

The MD of a company in Oxford who currently make ventilators says it is not practical to expect other s to be able to produce them.
Quite right too. You need the tooling to make the cases, the items that go inside, calibration and testing etc. All possible, of course, but there is a time issue that might mean that any output is too late.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

what i would like teams to be doing is setting up a basic race team tested and then in quarantine, all the teams, so that they can be ready and say to any track or country "this team is clean, guaranteed". Same with a TV crew and race control. So if someone like Korea says their track is available, or Silverstone, Canada (island), who knows, F1 can at least have a closed doors race

NL_Fer

izzy wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:17
what i would like teams to be doing is setting up a basic race team tested and then in quarantine, all the teams, so that they can be ready and say to any track or country "this team is clean, guaranteed". Same with a TV crew and race control. So if someone like Korea says their track is available, or Silverstone, Canada (island), who knows, F1 can at least have a closed doors race
You could even leave the tv crew and interview by video.

ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:05
Big Tea wrote:

The MD of a company in Oxford who currently make ventilators says it is not practical to expect other s to be able to produce them.
Quite right too. You need the tooling to make the cases, the items that go inside, calibration and testing etc. All possible, of course, but there is a time issue that might mean that any output is too late.
Different companies can make different components or assemble the components. It makes no sense to have all those Cnc machines sitting idle.

Big Tea

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 17:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:05
Big Tea wrote:

Different companies can make different components or assemble the components. It makes no sense to have all those Cnc machines sitting idle.
I did read Dyson has been approached for the plastic mouldings, but I dont know if they do their own or sub them from China. They used to do everything in house when I used to go there but that was a long time ago.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

strad

Good idea Izzy. Image
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

izzy

NL_Fer wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 17:01
izzy wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 15:17
You could even leave the tv crew and interview by video.
yes, or just Ted :) and the FoM camera crew, i suppose i was thinking

izzy

strad wrote:
22 Mar 2020, 19:42
Good idea Izzy. http://www.stradsplace.com/photos/beer2.gif
thank you @strad :kiss:

izzy

The Baku race organisers estimated that a no-crowd race would still involve 6000-7000 people!
https://racer.com/2020/04/01/the-lockdo ... d-f1-race/

seems a lot to me! i suppose the numbers add up, but it sounds like that's a full set of media and 'stakeholders' and 60 personnel per team. Still, it shows it's not as straightforward an idea as i'd innocently been thinking. But bare teams, marshalls, one lot of TV crew.... how few could it be?

It's that or meltdown after all. No TV money, sponsors not paying etc etc but all the time teams having to keep running and Liberty with their enormous loan. And now Edinburgh is cancelled and that's August

and the great thing about a racetrack is it's fenced. Once you've got your isolated community in there, tested and clean, you're away. you'd have to keep testing of course, and there'd be some risk, but it's not zero risk at home

Jolle

izzy wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:31
The Baku race organisers estimated that a no-crowd race would still involve 6000-7000 people!

seems a lot to me! i suppose the numbers add up, but it sounds like that's a full set of media and 'stakeholders' and 60 personnel per team. Still, it shows it's not as straightforward an idea as i'd innocently been thinking. But bare teams, marshalls, one lot of TV crew.... how few could it be?

It's that or meltdown after all. No TV money, sponsors not paying etc etc but all the time teams having to keep running and Liberty with their enormous loan. And now Edinburgh is cancelled and that's August

and the great thing about a racetrack is it's fenced. Once you've got your isolated community in there, tested and clean, you're away. you'd have to keep testing of course, and there'd be some risk, but it's not zero risk at home
I work (well, worked at the moment) in the entertainment industry (live music). Lots of festivals later in the year or even beginning of 2021 are being cancelled because no one wants or can sign a contract. Lots of heavy investment for gigs, tours and festival for August, September and Oktober are signed or start spending around march. For the events in May, June and July those are already signed and partly spend.

The real blow is still to come. Investing in big scale events with a high degree of certainty of being sold out, and therefore a good return of investment, are now risk investments.

Just_a_fan

izzy wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:31

Even just the teams, "necessary" officials such as medical staff etc., and the marshalls (4 per post?) all adds up. There's a lot of others through the total supply chain - the movement of the teams, their kit etc., means airline staff, airport staff, immigration officials, medics to screen people at the airport, ground transport staff, hotels, food suppliers. The numbers add up if you look at it end-to-end.

And how many of them will need to be tested as free from the virus beforehand? It wouldn't be great to have infected people manning marshal posts, for example. They'd be giving it to the others in the post, and to the others at marshal briefings etc.
Last edited by Just_a_fan on 02 Apr 2020, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Jolle wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:49
I work (well, worked at the moment) in the entertainment industry (live music). Lots of festivals later in the year or even beginning of 2021 are being cancelled because no one wants or can sign a contract. Lots of heavy investment for gigs, tours and festival for August, September and Oktober are signed or start spending around march. For the events in May, June and July those are already signed and partly spend.

The real blow is still to come. Investing in big scale events with a high degree of certainty of being sold out, and therefore a good return of investment, are now risk investments.
nightmare! i feel for you, and no end in sight at this point. And so many people in this kind of situation, that jobs have just stopped. It's this kind of thing that means Lockdown can't carry on for too long or the cure will be worse than the disease

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 12:03
Even just the teams, "necessary" officials such as medical staff etc., and the marshalls (4 per post?) all adds up. There's a lot of others through the total supply chain - the movement of the teams, their kit etc., means airline staff, airport staff, immigration officials, medics to screen people at the airport, ground transport staff, hotels, food suppliers. The numbers add up if you look at it end-to-end.
yes once you start thinking about the detail it just keeps growing! 15 marshalls posts x 4 as you say, medical team, catering, race control, TV... I think they can avoid flying at least, by just doing it all at Silverstone and have drivers swap teams for the interest

But not racing is full of problems as well, because as with @Jolle and so many others you can't just switch off jobs for very long, i mean is 'not racing' even an option? when you get into that detail instead

And the TV audience would be enormous, with everybody stuck at home

izzy

Racefans is discussing this: https://www.racefans.net/2020/04/01/wil ... n-started/
To recap, the total (cross-checked) total headcount complement required stage a ‘ghost grand prix’ on a maximum safety/minimum headcount basis is 400 trackside officials, 800 team personnel plus 200 ‘other’ heads. That adds up to 1,400 in total,

Jolle

izzy wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 13:02
Jolle wrote:
02 Apr 2020, 11:49

nightmare! i feel for you, and no end in sight at this point. And so many people in this kind of situation, that jobs have just stopped. It's this kind of thing that means Lockdown can't carry on for too long or the cure will be worse than the disease
I don't agree with you. Yes it's terrible that my profession is changing, there will be I suspect, less events in the future and so be it. Our society is too fragile to so it seems. My job (or anyone in the entertainment industry) isn't more important then doctors that can't do their job because there are just too many ill people. This time it's not about the economy but about a healthcare system that can't cope with this amount of very sick people at once.

not a single one of my colleagues, companies or any stakeholders I know is calling for a reopening. Just the rich with acces to private hospitals.