Driver styles/preferences

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
izzy

Re: Driver styles/preferences

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 04:40
Nonsense, Hamilton was clearly faster/better in 2011, but a combination of poor strategy, poor pit stops, getting hit by Button in canada, gearbox in brazil, and a couple small mistakes like in Spa allowed Button to score more points. Button didn't outdrive HAM, merely outscored him.
Spa wasn't Lewis' mistake even, it was Koba who turned into him. Lewis being 'too precise'!

ENGINE TUNER

izzy wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 08:14
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Nonsense, Hamilton was clearly faster/better in 2011, but a combination of poor strategy, poor pit stops, getting hit by Button in canada, gearbox in brazil, and a couple small mistakes like in Spa allowed Button to score more points. Button didn't outdrive HAM, merely outscored him.
Spa wasn't Lewis' mistake even, it was Koba who turned into him. Lewis being 'too precise'!
100% Hamilton's fault, and I'm as big a Ham fan you can find... I don't blame HAM for Brazil 2019, but I still see this as HAM'S fault, not much different than Japan 2011
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 10 Apr 2020, 09:51, edited 2 times in total.

izzy

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 09:30
100% Hamilton's fault
nonsense :) Lewis' wheel stay straight, Koba's wheels turn and the gap of his front wing to the kerb increases, before the contact. Watch the video, and stop it at the very first frame, 0.00s. 100% Koba.

He'd already been passed anyway, as he was slower, then he pointlessly used all his kers to get back alongside on the outside before doing a Sebi

ENGINE TUNER

A2D.

Wass85

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 21:56
Hamilton definitely struggled more than Button with the tyres in 2011 for the most part. Saying that I don't think the QC of Pirelli was good that year.

Complete baloney, I suggest you watch the season again.

Just_a_fan

Wass85 wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 10:14
ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
Hamilton definitely struggled more than Button with the tyres in 2011 for the most part. Saying that I don't think the QC of Pirelli was good that year.

Canada: Button squeezed Hamilton in to the pit wall, then came on the radio shouting "what's he doing?". Everyone talks about how great Button was that race, but they forget that one. Hamilton had Button as he was much better through the "wall of champions" chicane - the "great in wet conditions" Button was sliding all over the place. As he went for the overtake, Button came across, pushed Hamilton on the grass and they touched. Hamilton lost a rear tyre in the impact with the wall and Button was very lucky to get away with no meaningful damage.

S'funny how that same thing would repeat 5 years later in Spain but with Rosberg in the Button role... :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wass85

Just_a_fan wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 11:13
Wass85 wrote:
10 Apr 2020, 10:14
ENGINE TUNER wrote:

Canada: Button squeezed Hamilton in to the pit wall, then came on the radio shouting "what's he doing?". Everyone talks about how great Button was that race, but they forget that one. Hamilton had Button as he was much better through the "wall of champions" chicane - the "great in wet conditions" Button was sliding all over the place. As he went for the overtake, Button came across, pushed Hamilton on the grass and they touched. Hamilton lost a rear tyre in the impact with the wall and Button was very lucky to get away with no meaningful damage.

S'funny how that same thing would repeat 5 years later in Spain but with Rosberg in the Button role... :lol:
I was referring to his point of Hamilton being faster all season when that is not the case at all. Towards the back end of the season Button stepped it up a level and Hamilton dropped back.

Yes that season was littered with mistakes but let's not forget he also had some amazing drives. Hamilton should have got stronger as the season went on but it was the opposite.

Wass85

Some great comparison laps of Hamilton and Alonso in 2007.

I have to question whether these videos are synced properly because Hamilton was ahead coming down to Parabolica.

Wass85

Alonso must have been running way less wing, the gap he pulls down that straight is unreal.

raymondu999

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
Wass85 wrote:
Let's put this thread back to the driving aspect please
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Wass85 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 23:27
Speaking of MS being similar to LH, the video comparison of him and Herbert suggests that isn't the case. If I remember correctly Herbert was later on the brakes than Schumacher but was having a bigger lift whereas Schumacher lifted earlier but carried much more speed through the corner.
Yes. For that corner (was it bridge?) Schumacher was the Button and Herbert was the Hamilton, in terms of line and technique.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Wass85

raymondu999 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 05:33
Wass85 wrote:
09 Apr 2020, 23:27
Speaking of MS being similar to LH, the video comparison of him and Herbert suggests that isn't the case. If I remember correctly Herbert was later on the brakes than Schumacher but was having a bigger lift whereas Schumacher lifted earlier but carried much more speed through the corner.
Yes. For that corner (was it bridge?) Schumacher was the Button and Herbert was the Hamilton, in terms of line and technique.
Yep which was quite surprising to me.

Wass85

Wass85 wrote:
12 Apr 2020, 22:31
Some great comparison laps of Hamilton and Alonso in 2007.

I have to question whether these videos are synced properly because Hamilton was ahead coming down to Parabolica.
These videos are fascinating but we need to remember they wasn't running with the same fuel. Does anyone have any fuel adjusted info on these particular laps? To me Alonso looks to have the heavier car.

raymondu999

IIRC they were only ever 1lap apart on Q3 fuel weights. Could be wrong. To my memory, whoever was faster in Q2 got the extra lap of fuel in Q3?

Also dont forget differing setups. Just because they had the same car wouldnt mean same setups.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Wass85

raymondu999 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 23:03
IIRC they were only ever 1lap apart on Q3 fuel weights. Could be wrong. To my memory, whoever was faster in Q2 got the extra lap of fuel in Q3?

Also dont forget differing setups. Just because they had the same car wouldnt mean same setups.
From what I recall Alonso was usually faster in Q2? That puts end to the myth that he was not the best of qualifiers.