Melting ice sheet oppotunities.

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
PlatinumZealot

Melting ice sheet oppotunities.

Reading news about the net melting of the Green Land Ice sheets. A net loss of 600 million tonnes of ICE!!

Dont we have places on earth where people have no water to drink? Dont we have dried out land which were once fruitful? What if a giant pipeline is made to transport water to other places that might need it?? This might also help reduce overlall global warming too if we can keep the water temperature cold and use it for cooling...
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Zynerji

Re: Melting ice sheet oppotunities.

Might not need a pipeline per-se.

I thought about similar when Elon explained how his tunnel boring worked last year. And described how they are air-tight.

I figured that they could bore deep tunnels, and link them to inland wells/ponds for drinking water, and they would auto-level due to hydraulics, so no pumping power needed.

I never thought about harnessing the thermals of it tho... good call.

strad

Are we back to towing icebergs to the desert? :lol: :lol:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

strad wrote: ↑
16 Apr 2020, 23:19
Are we back to towing icebergs to the desert? :lol: :lol:
Nope, just thousand mile pipelines and tunnels.

coaster

Dennis Leary had a great song along these lines, whale skin hubcaps, baby seal hamburgers, lighting cigars with a $50 bill.
But seriously, we leave a legacy when that ice is gone, i look at the mirror and wonder what my legacy will be?

Big Tea

coaster wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 12:54
Dennis Leary had a great song along these lines, whale skin hubcaps, baby seal hamburgers, lighting cigars with a $50 bill.
But seriously, we leave a legacy when that ice is gone, i look at the mirror and wonder what my legacy will be?
Around 5000 BC the Sahara was green and had the river Tamanrassett, which could rival the Nile.
Do you feel guilty about that?

What we can do, we should do, but I believe most of it is way out of our hands.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nzjrs

Big Tea wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 15:51
Around 5000 BC the Sahara was green and had the river Tamanrassett, which could rival the Nile.

Without wanting another climate change thread here to bring out the usual types, the current desertification of the Sahara was in part due to Human activity in conjunction with / magnifying weather and climatic effects. Human contribution here was certainly not negligible.

Of course the sins of the father and all that, but the analogy to today is that humans might have intervened back then if they had the economic motivation to do so and the technology available.

Big Tea

nzjrs wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 16:05
Big Tea wrote: ↑
29 May 2020, 15:51

Without wanting another climate change thread here to bring out the usual types, the current desertification of the Sahara was in part due to Human activity in conjunction with / magnifying weather and climatic effects. Human contribution here was certainly not negligible.

Of course the sins of the father and all that, but the analogy to today is that humans might have intervened back then if they had the economic motivation to do so and the technology available.
As you say, we do not want to drag this into another thread of that sort but there is much to suggest that human intervention actually delayed the onset of desertification by several hundered years rather than hastened it.
I will respect the mods though and post nothing specific on it, as there is much available on respected youtube sites, and so much more on sites by people who have no background, no qualifications and no clue.

Just for clarification though that does not suggest anyone on this site.

PlatinumZealot

I'm going to have to listen such an intriguing song. Baby seal hamburgers do sound tasty...

PlatinumZealot

Which part of the ice sheets does melting originate, might the water be captured? Or does on simply pump water from the artic or antartic seas near the ice?

Big Tea

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
03 Jun 2020, 02:08
Which part of the ice sheets does melting originate, might the water be captured? Or does on simply pump water from the artic or antartic seas near the ice?
This may interest you

https://phys.org/news/2018-06-bedrock-w ... rapid.html

They do not reiterate that anything moving will calve ice from the periphery.

strad

There has always been changes. Most long before there were cars. We need to live with any changes that happen.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss