What vintage races do you recommend?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Just_a_fan

Re: What vintage races do you recommend?

Pingguest wrote:
20 Apr 2020, 23:11
Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Apr 2020, 16:33
Spain 1996 is on youtube as the whole race.

https://youtu.be/csI2dzm-lqY

It's often stated that this showed Schumacher's mastery of the rain. Some say that Ferrari set up Schumacher on a full wet set up where the others such as Williams went for a normal dry set up assuming the conditions would improve. I don't know whether that's true.
Even if Schumacher had a 'full wet-weather' set-up and Williams a dry-weather set-up, it doesn't explain Schumacher being four to five seconds per lap quicker than the opposition.
It could explain it depending on exactly what the differences between the set ups were, and exactly how the track conditions interacted with those differences. For example, if the dry set up was prone aquaplaning of the plank in very wet conditions, lifting the plank sufficiently would mean no aquaplaning and so more grip, more confidence, lower lap timed.

However, as we don't know the exact differences in the set ups, we can't say either way.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

F1NAC

Just watching now 1994 japanese GP on F1 channel. Shocking how slow the cars are under the safety car

FrukostScones

not really vintage, but those were fun races imo.:

1998 Japan. (probably my favorite emotion wise, despite Ferrari losing).
1998 Belgium :mrgreen:
2000 Germany
2003 Canada
2004 France
2007 Brasil
2008 Brasil
2012 Brasil (2012 has a lot of good/crazy races)
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Andres125sx

Great, thank you all for the recommendations

I´m watching the oldest races I´ve found. There´s a site with ´78 season, but quality is so low it´s not worth watching. Then I jumped to some ´80 races but they´re similar. Now I´m going to watch two ´82 GPs, but I think they will be similar too. But I want to go chronologically, so I´ll watch your recommendations when I reach those seasons :)

When I say quality is low, it´s not only video quality, broadcasting is also amateur level compared to today. For example I´ve not watched a start properly yet, cameras are always pointing in some absurd direction when the light go out (or green in this era) #-o

ian_s

Brazil 2008 will always stick in my mind when Hamilton won the championship. Being British I wanted hamilton to win, and the last few seconds once Massa crossed the line where almost heartbreaking, then Glock left the track and that changed everything!
plus its on YouTube

hollus

Andres, I am curious to pick up your thoughts after you have seen Kyalami 1983. I just watched it after recefans ran an article on the race before that one, ending in a cliffhanger leaving a title decider at Kyalami. I have only found it in German (ORF) though. Spoiler: according to the thread's title, this would be an off-topic post.
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

Detroit 82 was quite boring apart from a great recovery from Watson, but yesterday I watched Dutch GP at Zandvoort 82 wich I really enjoied. Quality is quite acceptable for that year and I liked camera positioning, wich shows the track with its fast corners nicely. There´s also some battles between all legendary drivers from the era, Prost, Piquet, Lauda, Rosberg, Pironi, Arnoux... It´s also an interesting battle between different engines, 1.5T both v6 and v?8, and 3.0 atmospheric, and teams (Renault Turbo, Ferrari Turbo, Brahbam BMW Turbo, McLaren Honda 3.0...)

The race itself is nice too, with some action, position changes and uncertainity. If someone want to watch a race from that era I reacommend this one :-D

falonso81

Not so vintage but i like:
Hockenheim 2000
Argentina 1997 and 1998
Hungary 1998
Spa 1998
Nurburgring 1995

Roman

^Those races are all more than 20 years old. I would call that vintage. (Yes, we are old...)

3jawchuck

1158 wrote:
14 Apr 2020, 17:50
The 1999 European GP at the 'Ring was an exciting one.

Bit of a heartbreaker.

Just_a_fan

Without wishing to put a downer on the thread, or start a new one especially for this point, today is the 26th anniversary of Roland Ratzenberger's death in qualifying at Imola. Tomorrow, of course, is the anniversary of Senna's death at the same event.

A vintage race, but not one any of us would recommend I'm sure. :cry:

3jawchuck

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Apr 2020, 15:23
Without wishing to put a downer on the thread, or start a new one especially for this point, today is the 26th anniversary of Roland Ratzenberger's death in qualifying at Imola. Tomorrow, of course, is the anniversary of Senna's death at the same event.
A vintage race, but not one any of us would recommend I'm sure. :cry:
I remember Des Lynam (I think) announcing Ratzenberger's death. It was the first time I'd experienced something like that, the death of someone I admired who was not a family member. Then the next day happened and I don't want to relive that, so no, no recommendation.

coaster

Actually come to think of it there was a race in the mid 90's where Zanardi, Laguna Seca, overtook at the end of the corkscrew, took holeshot at the corner and got airborne? on the apex (no, different race) for a championship decider, it was unforgettable. (sort of, i forgot)

I would love to remember the airborne overtake.

Just_a_fan

I just rewatched the 2008 British GP (only because it came up as a "recommended" on youtube.) That was one of the great wet weather drives. Better, I think, than Senna's Donington race. Why? No TC or ABS, both of which Senna had. To drive away from others on the same intermediate tyre at 5-6 seconds a lap was absolutely sensational and showed what a great wet weather driver Hamilton was (and still is).

But the race had some other highlights - great drive by Alonso, especially towards the end when he held Heikki back lap after lap. Heidfeld was quick and deserved second. Shame for Rubens - but for a fuel rig issue he'd have likely had 2nd place. Ferrari shot Kimi in the foot, Massa looked entirely unhappy with his car all race long.

A classic race, if not quite yet a vintage one.

Andres125sx

Yesterday I watched next gp to Zanvoort 82 wich I watched past week and really enjoied, British GP at BrandHatch. Not bad, but far from the previous.

But there was something wich made me think. Walker and Hunt talked about a strategy Nelson Piquet tried, soft tires and low fuel to stop mid-race to change tires and top up the fuel tank. They said if it would work it would be a game changer in motorsport, so I assume none had refueled before, is that right?

He was building a great gap with 20seconds before lap 20, but then the 1.5 turbo BMW into his Brabham decided that was not the day

Was that really first attempt ever for refuelling?