Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Schuttelberg

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

jumpingfish wrote:
14 May 2020, 13:33
JordanMugen wrote:
14 May 2020, 11:52
jumpingfish wrote:
14 May 2020, 11:33
Well then no Seb in Mclaren as someone in German media said before.
Seb could go to Renault however. :)

https://d3lp4xedbqa8a5.cloudfront.net/s ... ault-1.jpg

It would be the best choice for Renault if they can't get Alonso.
If he wants to Renault :D "dreamed about it from childhood" or something like that in interview later :D
He dreamt about the red stuff, as did Fernando and we all know how it worked out for them. Heck, 6 world titles between them and all with Renault engines and not one with the mighty reds.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Schuttelberg

The day Sebastian announced he was leaving Ferrari, I knew he was going to retire. But, these two recent moves have left me completely flabbergasted. Sainz was beaten a year ago in a Renault by Hulkenberg who is now out of the sport and Sainz has moved to a top team. Ricciardo who was all 'Oh it's Renault or nothing' has been highly impatient in my book. If you are going to give a team a year to deliver, I don't understand his earlier move in the first place.

Personally, I felt Ricciardo to Ferrari made the most sense. I'm happy for Sainz but I really felt he had something good going at McLaren. Also, it would be best if these changes happen right away. Can't see how the teams will be able to invest themselves in these departing drivers anymore.

I guess, now I can watch F1 completely unbiased!

Goodbye Seb & thank you!
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

DChemTech

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2020, 14:30
The day Sebastian announced he was leaving Ferrari, I knew he was going to retire. But, these two recent moves have left me completely flabbergasted. Sainz was beaten a year ago in a Renault by Hulkenberg who is now out of the sport and Sainz has moved to a top team. Ricciardo who was all 'Oh it's Renault or nothing' has been highly impatient in my book. If you are going to give a team a year to deliver, I don't understand his earlier move in the first place.

Personally, I felt Ricciardo to Ferrari made the most sense. I'm happy for Sainz but I really felt he had something good going at McLaren. Also, it would be best if these changes happen right away. Can't see how the teams will be able to invest themselves in these departing drivers anymore.

Goodbye Seb & thank you!
To be fair, Hulkenberg didn't deserve to be out of the sport - if any former driver is coming back, I hope it's him. But I could well imagine he would not want to be back at the sinking ship that is Renault.

Scorpaguy

Schuttelberg wrote:

Goodbye Seb & thank you!
...even with no racing the Ferrari Team can still make its famous strategy calls #-o

Schuttelberg

I am really disappointed in Daniel! I really believed in his Renault move. He seems just desperate now. Would have understood the Ferrari switch but this makes no sense to me.

Also, with Daniel committing to McLaren, it's quite clear what's happening at Mercedes. Status-quo.

outsid3r

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:02
I am really disappointed in Daniel! I really believed in his Renault move. He seems just desperate now. Would have understood the Ferrari switch but this makes no sense to me.

Also, with Daniel committing to McLaren, it's quite clear what's happening at Mercedes. Status-quo.
I think the move for Daniel was a no-brainer really. If Ferrari was out of the question, a McLaren with a Merc engine is the next best (available) thing. McLaren seem to be on the raise, they recently got better results than Renault with the same engine. So if the chassis is somewhat sorted and now they are going for (arguably) the best engine on the grid, I really think they will be up there from next year.

Sevach

Schuttelberg wrote:

Goodbye Seb & thank you!
I'm so surprised that outscoring rookie Norris qualifies Sainz for Ferrari, for me he is spanish David Coulthard.

Macklaren

Sevach wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:24

I'm so surprised that outscoring rookie Norris qualifies Sainz for Ferrari, for me he is spanish David Coulthard.
That is exactly what Ferrari wants!

subcritical71

Renault trolling us?!? A lot of people will be eating humble pie if this comes true.

adrianjordan

outsid3r wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:23
Schuttelberg wrote:

I think the move for Daniel was a no-brainer really. If Ferrari was out of the question, a McLaren with a Merc engine is the next best (available) thing. McLaren seem to be on the raise, they recently got better results than Renault with the same engine. So if the chassis is somewhat sorted and now they are going for (arguably) the best engine on the grid, I really think they will be up there from next year.
He's also put himself within the Mercedes family as it were.

I always think it's easier to go from a Merc powered team to the factory team, than from elsewhere.

Imagine Hamilton retires as 9 x WDC at the end of 2022 (having proven he can win across the rule change), who could Merc take to replace him? Well if Daniel impresses against Norris next year then it could be him.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

UlleGulle

So where does this all leave Renault? I have a hard time seeing any good options for them in this, especially since that team seems to have all of the internal politics of Ferrari with just a fraction of the budget .

VET: Yeah, Renault would be happy to sign him. But is he really up for a mid-team struggle? Would he be able to keep his motivation up?
BOT: I think Ferrari would have preferred him over Sainz, which is why I think his strategy is to wait out Lewis, and hope he is faster than whoever replaces HAM.
ALB: He's in a better car and team at the moment. Sure, a bad start of the season and Marko has him replaced with Kvyat, but no racing driver expects themselves to fail.
GAS: Makes some political sense for Renault. They can drape that car in the Tricolore and fully play the french card. And Gasly should be aware that he's never going to get into the RB car again.
Is it a good fit? Well, Gasly didnt work in RB, but he has the ability to extract some amazing results once a season.
GRO: Se above regarding the politics. And when he's comfortable in the car he's one of the fastest out there. Pity he's so often not.
KVY: Might actually be a their best option. Very fast driver, and seems to have matured during his struggles.
MAG: Think he's more trouble than he's worth. But experienced, and GS seems to hold him in high regard.
RUS: Can't se him leaving the mercedes path he is on.

Schuttelberg

outsid3r wrote:
14 May 2020, 15:23
Schuttelberg wrote:

I was rooting for the Ferrari switch. This is a sidestep. I can see how you feel McLaren are on the rise but Daniel spent one season at Renault. One season. It really looks to me like he regrets his RBR switch and he's essentially unhappy. It's a clear lack of commitment. He didn't exactly set the world alight at Renault. People yap about Vettel making errors, I can remember at least 3 incidents of Ricciardo's in 2019 while he was in a much much lesser pressure environment. I don't think he himself did a decent enough job and it's a bit rich to expect big teams to hire you with so much short sightedness at his end!

Schuttelberg

I just realised something,

Alonso went from Minardi to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari to McLaren.
Sainz went from STR (formerly Minardi) to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari.. back to McLaren one day?

FrukostScones

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:13

Sainz went from STR (formerly Minardi) to Renault to McLaren to Ferrari.. back to McLaren one day?
ALO went from McLaren to Renault and not to Ferrari.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Jolle

Schuttelberg wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:13

It was mentioned before indeed :P by the way, You missed one Renault with Alonso :P he went from Minardi to Renault to Mclaren to Renault to Ferrari to McLaren...

By the way, Max verstappen is doing Jos Verstappen's career in reverse upto now, going from Minardi (STR) to Stewart (RBR), so he will end his career at Renault some day.