COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
LM10

Re: COVID-19 could affect more races this year.

FrukostScones wrote:
11 May 2020, 13:23
Juzh wrote:
11 May 2020, 13:10
FrukostScones wrote:
10 May 2020, 02:43
Austria GP is a friggin mirage. It is over. Game Over.
Genius argumentation. Why didn't anyone else think of this before?
I see no argumentation. So it can't be genius. :mrgreen:

If UK quarantine rules come into effect you can forget it.
https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14936 ... quarantine

and even if it works, whole operation could be a game of Vabanque.

And of course I want the season to start, but not at any costs.
No fans allowed will not be the only difference to normal races in Austria. Of course there are gonna be several other rules to be followed. Regarding Spielberg for example, yesterday I heard on radio that there probably are going to be no motor homes, but instead tents built by track authorities. Other possible rules will be no journalists allowed, only Will Buxton doing the interviews, less engineers than usual, nearest city being blocked from the track, staff staying in mobile homes etc.
What I want to say is that it's absolutely possible to do a race with such measures being taken.

As for a quarantine, I don't know what UK will eventually do, but in Austria you have the possibility to either let yourself being tested at the airport or go on a 14 day quarantine. You can choose. I'm pretty sure F1 teams will already arrive with negative tests anyway.

pierrre

i had just posted a picture of that car by Notjustcampers on facebook on to my page, of course tagging that page then i scrolled the page and i saw a photo of the page founders parents who had succumbed to the disease just days if not weeks between them(edited: two weeks apart)

i really hate this virus and cant stand even to look at those letter

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

PlatinumZealot

I have having a nice time looking back on some posts at the start of this thread. Even some proclaimed professionals have gotten it so wrong. Any whoo.. I'm gonna curtail this amusement a bit for now, until this whole thing is over.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

3jawchuck

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:49
I have having a nice time looking back on some posts at the start of this thread. Even some proclaimed professionals have gotten it so wrong. Any whoo.. I'm gonna curtail this amusement a bit for now, until this whole thing is over.
I can imagine. I only thought there would be 1 or 2 race cancellations this year. I'm also pretty sure I thought it would be over by now and wouldn't spread nearly as readily as it has. That looks a bit silly now.

Folks in the know were warning about this well before it got anywhere near Europe, they saw the spread rates and how effective it was and did try to warn the relevant authorities. It took most western nations far too long to begin working on guidelines and a solution.

Oh well, this will eventually be the topic of many university and medical school papers as well as a rehearsal for the next one, whenever that happens to come up.

e30ernest

PlatinumZealot wrote:
14 May 2020, 16:49
Yeah a lot of people were downplaying it, even dismissing it. Hindsight is 20/20 eh?

I'm really hoping to see some races happen, though I am still skeptical on how they can make it work without unduly risking either the members of the F1 circus, or the countries they are flying into to race at. I know that F1 needs to race to earn money and survive, however would all those extra preparations to actually get a race going (quarantines, testing, etc) make it too expensive to profit off a race with no spectators?

Just_a_fan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/52677294

Things are looking up for some racing. Two races at Silverstone agreed between FIA and the track. Just needs the British Government to approve it. Fingers crossed but they're a bunch of buffoons (I'm British so I get to insult my own Government 8) ) so no guarantees, sadly.

Spa has been approved by their Government but there is not yet a deal in place between circuit and the FIA.

So things looking up for at least 5 races... [-o<
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

nzjrs

Nothing much scientific, but a reminder that this is the entire genome of the novel corona virus. This is what it took to stop human civilization in its tracks for a few months (so far).

Wouter

Just_a_fan wrote:
15 May 2020, 16:28

Spa has been approved by their Government but there is not yet a deal in place between circuit and the FIA.
According to circuit chairman Melchior Wathelet, there is also already an agreement with F1 to keep Spa on the calendar. "This is the best solution. It will be a weird and exceptional Grand Prix, but there will be one. We will keep our regular place on the calendar."

Without the public revenue - 165,000 tickets had already been sold - the GP organization would have to renegotiate Liberty Media about the costs they would have to pay. "All conditions have been negotiated. We have an agreement in principle and there will be no costs for the Walloon region. We have both added water to the wine. In this way it is financially feasible."
The Power of Dreams!

PlatinumZealot

nzjrs wrote:
15 May 2020, 16:30
Nothing much scientific, but a reminder that this is the entire genome of the novel corona virus. This is what it took to stop human civilization in its tracks for a few months (so far).

https://i.imgur.com/ZWPPQgy.png
Reminder that all living things are one with their environments and ur bodies are open to the environment with only a few secuirty gaurds in place. We have to let things inside out bodies to live and such bad things also come in too. Just a randomly changing arrangement of particles... Not even living.. But arranged like a code to force our bodies to replicate it, and detroying our very cells in the process.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Ringleheim

Who thinks the 2 races in Austria will actually happen in July? It's possible, but it also seems too soon to me.

Glad to hear things are going well with Silverstone and Spa.

nzjrs

Ringleheim wrote:
15 May 2020, 19:23
Who thinks the 2 races in Austria will actually happen in July? It's possible, but it also seems too soon to me.

Glad to hear things are going well with Silverstone and Spa.
So the talk in the Austrian media is very positive, however I read today that they submitted their security concept to the health/interior? ministry only on Thursday (https://www.derstandard.at/story/200011 ... t-fuer-spa).

I imagine we will hear much more conclusive information next week.

etusch

LM10

etusch wrote:
16 May 2020, 21:30
https://youtu.be/adj8MCsZKlg
So what's new in this video? Those numbers have been known for months now. Don't think the UK government needed to confirm it.