[ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
V12-POWER

Re: [ 2020 ] Renault F1 Team - Renault

Alonso might have said he wants a P1 capable car or nothing, that was until he realized other series aren’t as demanding as F1. Thus he’d rather drive in midfield than race against a bunch of “amateurs” in other series

djos

TBH I think Daniel leaving Renault for next year is the smart call. Carlos G was a driving force behind the F1 program and with him currently having serious legal issues and the global economy going to hell, I’d be surprised if Renault didn’t exit F1 .... again.
"In downforce we trust"

PinkFloydPulse

If Alonso comes to a midfield Renault, that would be a definitive end for him... Why taint your career even more, I wonder...
Team Fernando!

godlameroso

Saishū kōnā

Big Tea

I was sat here thinking that Alonso to Renault would benefit no one, then it occurred to me, it could keep the pathway open as he will then still have his experience and points/time if a seat comes up next year. Don't know how how stands with the superlicence points thing and expiring in time, but aside from that there the thought in teams mind that he would not have raced (f1) for 3 years (or what ever) so may no longer be a 'current' driver with the knowledge and skills involved. this could just be an extender for him and a big name for Renault.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Juzh

Bottas isn't going nowhere, I'm surprised many people think that he might. He's probably THE most perfect no2 driver ever. Has lots of experience, is fast enough but not too fast, doesn't complain or cause trouble even when he's clearly been relegated to a wingman role starting mid-season, walks the party line...

He will keep getting those 1 year deals at merc until Hamilton calls it quits.

PowerandtheGlory

The rule changes (project reset) give the best chance for teams like renault to vault to the front- but that isnt happening till 2022 now.. 2021 will be a short season- but if the Renault car is quick this year and next that's something. I suspect that Nando will need to visit the factory and have deep insights into how well prepared they are for 2022.. Renault do have better resources than a lot of teams so it could still be an option- but i feel that this will be his last shot.
“I don't believe in luck, luck is preparation and taking your opportunity” Ross Brawn

ALO_Power

Chuckjr wrote:
17 May 2020, 00:46
I'm pretty well convinced Fred will be in a Renault possibly this year maybe next. If he does not take the seat, he will never come back to F1. Just my 2 cents.
This year? Ain't all the movements planned for 2021?

Jolle

PowerandtheGlory wrote:
18 May 2020, 17:38
The rule changes (project reset) give the best chance for teams like renault to vault to the front- but that isnt happening till 2022 now.. 2021 will be a short season- but if the Renault car is quick this year and next that's something. I suspect that Nando will need to visit the factory and have deep insights into how well prepared they are for 2022.. Renault do have better resources than a lot of teams so it could still be an option- but i feel that this will be his last shot.
2020 will be the short season, 21 will hopefully be a full one again. All this is for 21 and beyond.

SmallSoldier

Macklaren wrote:
Makes you wonder why McLaren didn't give him the seat if his salary is being subsidized by Liberty and he still has close enough ties to drive for them at Indy.
Because Mclaren is looking at a longer time frame when it comes down to what they want to do with the team... Alonso, even when a great driver is someone that not necessarily will stay for the long term and with Lando and Daniel they have a couple of drivers that could potential stay for the long haul with the team.

In addition, a return from Alonso to Mclaren will potentially place additional pressure on the team to avoid “history to repeat itself”, that would be unwanted attention if the goals aren’t reach as fast as they want... Their current line up for 2021 and beyond seems to be better setup for a “resurgence” model

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ENGINE TUNER

Juzh wrote:
18 May 2020, 10:39
Bottas isn't going nowhere, I'm surprised many people think that he might. He's probably THE most perfect no2 driver ever. Has lots of experience, is fast enough but not too fast, doesn't complain or cause trouble even when he's clearly been relegated to a wingman role starting mid-season, walks the party line...

He will keep getting those 1 year deals at merc until Hamilton calls it quits.
BOT is plenty fast, he beats HAM in qually on a more consistent basis than ROS did. BOT in my estimation is a top 5 driver on the current grid. The only drivers that I would bet money on being better than BOT are HAM, LEC and VER(who is still far too mistake prone). Merc would be foolish to let him go to another team.

dimaestro

Ok - I'm sure this has been beaten to death here. I'm trying to catch up but you all are some talky peeps.

My question is: Do you think Renault has any chance beyond 2020/21? Considering the financial crisis that Renault is in, their poor performance, their lack of a solid driver team. Can they survive?

I can see issues smaller teams are having, but Renault is almost at a crisis level I'd think.
Last edited by dimaestro on 19 May 2020, 11:05, edited 2 times in total.

dimaestro

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 May 2020, 20:07
Macklaren wrote:
Makes you wonder why McLaren didn't give him the seat if his salary is being subsidized by Liberty and he still has close enough ties to drive for them at Indy.
Because Mclaren is looking at a longer time frame when it comes down to what they want to do with the team... Alonso, even when a great driver is someone that not necessarily will stay for the long term and with Lando and Daniel they have a couple of drivers that could potential stay for the long haul with the team.

In addition, a return from Alonso to Mclaren will potentially place additional pressure on the team to avoid “history to repeat itself”, that would be unwanted attention if the goals aren’t reach as fast as they want... Their current line up for 2021 and beyond seems to be better setup for a “resurgence” model

McLaren isn't looking for a quick fix. McLaren is what, the 2nd oldest F1 team, ever? Only the Dark Red beats em. I'm talking 863 starts. And 486 podiums.

McLaren wants to be back on top, they have the financial backing to do it, and (hopefully) the know how. I believe Zac has done a great job restructuring the team and we'll see some good things from them in the future.

They realize that the Team has to come before any driver - and they have had that in Sainz and hopefully will with Danny.

They didn't have that in Alonso sadly.
Last edited by dimaestro on 19 May 2020, 11:20, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

SmallSoldier wrote:
18 May 2020, 20:07
Macklaren wrote:

A third return to Renault is also very history returning... I think the McLaren route is closed by Mercedes.

HPD

The French government has not yet granted the € 5 billion loan that Renault has requested to overcome the coronavirus crisis

Bruno Le Maire: "Renault is playing its survival," he said in remarks to the Europe radio station.

Le Maire has said that Renault president Jean-Dominique Senard is finalizing a new roadmap for the company. One of the points that will surely be addressed is the continuity of the Formula 1 team, much questioned in the current context.

https://soymotor.com/coches/noticias/re ... ces-976621