[ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
godlameroso

Re: [ 2020 ] Aston Martin RedBull Racing F1 Team - Honda

That would depend on in season running which we haven't had yet. Some hardware changes can only be validated on track, so this has put a damper on development.

Some improvements were made after testing data in time for Melbourne. But there is no on track data yet from the updates, nor is it possible to test certain parts. Parts which would guide development of the next spec.
Saishū kōnā

Alexf1

godlameroso wrote:
18 May 2020, 20:58
That would depend on in season running which we haven't had yet. Some hardware changes can only be validated on track, so this has put a damper on development.

Some improvements were made after testing data in time for Melbourne. But there is no on track data yet from the updates, nor is it possible to test certain parts. Parts which would guide development of the next spec.
Thanks. That clarifies a lot. Hope they can get as much development done as possible before next season starts. Have a feeling that the current situation will not only lead to a car development freeze for next year but also an engine freeze to keep the current 4 engine makers stay in F1.

GhostF1

Alexf1 wrote:
18 May 2020, 21:25
godlameroso wrote:

Thanks. That clarifies a lot. Hope they can get as much development done as possible before next season starts. Have a feeling that the current situation will not only lead to a car development freeze for next year but also an engine freeze to keep the current 4 engine makers stay in F1.
If Honda become the major sponsor and the team actually become Honda Redbull Racing, I could see this keeping them in the sport for a few more years. The exposure will be increased dramatically, and if the engine freeze/development reduction occurs soon, that should aid the effort.

godlameroso

More Red Bull drinks are being sold than Hondas at the moment. Honda has even had to shut down its U.S. manufacturing. Luckily this seems to be blowing over and things are slowly going back to normal.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:

If next update is decided only after track data...but if there is a team working on next update when another is working with current version there may be updates developed at a level. Maybe there will be more to validate on track than melburne spec has...

Marti_EF3

The PU are already homologated since Australia, right? They can't run a different spec without taking out an slot for the engine list I think...

etusch

Marti_EF3 wrote:
19 May 2020, 20:32
The PU are already homologated since Australia, right? They can't run a different spec without taking out an slot for the engine list I think...
I will be happy with that if it is the case.
I think Honda engine was most prepared engine to the season. If nobody change engine they brought to melburne this is advantage for Redbull Honda especially over main rival.

lio007

Marti_EF3 wrote:
This is a very good question! Australia was cancelled before any car was running on track.
So, do the already installed PU's in Australia count as used PU for the pool?

aran.vtec

lio007 wrote:
20 May 2020, 07:16
Marti_EF3 wrote:
This is a very good question! Australia was cancelled before any car was running on track.
From what i understand the car has to leave to pit lane for it to be "counted"

_cerber1

etusch wrote:
20 May 2020, 00:33
I think Honda engine was most prepared engine to the season. If nobody change engine they brought to melburne this is advantage for Redbull Honda especially over main rival.
Both Renault engines passed the full distance of the tests, they were not even removed once.

Bill

But Renault didn't bring much in the form of additional power from what they had from last year.

_cerber1

Bill wrote:
20 May 2020, 09:58
But Renault didn't bring much in the form of additional power from what they had from last year.
In tests, no one was chasing power and speed. In general, I find quite ridiculous the comments of people who say that the RB or Honda were the best prepared. Therefore, I made the same comment about Renault engines.

etusch

_cerber1 wrote:
20 May 2020, 10:52
Bill wrote:
20 May 2020, 09:58
In tests, no one was chasing power and speed. In general, I find quite ridiculous the comments of people who say that the RB or Honda were the best prepared. Therefore, I made the same comment about Renault engines.
Renault can be like you said but my point was that I was talking about mercedes as I assume that Redbull and Mercedes will fight for title. I mean Mercedes has some reliability issues.
After that a bit about Ferrari. I expect they will show lower profile than most powerful engine profile of last year because of obvious things. So in fact I didn't consider Renault.

Big Tea

I would assume all manufacturers would have some upgrade to the engine that turned up in Aus. They worked to a deadline of getting a well tested engine out and into the car by that time.
Since the time the engines were shipped there would have been many hours of bench running and several new ways to make the same components even if not different design components between then and now. Even just the time allowed to make parts that were almost off the drawing board (screen anyway) or even on the test engine but had not run enough hours to be sure.
Am I right in thinking it will be just this engine and one more for the whole season? they must save every hour of running they can if so and a new engine would be installed anyway.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

lio007

aran.vtec wrote:
20 May 2020, 07:28
lio007 wrote:
20 May 2020, 07:16
Marti_EF3 wrote:
From what i understand the car has to leave to pit lane for it to be "counted"
If this is really the case, then Merc are very lucky guys. They had some issues in pre-season testing PU-wise. They of all teams would propably benefit the most.