Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
toraabe

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

siskue2005 wrote:
20 May 2020, 19:04
Daimler reportedly ‘pushing hard’ for Vettel
https://www.planetf1.com/news/daimler-p ... an-vettel/

There are rumors that Bottas is going to Renault and Russel to Merc team, but Daimler wants vettel in that seat
From a sporting point of view this is not the best, but from a marketing perspective it is. Remember that F1 for Mercedes is mainly a marketing tool.

Big Tea

But do Merc group Need any better publicity in Germany? Merc seems to be Germany's favourite car anyway, could having a German driver be any advantage financially?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

alexx_88

I think Hamilton would have nothing against Vettel joining Mercedes. He probably sees it as his chance to cement his reputation as the best driver of his generation in a head-to-head against a Vettel that seems miles off the one that won 4x WDC.

SiLo

If I was Mercedes I'd be telling Vettel thanks but no thanks. Russell is a better bet, they still have Hamilton and the HAM-BOT team works very well together. Better to keep everything harmonious and keep winning, than it is to risk a lot on Vettel coming in and not pissing off Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton asks for a lot of money, but it's not like he's stupid enough to go somewhere else right now.

It's just not worth the risk of having intra team battles on and off the field, potential busts ups etc.
Felipe Baby!

Jolle

It would be a first... never did two multiple world champions share a team.

TAG

Mercedes releasing this video today should squelch all of the Vettel to Merc rummors. Quite detailed. :)

माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Big Tea

SiLo wrote:
21 May 2020, 12:06
If I was Mercedes I'd be telling Vettel thanks but no thanks. Russell is a better bet, they still have Hamilton and the HAM-BOT team works very well together. Better to keep everything harmonious and keep winning, than it is to risk a lot on Vettel coming in and not pissing off Hamilton.

Maybe Hamilton asks for a lot of money, but it's not like he's stupid enough to go somewhere else right now.

It's just not worth the risk of having intra team battles on and off the field, potential busts ups etc.
As you, I think Russel will be a top driver, but what proof do we have of it? He did well against a driver we really have no good gauge for, just previous repetition before a big accident and long lay off. He may not have been as good on hos return. Testing? yes he showed good times v the other drivers, but as we know tests are run to a schedual and they were all given a delta for most if not all or the laps.

Is there any real poof that he is as good as we hope?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

Big Tea wrote:
21 May 2020, 14:36
SiLo wrote:
21 May 2020, 12:06

As you, I think Russel will be a top driver, but what proof do we have of it? He did well against a driver we really have no good gauge for, just previous repetition before a big accident and long lay off. He may not have been as good on hos return. Testing? yes he showed good times v the other drivers, but as we know tests are run to a schedual and they were all given a delta for most if not all or the laps.

Is there any real poof that he is as good as we hope?
We as general public don’t know. Mercedes on the other hand have tons of data about him. Not only from his time on other classes but also sim and testing data. Those few weekends on track in an undrivable car is not what they base his future on.
But as so often, more important is his rate of development and they way he is able to incorporate input from his engineers.
It’s not how good is he today, but how much better is he tomorrow, etc etc.

Just_a_fan

Jolle wrote:
21 May 2020, 12:44
There's probably a good reason for that, both from a team's perspective of managing the relationship, and from the drivers' perspective of wanting to be the top dog in a team. Easier if you're the guy with the ribbons on his jacket, not so easy if both have them.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Racer X

https://www.news.com.au/sport/motorspor ... 796d6c6afd

Bottas manager in talks with Renault.

Which leads some to conclude that Vettel might be at Mercedes for 2021 along with Hamilton...

(My opinion)

This would be the best thing to happen because we could see 2 of the greatest surpassing Schumi's numbers in a rivalry to determine the new Eras legends. Or we could see 2 of the greatest drivers on presumably the best car beaten by the youngest Ferrari driver lineup in history. Making the 2021 season one that begins with the birth of a new Ferrari legend and the passing of the torch to the new generation of F1 drivers...

I hope Vettel is at Merc.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

Scorpaguy

Vet to Merc...I see no upside for the power brokers (Merc Corporate). Bottas talking to Renault could also be due to the call-up of Rus. The abortion that is thus far the season of 2020 has shaved a lot of life off the old-timers as well as deprive the the up-n-comers experience. I assume all team plans are fluid based upon if/when racing resumes and the performance, if any, results.
If no racing, I can see Kimi/Vet out in 2021...Ham shepherding Rus...and Bot sucking hind tit somewhere where they think they can glean Merc data.

raymondu999

Jolle wrote:
Prost Senna? Hamilton Alonso?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

zeph

raymondu999 wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:37
Jolle wrote:
To be fair, Senna wasn't a champ when he joined Prost at McLaren. And when Prost left he was still only a one-time champion, he got second and third title when Prost was already gone.

Likewise, Hamilton was not a champ when he joined Alonso.

Jolle

raymondu999 wrote:
22 May 2020, 07:37
Jolle wrote:
Many of the multiple world champions were rookie teammates of multiple world champions (from the top of my head: Clark-Hill, Lauda-Piquet, Laura-Prost, Prost-Senna, Piquet-Schumacher, Senna-Häkkinen and Hamilton-Alonso), but never when they already won multiple titles.

SiLo

Mercedes only needs to look at Vettel in 2017-2019 to know this wouldn't be a good idea. Everyone was loving him when he wasn't expected to win the title and he had a lot less pressure on him, but as soon as the pressure was on and he had a car capable of challenging for the title, he made regular and costly mistakes. I'm not saying he's a bad driver, I just think he only excels in the right environment, which is probably true of most drivers, but some more than others.
Felipe Baby!