[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

M840TR wrote:
21 May 2020, 09:59
mwillems wrote:
20 May 2020, 22:45
Mclarens 3d printing...
https://www.mclaren.com/racing/partners ... rformance/

We just heard about it in several articles in 2017, likely due to a partnership with Stratasys. Then heard nothing as far as I can see. Didn't realise that was 3 years ago, seems sooner.
They did have several 3d printed trial front wings in 2018...
Makes sense. And I guess they will use it now still, but without a technical partnership there is no need to talk about it.

Would be great to know what parts they use it for now and why, why the lead times are etc....

Imagine the day they could 3d print a whole new front wing in a few hours to exact flexibility and strength specifications, that could be the revolutionary equivalent of carbon fibre entering F1. The time and money it would save in development is immense. All those times the new wing was broken and they had to revert to an old wing, gone.

I wonder if PhilipM can get any insider knowledge about Mclarens use of 3d printing?

Found this

https://www.3dnatives.com/en/formula-1- ... 281020194/

it also says the partnership with Stratasys was for 4 years and indeed they are on the Mclaren Partners page.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

mclaren111

Is the Chinese Wuhan Virus to blame ??

MtthsMlw

Head of Strategy and Sporting doing an AMA on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/formula1/comme ... _anything/

adrianjordan

I saw a clickbait article suggesting that Mclaren could be in trouble because they have asked for a 250million "bailout" from the UK Government.

The authors clearly choosing to ignore the billionaire backers of the group and that the group as a whole has been profitable before Covid-19 hit and that the luxury sports car market is probably safer than most as rich people tend to stay rich through these kinds of crisis.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

diffuser

adrianjordan wrote:
24 May 2020, 00:04
I saw a clickbait article suggesting that Mclaren could be in trouble because they have asked for a 250million "bailout" from the UK Government.

The authors clearly choosing to ignore the billionaire backers of the group and that the group as a whole has been profitable before Covid-19 hit and that the luxury sports car market is probably safer than most as rich people tend to stay rich through these kinds of crisis.
Doesn't mean they have money to around.

proteus

I wonder how were they able to sign Ricciardo if they are completely out of cash? Noone with sane mind would sign a double digit million driver if you dont have the money.

To me it looks like more as an opportunity to get some free cash compensation, since loss of sales has happened, but since the lockdown is slowly being lifted, cars will start to roll out of the factories soon.

Mclaren cars are a well seeked commodity and a well established brand, so i dont see a problem with regaining momentum. Maybe some cuts will be needed though.
If i would get the money to start my own F1 team, i would revive Arrows

proteus

On the other hand, it would be very ironic if Ron Dennis would return with cash injection, taking the team back under his control.

Fulcrum

adrianjordan wrote:
24 May 2020, 00:04

Sensationalist perhaps, but the debt covenant from the UK government probably wouldn't involve renegotiating shareholder equity, something private debt would be more likely to require. Terms of repayment (excluding any issuance of equity) might be less onerous as well.

Big Tea

If they need it or not and there is money being handed out, most companies will dip their spoon in for a try
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

shotzski

proteus wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:46
I wonder how were they able to sign Ricciardo if they are completely out of cash? Noone with sane mind would sign a double digit million driver if you dont have the money.

To me it looks like more as an opportunity to get some free cash compensation, since loss of sales has happened, but since the lockdown is slowly being lifted, cars will start to roll out of the factories soon.

Mclaren cars are a well seeked commodity and a well established brand, so i dont see a problem with regaining momentum. Maybe some cuts will be needed though.
Maybe they have already projected a significant rebound in sales/cash flow come 2021, which by then Daniel's contract would start?

maxxer

Surely if they get cash it will not be just for free but as a loan , just to keep the jobs for future and the buildings , look at the caterham f1 hq becoming a derelict building noone has a use of such in their municipality

proteus

shotzski wrote:
24 May 2020, 12:16
proteus wrote:
24 May 2020, 09:46

Maybe they have already projected a significant rebound in sales/cash flow come 2021, which by then Daniel's contract would start?
The biggest problems of european and american banks is that they are loaning money which they dont have, the biggest problem of companies on the other side is predicting sales and growth which didnt happen jet. Thats why chinese are owning half of the world economy. They can have 10 years of crisis and they will get trough it, while we get it for few months and half of the companies are in the brink of collapse.

saviour stivala

Google and read ‘Could Mclaren and Aston Martin be facing financial trouble?’. By Dhruv George may 23 2020.

aral

The signing of riccardo is really a mystery unless they want a name to attract certain sponsors?
riccardo signed for 10m$ , whereas he was on 20m$ from renault. ok, there is a 400k bonus for a podium, but he will have to be on the podium for every race in a year, to get close to what he was getting with renault ! And that is a HUUUUGGE ask .