Which series from the past you would like to return?

Please discuss here all your remarks and pose your questions about all racing series, except Formula One. Both technical and other questions about GP2, Touring cars, IRL, LMS, ...
fritticaldi

Which series from the past you would like to return?

Poll : Which defunct racing series in its original guise you would want to revive? 1. Aurora AFX Series 2. Formula 3000 3. A1 Grand Prix. In my opinion I would like the A1GP series to return. I liked the cars ( Ferrari F2004 chassis and Engine) , drivers ( what an eclectic mix) , the racing venues and format . Such a shame it disappeared.

Xwang

Re: Which series from the past you would like to return?

Is it possible to vote for F1?

nzjrs

A1 Grand Prix!

strad

F1 any time before 1990preferably the 70s
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Maritimer

Group C

fritticaldi

Group C would be amazing. But we know how unsafe those cars were like the Porsche 956/962. It makes me dream. We were lucky to have experienced those wonderful times.

UlleGulle

fritticaldi wrote:
27 May 2020, 04:26
Group C would be amazing. But we know how unsafe those cars were like the Porsche 956/962. It makes me dream. We were lucky to have experienced those wonderful times.
Sadly, I haven't. But I'd given it some thought on how to revive it with it's core values, without making it dangerously fast or stupidly expensive.

So, here is my proposition.

Standard aluminum honeycomb tub, floor and drag plate delivered to teams.
The floor has a cutout for individually constructed diffusor.
The drag plate is a vertical surface which must be fully visible from the back. This is to improve racing without the need for artificial means like DRS.
Engine volume and layout is free. A fuel limiter will keep horsepower in check to around 600 hp.
The chassis must be a space frame chassis connected to the hub. The material for this chassis is steel pipes supplied by the series.
The body must be made out of glass fiber supplied by the series.
A standard supplier of exhaust components must be used by the teams.

Every team must be either backed by, or choose a manufacturer as their donor base.
All components, including the engine, must be standard components from cars manufactured in at least 999 road going vehicles.
The engine must be bog standard with the exclusion of camshafts and their drive.
Components can be mixed from different models as long as all cars meet the production volume requirement, eg. brakes and gearbox from a SUV can be used in a car otherwise using components from a sportscar.
Components can be used in a different way from their original use, eg. front suspension can be used in the rear.

For marketing purposes the grill and windshield from an existing car must be used.

Use of windtunnels is banned. Only CFD software supplied by the series must be used.
Only load calculating software used supplied by the series must be used.

djos

CART pre 2004 was awesome! Also IMSA from the 80’s was epic too.
"In downforce we trust"

Just_a_fan

UlleGulle wrote:
29 May 2020, 09:27

Standard aluminum honeycomb tub,
Why aluminium? A carbon tub would be safer and likely not much different in cost, especially as it can take a knock or two where an aluminium tub is more easily damaged and therefore costly in the long term.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

UlleGulle

Just_a_fan wrote:
29 May 2020, 10:42
UlleGulle wrote:

Why aluminium? A carbon tub would be safer and likely not much different in cost, especially as it can take a knock or two where an aluminium tub is more easily damaged and therefore costly in the long term.
I thought of it as a cost-cutting measure, but I'm happy to be corrected. Thanks!

Jolle

UlleGulle wrote:
29 May 2020, 11:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
UlleGulle wrote:

I thought of it as a cost-cutting measure, but I'm happy to be corrected. Thanks!
Aluminium is very fragile when you crash. If you want a cheapo series, there are lots of attempts with a steel space frame.

UlleGulle

Jolle wrote:
29 May 2020, 11:55
UlleGulle wrote:
29 May 2020, 11:36
Just_a_fan wrote:

Aluminium is very fragile when you crash. If you want a cheapo series, there are lots of attempts with a steel space frame.
This is a good day, since I've learnt something new. Anything but a aluminum honeycomb tub it is ;)

Just_a_fan

Something like this as a central tub would be good. This is from DTM:

It gives good driver protection as well as a safe box for the fuel tank. The cage above could then be bespoke to the shape that the team's car has. Likewise the front and rear structures can be simple frames that absorb crash energy and also are easy to replace.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

coaster

V10 era F1

strad

Which series? Can Am
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss