1:8 McLaren Honda MP4/4

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
strad

Re: 1:8 McLaren Honda MP4/4

Great work on those tie wraps Alex.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with another update. Apologies for the gap in between them, it's been absolutely hectic lately. This time I'll be covering stage 56: fitting the front brake ducts and radiator housings.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Left and right wastegate cooling pipe fronts (top left), wastegate cooling pipe x 2 (left, 2nd down), battery cable (left, 3rd down), left and right intercooler to engine pipes (bottom left), left and right injectors (top right) & left and right aerials (bottom right).

Parts needed from previous stages were:
- Left and right front brake ducts (Stages 8 and 11)
- Left and right radiator housings (Stages 32 and 51)
- Throttle cable bracket (Stage 49)
- Underbody front (Stage 49)
- Monocoque assembly (Stage 55)

First up the brake ducts were pushed into the holes on the left and right front brake assembly respectively (they were dry fitted FYI). This was trickier than it sounds as it was hard to get the alignment right, and hold onto the model without braking anything, managed to get it with a bit of jiggling, and bracing against the metal axle which is the strongest point.
Front right:

Front left:

Next up, 56.2: fitting the throttle cable bracket. Easy enough, this was just glued to the slot on the monocoque near the engine mounting point.
Before:

After:

next, 56.3: fitting the radiator housings to the monocoque.
For this stage, the 2 screws holding the monocoque back plate were removed. These apparently won't be replaced, so it's a mystery to me why they were even installed in the first place. It's actually my biggest bug bear with this project, a lot of the steps are unnecessary and feel like they're just in to pad the assembly length. The screws were also removed from the lower plate on the underside of the monocoque. I'm unsure if this will be replaced or not.

This now partially assembled monocoque was placed on the underbody front to test fit the radiator housing, before the paint being removed on the monocoque and the radiator housings being glued to it. My hunch is that the monocoque will be screwed directly to the underbody front (and middle) in place of the lower plate.

Now, full disclosure there is a mistake on this bit. Basically the right radiator housing is about 2mm higher than the left one. It doesn't present a problem when sitting on the underbody section, but may or may not present a problem when the bodywork is attached. If needs be, i'll just use a solvent remover and reattach the radiator housing into a more suitable position.

And that's it for this week folks. Next time is a tiny update, so I'll aim to get that out this week sometime so I can get back on track with the next issue. Thanks for reading.

Alex

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with the final update for issue 16. This time I'll be covering stage 57: assembling the engine 7.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Inside tail pipes x 2 (top left), outside tail pipes x 2 (top right), sprue parts: pressure regulator bottom (1), header tank hose (2), water inlet pipe (3), check valve (4), fuel pump pipe (5), 3 way joint (6), right throttle sensor (7), left throttle sensor (8), oil filter joints x 2 (9), left fuel hoses (10), right fuel hoses (11), right fuel pipe (12), left fuel pipe (13).

- Connectors (on sprue, Stage 51)
- Engine block assembly (Stage 54)
- Left and right injectors (Stage 56)

Firstly, 57.1: attaching the injectors to the connectors. The connectors were cut from the sprue.

And glued to the end of the injectors, care was taken to orientate them correctly.

Next, 57.2: attaching the injectors to the engine. The injectors were simply glued to the engine block assembly, this was quite fiddly as they are very delicate, got them in with tweezers. Care was taken to get the correct injector on the correct side, as they have a left and right and a front and back.

Next, 57.3: Joining the fuel pipes, 3-way joint and pressure regulator bottom. The respective parts were removed from the sprue. Care was taken not to trim the protrusions that help fit the parts.

The fuel pipes were then glued to the 3 way joint. Care was taken to get them as straight as possible.

Finally the pressure regulator bottom was glued to the other ends of the fuel pipes.

And that's it for this week. Not sure when I'll be back with the next update, but will try and keep them regular.

Cheers,

Alex

strad

this was quite fiddly
I have the distinct feeling that fiddly doesn't begin to describe lots of this project. I really don't think I would have the patience.
Nice work as usual.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back with another small update. This week we'll be covering issue stage 58, assembly of the left turbocharger.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Right turbocharger part 4 - RTP4 (1), left turbocharger part 6 - LTP6 (2), RTP6 (3), LTP4 (4), RTP1 (5), LTP1 (6), LTP2 (7), LTP3 (8), LTP5 (9).

- Left Fuel hoses x 3, right fuel pipes x 3, Engine block assembly, sprue of parts, fuel pipe assembly & injectors (Stage 57)

Firstly 58.1, LTP2 & LTP3 were glued together after removing the paint. The paint was also removed in the central bit of LTP3.

Next up LTP1 was glued to the centre of LTP2.
Before:

After:

I got LTP1 into the small gap with some tweezers and pushed it in with the back of the knife.

Finally LTP4 was glued onto LTP3.
Before:

After:

Next, 58.2, attaching the fuel hoses. First job was to carefully remove them from the sprue and trim the flash. This was impossible to do without also taking a little bit of the silver paint with it. I haven't decided if I'll touch this up or not. Shown below on my cutting mat to give an idea of scale.

This was then glued to the side of the fuel pipe sub assembly. Care was taken to ensure to correct orientation, which was perpendicular from above and angled up from the side. I've attached a photo of the magazine instructions for reference, I think I got it pretty spot on as it happens.

And the rest of that side:

And finally the other side:

Next, the fuel pipe sub assembly was attached to the engine block assembly. This was by and large one of the most fiddly things I've done on the model so far. It involved hooking the fuel hoses underneath the injectors, which itself involved lifting the injectors away from the engine block assembly and trying to manoeuvre the hoses under them without damaging any of the components. Photo below of the hoses hooked under, but not attached.

And attached, due to the elastic nature of the materials, and the position they were in I had to do one at a time, hold it in place until the glue had fully dried so that it didn't pop out when I done the next one, then do the 2nd one whilst holding the first one in (even when the glue was dry) and finally do the third one whilst still holding the first 2. Quite tricky as it turns out:

And that's it for this week. Next time I'll be continuing assembling the turbochargers and waste gates. Thanks for reading.

Alex

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with another update, dead short one this week though. This week I'll be covering stage 59, assembly of the right turbo charger.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Right exhaust base (1), left exhaust base (2), right turbocharger part 2 (3), RTP3, (4), RTP5 (5).

- Sprue of fuel injector parts (Stage 57)
- Sprue of turbocharger parts & engine block assembly (Stage 58)

So firstly, 59.1, the right turbo charger was assembled in the same way as the left one. (not pictured as there's noting new to show)

Next, 59.2, attaching the fuel pump and header tank hose. Firstly the fuel pump was removed from the sprue and glued into place on the engine block. Not really much to show.

Before:

After:

And next the header tank hose was glued onto the engine block assembly.

And that's it for this week, thanks for reading. I'm in the middle of moving houses so I'm not sure when the next update will be, hopefully get the last one of this issue out next weekend.

Cheers,

Alex

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with the last part of issue 17. This week I'll be covering stage 60, assembling the wastegates.

Parts supplied with this stage were: left and right wastegate rear cooling pipes (1 & 4), left wastegate front (2), right wastegate front (3), Turbo charger left and right parts respectively (5 & 8), Wastegate right (6) & wastegate left (7).

- Header tank (Stage 53)
- Plenum chamber (Stage 54)
- Oil/water heat exchanger (Stage 55)
- Sprue of plastic parts (Stage 57)
- Engine block assembly (Stage 59)

Firstly, 60.1: assembling the left and right wastegates. First up, the left wastegate rear, one of the rear cooling pipes and the left wastegate front. The paint was scraped away from the relevant surfaces, and the waste gate front and rear were glued together with the cooling pipe in the middle being left free to rotate. It was too fiddly to get intermittent photos.

And repeated for the right, the little stub on the right waste gate (confusingly pictured on the left, oops lol) has been left on just so I can distinguish them.

Next, 60.2: attaching the oil/water heat exchanger to the engine block. This was simply glued into place.
Before:

After:

Next, 60.3: fitting the check valve and water inlet pump pipe. These were first removed from the sprue.

The check valve was then glued onto the header tank. Care was taken to get it as perpendicular to the header tank as possible.

Next, the water inlet pump pipe was glued to the header tank. This had to be done in a specific orientation which I managed quite well, see the reference photo below.

Finally, 60.4: fitting the throttle body sensors and oil filter joints to the plenum chamber and engine block.
The left and right throttle sensors and oil filter joints were cut from the sprue, and the first throttle body was glued to the plenum chamber, this was reasonably fiddly but no more so than some of the other small parts so far. Care was taken to ensure the correct side throttle sensor was glued to the correct side of the plenum chamber.

And repeated for the other side.

Next the oil filter joints were glued to the engine block, these were very small and didn't really fit on the pins very well.
Before:

After:

And the other side:

And that's it for this week. I've got this months issue already assembled so will try and post that some evening this week. I know up to now it's seemed like it's all been pretty smooth sailing, bit of gluing here, bit of paint scraping there but ohh boy does it all go t*ts up in this months issue. Like jesus christ get ready for the sh*t show ladies and gents :lol: . As usual if there's anything else you want to see in more detail just let me know.

Thanks for reading,

Alex

strad

All the hoses and ancillary parts seem to be some of the trickiest work yet and you seem to have nailed it.
Great work Alex.
Sir Stirling Moss

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with another update. These next few updates will be covering issue 18, stages 61-64.

There's a lot of f*ck ups to write about in this one, so I'll be splitting it into several parts. So firstly, stage 61, fitting the engine block assembly to the monocoque assembly. Now as mentioned in my previous post this is also where the sh*t show begins, so strap yourself in and get ready for about 10 minutes worth of reading about 4 hours worth of solid rage filled hate. :lol: :lol:

Parts supplied with this stage were the left exhaust pipe front (1), left exhaust pipe inside rear (2) & left exhaust pipe outside rear (3).

- Nose box assembly (stage 1)
- Left engine mounting plate (stage 53)
- Right engine mounting plate (stage 55)
- Monocoque assembly, left and right intercooler to engine pipes (Stage 56)
- Engine block assembly, plenum chamber & header tank (Stage 60)

Firstly, 60.1, attaching the header tank to the engine block. This was simply glued on, trickiest bit was that I had to gently pry away the header tank hose, couldn't get a photo as it needed 2 hands but it involved bending it back with some tweezers gently enough so that it didn't snap, but not so gently that I couldn't get it connected to the bit of the header tank.

Next up, but still part of 60.1 was the attaching of the plenum chamber to the engine block. This was again glued into place, and didn't really present any problems, with the plenum anyway. :roll: You'll notice that in the photos below, the oil filter joint on the bottom of the engine block (see previous update) is missing. I'll get to why this was such a massive pain soon, no idea when it came off (other than between gluing the header tank on and now obviously) or how, but I didn't actually realise it had been knocked off until a later stage and ended up missing it as it's such a tiny part. Only realised when I came to review these photos that this was when it happened. #-o Care was taken to make sure the injection unit was glued to the plenum chamber. I held it in place with tweezers while the glue dried, see the last photo below.

Next, 61.2, attaching the nose box to the monocoque. This was pretty straight forward, was just screwed to the monocoque via the brackets placed in an earlier stage. Only tricky bit of this was that the screws were a little bit reluctant to line up with the holes in the brackets, perhaps they weren't completely perpendicular or something, but either way it turned out fine. This is one of the parts of the model that is removable at any given stage, although I probably won't bother as I like the complete look. Be a shame not to see the details of the brake calipers etc but there's lots of details that I won't be able to see on the model, still nice to know they're there. Nice to have the option I suppose.
Pre-attachment:

Post attachment:

And that'll do for this week, I'll be continuing with stage 61 next time I get on, probably some time next week as my entire weekend is being taken up with moving house and the small matter of the start of the season. :mrgreen:

Thanks for reading ladies and gents. Tune in next time for more of my awful ham fisted clumsiness.

Alex

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay. All moved into my temporary digs now so updates will be as regular as I can make them. I'll be continuing with stage 61 this week, and possibly some of the rest of this issue otherwise I'm going to end up quite far behind. I'll try anyway. I'm going to do the order of this in my actual working order, hopefully this will make sense as you read this entry.

So, 61.3, fitting the engine intercooler to engine pipes. So, the pipes are shown below, notice how they curve inwards. This is important as the curve curves inwards towards to chassis.

The paint was removed from the pipes and they were glued to the intercooler pipes on the radiator housings, left first (pictured) and then right (not pictured).

Happy days right....? Nope, not by a long shot.

Stage 61.4, temporarily attaching the engine block. Now normally I'd complain about how it's only temporary and therefore a pointless stage, but in this case it helped me to realise my error. Now firstly, the engine block was lowered onto the intercooler pipes, the idea being that the holes on the plenum chamber lined up with the protrusions on the intercooler pipes and the engine would sit flush with the chassis.

*Side note* it was at this point that I physically realised the engine oil filter was missing as described in my previous post. After some deliberation about whether or not to rectify the missing part or to leave it and just glue whatever wire will be placed there to the engine block instead, I decided that I couldn't live with the knowledge that I was half arsing it so had to come up with a fix. So I'm going to digress slightly while I address that problem, and then get back to 61.4.

So the way I tried to tackle the missing oil filter joint was to basically make own. The only way I could do this with the materials on hand was to cut a section out of the sprue, and file and trim it to get it as close to the right size as possible. A lot harder than it sounds as it turns out considering the size of the part I was trying to replicate. So, below is an interim photo of my poor replica.

And after about half an hour of sanding and cutting, I got it to a stage that i was happy enough. I was mainly concerned with the pin end being as close as possible, wasn't so bothered with the dimensions of the body of the joint. I also used a heated scalpel blade to cut a recess in the new part to fit on the small projection on the engine block assembly. The photos below shows the comparison to the existing.

And in relation to the original sprue it was taken from:

And glued onto the engine block assembly:

Not the best job, but it'll do. (stay tuned on this)

So back to the engine block, As you can see from the photos below it doesn't line up, I was fitting it ontop of the floor just so I could get a better idea of how it fit.

Now, at the time I could not, for the life of me work out why this was. I'm sure the keen eyed amongst you will have already realised what I did.

If some of you remember, I mentioned that when I glued the radiator housings onto the monocoque, one of them was about 2mm higher than the other, and I said I'd leave it until a time when it caused me a problem. My first assumption was that this was the root of my engine fitting problem. So I worked these off first, this was quite difficult because as it turns out the glue I use is stronger than the fires of hell haha. :lol: , I tried using a none-acetone nail varnish remover as I was concerned that an acetone based one would melt the plastic of the model. This would have been a disaster obviously #-o . The solution didn't work, so I ended up finding a long scalpel blade and essentially cutting the plastic that was bonded. this left a rough surface that had to be sanded down, but did work without compromising the structural integrity.

These were then glued back onto the monocoque, using the floor as a guide. Ended up with them pretty much bang on but it still didn't help with the engine fitting problem. I was very puzzled. This was when I realised I had just ballsed up right at the beginning and fitted the intercooler pipes the wrong way around. As you can see from the photos above, the curve of the intercooler to engine pipes curve away from the monocoque instead of towards them, basically I had put the left on the right and vice versa. Stupid stupid mistake caused by just rushing the model out. (When I get an issue I try and do all 3 or 4 stages in 1 day and then update this blog every week or so after). So.... I got these off, switched them around and bingo, had it sorted. Finally. :roll: As you can see the engine and monocoque now fit much more smoothly. Happy Alex.

Finally, after the drama, the engine mounting plates were screwed to the engine block and monocoque (care was taken to orientate them to the correct side and and rotation haha.)

The engine block was also screwed to the monocoque through the monocoque rear.

As an extra thing during this point, I also decided to neaten up the heat shielding on the floor. Easy enough, just cut a strip out of the extra heat shielding I had and stuck it on the floor, care was taken not to get any heat shielding on the small pins that fit the floor sections together. I'm not too bothered about the tiny gap in the middle as this is where the engine block assembly will sit on the floor, and will therefore cover it. I'm happy with it.
Before:

After:

And that's it for this week. Thanks for reading this particularly long winded entry. Sorry for blabbing on, just trying to give as much honest detail as possible instead of just saying ' yeah it's all going mint, no issues'.

I'll be carrying on with this issue next update, got 2 more stages to do which are reasonably detailed, and thankfully not as botched as this one.

Cheers,

Alex.

Rodak

Now, at the time I could not, for the life of me work out why this was.
Yeah, sort of the same issue I think you had with the radiators. Pretty amazing work, way beyond my pay grade. This may sound like a stupid question, but is this die cast plastic or metal? I have no experience or exposure to these models, so please forgive the ignorance. Also, it would seem socket head fasteners might be better for this application; slotted screws are pretty awful to work with as they require force into the hole to keep the screw driver in the slot(s). Just a thought; I've given up on phillips head sheet rock (wallboard) or deck screws and gone totally to six point drive screws for everything I do around the house.

One final question: Does that engine actually run? Looks like it should!

ajdavison2

Rodak wrote:
18 Jul 2020, 03:13
Now, at the time I could not, for the life of me work out why this was.
Yeah, sort of the same issue I think you had with the radiators. Pretty amazing work, way beyond my pay grade. This may sound like a stupid question, but is this die cast plastic or metal? I have no experience or exposure to these models, so please forgive the ignorance. Also, it would seem socket head fasteners might be better for this application; slotted screws are pretty awful to work with as they require force into the hole to keep the screw driver in the slot(s). Just a thought; I've given up on phillips head sheet rock (wallboard) or deck screws and gone totally to six point drive screws for everything I do around the house.

One final question: Does that engine actually run? Looks like it should!
Hi Rodak, the only stupid question is one that isn't asked haha. The model itself is a mix of die cast metals and varying plastics. The engine block assembly is almost all metal apart from the ancillaries, as well as the suspension members, some of the gearbox, and the wheels. The engine block itself certainly has a decent amount of heft to it. I wouldn't know if the weight is proportional to the actual car, but I can say that the engine block assembly weighs more than the monocoque assembly in this model.

I agree with you on the screws, they are hateful. But they're quite specialised and I don't have the tools to make more robust replacements at that scale. Ideally I could do with ones with a sharper thread and a higher grade of steel to avoid being chewed up when I'm screwing them in.

The engine unfortunately does not work. (but stay tuned for my next project in the new year 😉) the only movable parts of the model are the wheels rotate, the brake disks rotate, the steering is functional, and the front wing can be adjusted, this is in addition to the body work being removable etc.

ajdavison2

Hi everyone, back again with another update for issue 18. Still got quite a bit to get through with this stage before I do issue 19, so bare with me. This week I'll be covering stage 62, assembly of the exhaust pipe.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Right exhaust pipe front (1), right inside exhaust pipe (2), right outside exhaust pipe (3).

- Tailpipes outside and inside (Stage 57)
- Turbocharger parts on sprue & turbocharger (L-5) (Stage 58)
- Turbocharger (R-5) & exhaust bases L and R (Stage 59)
- Turbocharger parts on sprue & wastegate assembly (Stage 60)
- Left right exhaust pipe parts (Stage 61)
- Right exhaust pipe parts (Stage 62)

Firstly, 62.1, continuation of the assembly of the turbochargers.
The parts were laid out, starting with the left hand side.

Then the exhaust base was glued to the left exhaust pipe front.

Following this the turbocharger L-7 was glued to the left exhaust assembly.

And then the turbocharger L-5 was glued to this assembly.

And the same was repeated for the right exhaust assembly, intermediate photos not shown.

Next up, stage 62.2, joining the wastegates, inside exhaust pipes and tailpipes. Starting with the left side, firstly the wastegate was glued to the inside exhaust pipe rear, care was taken to align the slot in the exhaust pipe exactly horizontally with the seam in the wastegate assembly.

And then the exhaust pipe tip was glued to the end of the exhaust pipe rear.

And both sides completed:

Next up, the turbocharger L-4 part was removed from the sprue and glued to the end of the outside rear exhaust pipe. (left first).

Then the outside exhaust tip was glued to this sub assembly.

And the right:

And both sets of completed exhaust sub assemblies.

And that's it for today, thankfully no issues to report with this stage. Thanks for reading, I'll try and get back with another update this week sometime as I've got issue 19 ready to build (spoiler alert there's some body work, exciting times).

Cheers,

Alex

strad

More great work Alex. I'm quite sure I could not have done as well. I keep think you are going to get past all the fiddly parts but they keep coming. :wink:
Can't wait to see the finished product. I'm sure you are anxious as well.
Thanks for the updates.
Sir Stirling Moss

ajdavison2

Hi guys, back again with another update form issue 18.This time I'll be covering stage 64, attaching of the exhaust pipe.

Parts supplied with this stage were: Electrical system part A (1), electrical system part B5 (2), electrical system part B2 (3), electrical system part B6 (4), capacitor discharge ignition (CDI) unit (5), electrical system part B3 (6), electrical system part B1 (7), electrical system part B4 (8), telemetry unit (9), wires (10) (The wires did cause some confusion at a later date)

- Monocoque bottom plate rear (Stage 23)
- Underbody front, middle and rear (Stage 49)
- Left and right turbochargers (Stages 58 and 59 respectively)
- Exhaust pipe assemblies (Stage 62)
- Monocoque assembly (Stage 62)

Firstly, 64.1, temporarily attaching the underbody to the monocoque. Now most of you who read this regularly will know my aversion to temporarily attaching things as I see it as a way to pad the length of the magazine. But this one was actually needed to act as a jig for the exhaust so I can live with it.

Before:

After:

Next up the underbody middle was screwed to the monocque, not pictured but visible in the next photos.

64.2, attaching the exhaust pipes and turbochargers. First the exhaust pipe sub assembly was glued to the engine block, left side first They could only fit one way so there wasn't any issues here.

Next up the turbocharger was glued to the engine block assembly via the exhaust assembly, but NOT to the monocoque via the intercooler to engine pipe, this is so the engine block can be removed if required (visible in the 2nd photo below).

And then the right hand side was done in the same way, had a little issue with getting the connection between the intercooler pipes and the turbochargers flush on both sides, but it came together with a little tweaking and jigging.

The next photo is just to show how it sits on the underbody without the exhaust.

Next up, 64.3 was to fit the inside and outside exhaust pipes to the engine block. Firstly the left pipe was masked to the underbody rear to act as a rig.

Next up, the under body rear was fitted to the underbody middle in such a way that the wastegate of the exhaust pipe met the engine block assembly, this was important to get right as it will be how the finished model fits together, so not much room for mistakes here. This was then glued in place to the engine block assembly.

Next the tape was removed and the process repeated for the right hand side, as you can see in the photo the right hand wastegate has a 'bulb' left on from the sprue, this was so I could distinguish the right and left sides (not sure why I took these photos from the left, probably cause I tend to build each issue in a day so was still annoyed at the whole fiasco from the previous stage with the engine block).

And some photos from various views to show both inside exhaust pipes attached.

The process was repeated for the outside exhaust pipes on both sides.

And finally just a few of the overall model and engine block assembly as I think it looks pretty cool, I love how intricate the exhaust and turbo charger assemblies are. They are however quite fragile, I did knock the left one loose when I was fiddling them together but I glued it back again so wasn't much of an issue.

And that's it for this week, got 1 more from issue 18 to get through then I'll start issue 19. Will hopefully get round to them in the next week or so.

Thanks for reading,

Alex