Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
adrianjordan

Re: Silly Season 2020/2021 (starting with silliness in 2019)

NL_Fer wrote:
29 May 2020, 00:55
Renault won’t collapse. Their cars have purpose for allot of buyers. But most of them are looking for a nice, comfortable car. Not a sporty or premium one. So Renault has F1 heritage, but Motorsport is not helping their brand image or sales at the moment.
Agreed. Formula-e would seem a better marketing platform for them.
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

raymondu999

I have always wondered as much. F1 helped Ferrari achieve TOMA but Ferrari as a supercar brand, F1 was right up its alley. Mercedes, sure. Aston, sure. But I never understood why Renault did it. I would think they’d be better off using it to market their GTRs or something. Cant believe them being in/not in f1 has affected sales of the twingo or leaf much
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

True, although I'd always choose a Renault over Peugeot or Citroën. No idea why, other than because Renault are a successful F1 manufacturer. I wonder how many people think the same way. Its obviously worth it to Renault.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

adrianjordan

NathanOlder wrote:
30 May 2020, 09:30
True, although I'd always choose a Renault over Peugeot or Citroën. No idea why, other than because Renault are a successful F1 manufacturer. I wonder how many people think the same way. Its obviously worth it to Renault.
See I'd make the same choice....but based on having owned a Peugeot in the past lol
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

raymondu999

NathanOlder wrote:
In realistic terms though - how many car sale units has that helped them?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Big Tea

raymondu999 wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:28
NathanOlder wrote:
Probably depends on how many prospective prime dealership owners they take to Monaco :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Jolle

raymondu999 wrote:
30 May 2020, 11:28
NathanOlder wrote:
It’s probably some kind of equation with exposure of the brand and how much exposure you need to boost sales.

A marketing scientist probably can give a pretty decent estimate what Renaults exposure is worth and how much it will mean in sales. But, in times of financial crisis it can be bad publicity because F1 is also seen as something extravagant expensive while for instance sponsoring a football team isn’t seen as that.

PlatinumZealot

If she sales of sharea go to wards the highest bidder, at Williams... George Russel could very well be without a Seat.

The Latiffis have pumped in some cash... But the Mazepins... They either will have to live with the Latifi occupation and pay for Merc engine - ousting Russel or force the Latifis out if the current discount deal Mercedes Engine remains.

Knowing that Williams will want as much cash as possible I can see them dumping George and having Mazepin cover the loss of the discount.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Jun 2020, 15:43
If she sales of sharea go to wards the highest bidder, at Williams... George Russel could very well be without a Seat.

The Latiffis have pumped in some cash... But the Mazepins... They either will have to live with the Latifi occupation and pay for Merc engine - ousting Russel or force the Latifis out if the current discount deal Mercedes Engine remains.

Knowing that Williams will want as much cash as possible I can see them dumping George and having Mazepin cover the loss of the discount.
In that case. Perhaps Russell to Renault? Making an odd situation where Merc controls both seats at Renault lol. But that would be a big red flag for them I suppose.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

NathanOlder

raymondu999 wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 06:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:

In that case. Perhaps Russell to Renault? Making an odd situation where Merc controls both seats at Renault lol. But that would be a big red flag for them I suppose.
I thought Ocon's ties have pretty much been cut now to Mercedes. So Mercedes have no influence at all over what Ocon or Renault do.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

raymondu999

I know that Wolff is still manager to Ocon. Whether that is an extension of Ocon being a Mercedes program driver, or a completely separate notion, I don’t know.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

Yes he is cut from Mercedes. Similar to how Perez left Ferrari by his own doing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Scorpaguy

raymondu999 wrote:
05 Jun 2020, 06:34
PlatinumZealot wrote:

I have to say that an intra-team competition of Rus vs Ocon would be one of the most interesting pairings of the last decade. Far more so than the bride/bridesmaid pairings at the front of the grid hamstrung by team politics or the driver/rich kid pairings elsewhere.

raymondu999

Yes. It could, effectively also end Vettel’s chances at Merc - because it could be winner takes all for Merc’s second seat. Idk
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Scorpaguy

With another 30 days to race #1...an uncertain "season" thereafter...the 2020 season stands to be nothing more than an asterisks. If we see an October covid resurgence, 2021 could become a 16-18 car grid of teams with varying degrees of interest/sustainability in an equally odd season. Eventually, even the rich manufacturers will have bottom lines to balance. It seems possible that 2022 could be the most dramatically different season we have ever seen...with rich, established drivers being outmoded on all fronts...young, fast kids too ill-funded to find a drive...waning numbers of daddy-funded teams. F1 race fees may be unrealistic in many venues...leaving an inadequate number of dates. F1 as it existed pre-covid, may be a decade or more away.

Chase Carey has to be losing sleep. Bernie...we may have not seen the last of him.