[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
jjn9128

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

AratzH wrote:
29 May 2020, 14:36
Nothing to be worried about really, since we all play by the same rules, but interesting as a theoretical debate.
Not much of a shock. Work to the software not to what F1 cars look like. How much of a difference in forces?
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

AratzH

MVRC: Total lift: -2.466, Front lift: -1.25, Rear lift: -1.216, Drag: 1.676
Other: Total lift: -2, Front lift: -1.2, Rear lift: -0.8, Drag: 1.4

Rear lift is the main difference, probably due to the difference in front wing and tires wake development. Looking at per part lift and drag:
MVRC Front wing:
Cl = -0.922
Other Front wing:
Cl = -0.96

MVRC Rear wing:
Cl = -0.922
Other Rearwing:
Cl = -0.74
MVRC -> TF

jjn9128

I just meant difference not absolute numbers but I guess as those are revealed in the result one can't be too precious. I find it interesting you lost rear downforce considering the difference in tyre wake.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Thomas2019
Thomas2019

I get around 13% more overall downforce by roughly the same refinement settings but increased layer coverage. So yes, optimise the car to the software is the way to go.

wb92

That's actually interesting what was mentioned here. Looks like too many details on the car cause issues...
MVRC - WBRacing

LVDH

By just looking at the upper image, I would think to definitely have to refine a bit more towards the outer y-direction. But after looking at the lower image, I am surprised to see how similar the two are.
The main difference is indeed the tire wake. In the lower one it looks a bit more "transient", which could result from the numerical settings. I will try to do a small study on this by just refining more to larger y, but keeping everything else the same.

CAEdevice

AratzH wrote:
29 May 2020, 14:36
I actually did a mesh sensitivity study regarding precisely the effect of the coarse region in out wash. I probably don't have the most aggressive execution, but it definitively affects things.
This two pictures are simulations of the same geometry at Z=-0.1. The first one is the MVRC template. The second one is the settings we use at work, slightly different mesher, but same solver settings.

https://i.imgur.com/trE6IHj.png

https://i.imgur.com/rS3yNy7.png

As you can see the out wash is a bit different, the one from the front wing seems stronger in MVRC. The main difference is the tire wake and the out wash generated by the barge boards.
Nothing to be worried about really, since we all play by the same rules, but interesting as a theoretical debate.
Thanks for sharing. I see differences in the whole tyre wake, not only in the out wash. Maybe the mesh refinement is extended to volume below -0,1m?

It would be interesting to see what happens with the rear tyre wake (I'm going to share an image of my post processing later).

EDIT: Here is an image of the same region and slice (but the scale is from 0 m/s to 50 m/s: it is an image from MFlow not from Paraview). My front wing is even more aggressive about outwash than TF's, but the tyre wake is still very strong.

LVDH

Hi guys, I am wondering about how to send all the cars to you after the weekend. Dropbox is not really an option any more, as we have too many cars. I am wondering about Wetransfer. Does anyone know if this would work for us, has experience or a better idea? Thanks.

CAEdevice

I can send you a link to upload my car, directly to my dropbox folder, so you can disregard it
Anyway, no hurry. The images and plots folders and the html report would be enough in my opinion.

machin

LVDH wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:53
I just had the honor of checking half of your cars. I found very few violations (Chris found more...)
Good ol' Chris, :wink:

The scrutineering images will be part of the video... but I can reveal some good news: only warnings were issued for this race. Please would all participants look at the issues found and check whether they are present on your cars.. the images in the video are only examples; some of these transgressions are present on a number of cars... and we will issue penalties next time... :?

I've got to say... it's been good to run some simulations and crunch some numbers again!

The video will be live at 13:00 CEST on the link below:-

One more teaser: the time gaps between the cars are very small.....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

LVDH

machin wrote:
31 May 2020, 00:21
LVDH wrote:
27 May 2020, 19:53
I just had the honor of checking half of your cars. I found very few violations (Chris found more...)
Good ol' Chris, :wink:
](*,)
One day I will learn.

I have no idea who won, so I am also looking forward to this video.

cecca98
cecca98

Are we the only ones refreshing the page in a compulsive way? :lol:

Koldskaal

cecca98 wrote:
31 May 2020, 13:23
Are we the only ones refreshing the page in a compulsive way? :lol:
F5 gang 😎 reporting for duty

Every comparison to F1 -> +5 min delay 😆
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

MaccaRacing
MaccaRacing

Me too.. But not fan of F5.. Refresh icon is the way hahaha

variante

Bois, we've been refreshing for an hour. If there's an issue with the video, just tell us and reschedule everything.