New Vietnamese Track

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: New Vietnamese Track

working tirelessly to transform what was a swamp.
Great another track that will deteriorate quickly because of being built on swamp land.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dtro

strad wrote:
10 Jan 2020, 06:11
working tirelessly to transform what was a swamp.
Great another track that will deteriorate quickly because of being built on swamp land.
Valencia 2.0

strad

we have a few tracks built on poor substrate... Even Texas. :o
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Ringleheim

JAA17 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 15:54
astracrazy wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:18
Looks as expected. Crap.

Will be full of artificial overtaking from long straights using DRS and thats it. It looks like the track has been designed for this.

I don't see one corner where you could make a dive down the inside or go around the outside. They are either too fast or there is an immediate 90 degree in the opposite direction meaning there wouldn't be space.
I do not like DRS. Wish they would get rid of that. It is dumb.
Pretty sure you are not the only one.

6 of 12

Ugh... FFS! What is wrong with whoever is responsible for this?

WHAT IS WRONG WITH ELEVATION CHANGE?!?!?
No, Kimi, no. You will not have the drink.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

It looks nicer in plan view than street view! But IMO the games generally don't do tracks justice when it comes to viewing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Fulcrum

Feels like a mix of Mexico, Singapore, Baku and Sochi. It may make for good racing, probably more for safety car interventions than anything else, but it looks awful.

godlameroso

Are you kidding? Having driven the virtual version, it's actually quite nice to drive. Sector 3 is very nice indeed.
Saishū kōnā

ENGINE TUNER

JAA17 wrote:
30 Apr 2019, 15:54
astracrazy wrote:
25 Apr 2019, 15:18
Looks as expected. Crap.

Will be full of artificial overtaking from long straights using DRS and thats it. It looks like the track has been designed for this.

I don't see one corner where you could make a dive down the inside or go around the outside. They are either too fast or there is an immediate 90 degree in the opposite direction meaning there wouldn't be space.
I do not like DRS. Wish they would get rid of that. It is dumb.
I do not like dirty air. Wish they would get rid of that. It is dumb. But as long as its around DRS is a decent way to equalize things.

DRS and active aero is generally a good idea, when implemented properly. It's better than watching processions like imola 05 when Schumacher couldn't pass Alonso who only had 9 working cylinders.

It takes alot of skill to drive within 1s of the car ahead, it takes no skill whatsoever to emit dirty air and terrible tires which overheat at the first slide.

DRS is the best solution I have seen for the dirty air issue thus far, hopefully the new aero package will greatly lower the dirty air. Have a better one?
Last edited by ENGINE TUNER on 03 Jun 2020, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

DRS is ok but it should only be enough to allow the following driver to get close enough to try an overtake. Sometimes it's so effective that the following driver has overtaken and pulled across in front before the end of the straight. At the Vietnam circuit, DRS on the very long straight would be silly as the following driver will just whizz by. Put it on the straight before that, however, and it allows him to close up enough that good driving around the loop should give him a chance to get close enough to overtake at the end of the long straight. Thus skill still required at each end of the long straight. If DRS allows "thank you. bye" overtakes, then it's being incorrectly used by the organisers.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

godlameroso

There is nowhere else to pass on this circuit. It is almost impossible to overtake when a straight ends in a chicane. Only the long straight doesn't end in a chicane, the other DRS zone is useless.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

The point is to use the DRS zone to help the following driver to close up, not to make a dead cert overtake at the end of the looooooong straight. If the following driver can get close around the loop - that takes skill - then the following straight should allow a chance of an overtake, not a certainty.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
03 Jun 2020, 21:41
The point is to use the DRS zone to help the following driver to close up, not to make a dead cert overtake at the end of the looooooong straight. If the following driver can get close around the loop - that takes skill - then the following straight should allow a chance of an overtake, not a certainty.
Yes, drs should shut when the cars are even, but thefiaare incompetent, they can't even wave the checkered flag on the right lap.

RZS10

After the race at Portimao i thought i'd check out the new track in F1 2020 since it has a free weekend and not only do i hate the game but also this track, it's terrible and i hope with Corona and all it gets scrapped all together and we never get a race there and get more races at actually good tracks like today.