Notable F1 names you tend to forget

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Rodak

Re: Notable F1 names you tend to forget

Yep, you're right, read too fast and misunderstood. Sorry.

Andres125sx

strad wrote:
07 Jun 2020, 03:46
I'm sorry but I don't know how any F1 fan who is older than 50 years old cannot be familiar will all the names on that list.
Sir John Arthur Brabham, AO, OBE was indeed an Australian with I'm pretty sure 3 WDCs. The stories I have read say he was called "Black Jack" because of his very some say overly aggressive driving style.
Not trying to be rude. I'm just truly surprised.
Corrected that for you sir :mrgreen:

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 08:02
strad wrote:
I'm sorry but I don't know how any F1 fan who is older than 50 years old cannot be familiar will all the names on that list.
Sir John Arthur Brabham, AO, OBE was indeed an Australian with I'm pretty sure 3 WDCs. The stories I have read say he was called "Black Jack" because of his very some say overly aggressive driving style.
Sorry but if you're a fan of the sport, a knowledge of the history of it is surely required. I'm not quite 50 years old (will be next birthday) but I'm aware of the names from the past - at least the "big names" even if not the lesser guys who made less of an impact. Certainly, I'd expect any fan of F1 to have heard of the champions, even if not the entire midfield and backmarkers.

I assume everyone has heard of Fangio and Ascari. How about Farina? The guy won the first ever F1 title in 1950 so perhaps ought to be remembered. There have a been a number of single title champions and they are obviously less well known than the multiple champions but we really ought to know most/all of the names even if not the stories associated with them. For every Schumacher, Senna, Prost, Lauda, there's a Farina, Hawthorn, Hill (Phil), Hulme.

I wonder if "modern fans" are so used to only having a two or three champions around at a time because they win successive titles, that they forget that for over 20 years (61-85) there was no back-to-back championship winner. From Jack Brabham in 1959/60 to Alain Prost in 1985/86 there was a different champion each year. Sure, some drivers won it more than once, but never back to back. Hill (Graham), Clark, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Lauda are all big names in the sport but none of them won back to back titles.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 13:45
Andres125sx wrote:
strad wrote:
Sorry but if you're a fan of the sport, a knowledge of the history of it is surely sensible
Corrected that for you sir :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now seriously, the big names, yes, but the thread is about those who are easily forgotten, wich does imply they´re not the big names so people who has not seen them live can easily ignore them

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 18:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Sorry but if you're a fan of the sport, a knowledge of the history of it is surely sensible

Now seriously, the big names, yes, but the thread is about those who are easily forgotten, wich does imply they´re not the big names so people who has not seen them live can easily ignore them
It didn't need correcting, thanks.

The two lists presented in the first page included 6 world champions. Your own list included 2, one of whom was a double champion, along with probably the best known driver (Stirling Moss) not to win the title (although this is probably shared with Gilles Villeneuve). You have heard of Gilles, I assume... :wink:

Andres125sx

Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 18:13
Andres125sx wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

The two lists presented in the first page included 6 world champions. Your own list included 2, one of whom was a double champion, along with probably the best known driver (Stirling Moss) not to win the title (although this is probably shared with Gilles Villeneuve). You have heard of Gilles, I assume... :wink:
Actually yes it need correction, there are thousands of fans who know nothing about them, so no, a knownledge of the history is not required

Ok 2 world champs, but what about the rest? Do you think a current teenager who´s not a hardcore fan know something about the rest?

I know fans who know nothing even about Moss, people tend to think what they know is what everybody knows, but reality is F1 history is irrelevant for most F1 fans

Just_a_fan

Andres125sx wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 07:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Jun 2020, 18:13
Andres125sx wrote:

Actually yes it need correction, there are thousands of fans who know nothing about them, so no, a knownledge of the history is not required

Ok 2 world champs, but what about the rest? Do you think a current teenager who´s not a hardcore fan know something about the rest?

I know fans who know nothing even about Moss, people tend to think what they know is what everybody knows, but reality is F1 history is irrelevant for most F1 fans
Then they're not fans.

A fan is someone with an intense interest in a sport, all aspects of the sport. A fan immerses themselves in the sport, not just today but yesterday too. "Fan" comes from "fanatic" so there's a clue for you.

Football fans know the history of the sport, even if just their prefered team's history. Someone who just watches football with no passion for the game and it's history isn't a fan. Ask a baseball fan about his sport and you'll hear about the greats over the years.

I enjoy watching rugby, having played a lot at school, but I'm not immersed in it and its history so I'm not a "fan". Likewise cricket. I enjoy it but I'm not a fan.

Oh, I hate football as it happens. :lol:

Polite

John Surtees anyone? The only F1 and motorbike world champion in history!
Martini..
Modena.. the karting champion who beat Senna
Larini.. not a good F1 career (remember the OSELLA team :D ) but unbeatable in DTM (when Alfaromeo ruled Mercedes so many times that they just changed the rules to kick away Alfa from the championship)

strad

Right on Just A Fan.
I guess many who call themselves fans are just casually interested. I suppose fan is an over and misused term.
Even though I enjoy the different forms of football I am not a fanatic so I am currently getting ready to read "How Football Began: A Global History of How the World's Football Codes Were Born" an in depth look at why, in the space of 60 years, between 1850 and 1910, football grew from a marginal and unorganized activity to become the dominant winter entertainment for millions of people around the world. The book explores how the world’s football codes - soccer, rugby league, rugby union, American, Australian, Canadian and Gaelic - developed into this large commercialized leisure industry .
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Jolle

Drivers I tend to forget... uhm... dunno.. that one guy, you know... oh well, I forgot

hollus

Just_a_fan wrote:
I wonder if "modern fans" are so used to only having a two or three champions around at a time because they win successive titles, that they forget that for over 20 years (61-85) there was no back-to-back championship winner. From Jack Brabham in 1959/60 to Alain Prost in 1985/86 there was a different champion each year. Sure, some drivers won it more than once, but never back to back. Hill (Graham), Clark, Stewart, Fittipaldi, Lauda are all big names in the sport but none of them won back to back titles.
Wow! That is a fascinating piece of info. I’d call myself a fan and I’d probably be able to recite 90% of that list, but the fact that there were no back to backs; that I had never heard or realized.
And the implications, man, they go on and on in my head right now.
Rivals, not enemies.

Just_a_fan

hollus wrote:
09 Jun 2020, 21:36
Just_a_fan wrote:
Wow! That is a fascinating piece of info. I’d call myself a fan and I’d probably be able to recite 90% of that list, but the fact that there were no back to backs; that I had never heard or realized.
And the implications, man, they go on and on in my head right now.
It is cool, isn't it? I can't remember when I heard it, and when I did I didn't believe it until I went and looked. But there it is.

The other oddity is that back to back titles were common before then. Farina had the first ever title followed by Fangio, then Ascari had back to back, then Fangio had 4 on the bounce, Hawthorn had is only title before Brabham had his double. Then the long gap of no back-to-backs before we started to see them again (Prost, Senna, Michael). And then the last 22 years where there have only been four titles that weren't back-to-back (Kimi '07, Lewis '08, Jenson '09 and Nico '16). The other 18, of course, being won by only five drivers (Mika, Michael, Fernando, Seb and Lewis).

I reckon someone could write a paper on the reasons why it might have been that way.

One can have huge fun in quiet moments pondering these things and looking back at the stats over the years. 8)

NathanOlder

How about Jacques Villeneuve.

Very notable (by name)

Yet he never even qualified for a race. Surely they don't come more notable and forgetful :D
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

Brilliant! You had me confused there for a moment and I had to go look him up. :oops:

Good old Uncle Jacques!

Jolle

NathanOlder wrote:
10 Jun 2020, 17:50
How about Jacques Villeneuve.

Very notable (by name)

Yet he never even qualified for a race. Surely they don't come more notable and forgetful :D
Come on :P every self respected motorsport fan should know there were more then two Villenueves, Hills and Fittipaldis in F1 (but not all related)

(Spoiler, Phill was American, while the other two were not)