Silverstone double header with alternating tyres

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
raymondu999

Silverstone double header with alternating tyres

Thoughts? I find it very interesting that they did this for Silverstone but not the RB Ring. (As in, why not both? Or why not neither?)

But i think a bit of strategic variation is needed to keep the races from being stale. Especially if (hopefully not) they just transpose one race’s S-M strategy to the next’s M-H or somesuch (maintaining same C-denotation strategy)

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Jolle

Re: Silverstone double header with alternating tyres

raymondu999 wrote:
12 Jun 2020, 04:58
Thoughts? I find it very interesting that they did this for Silverstone but not the RB Ring. (As in, why not both? Or why not neither?)

But i think a bit of strategic variation is needed to keep the races from being stale. Especially if (hopefully not) they just transpose one race’s S-M strategy to the next’s M-H or somesuch (maintaining same C-denotation strategy)

https://formularapida.net/pirelli-revea ... ations-en/
I suspect it has to do with the track. Silverstone #2 will be rubbered in quite extensively compared to the green #1 weekend.

Plus, it’s nice to have a faster car week #2 (plus there will be Friday practice because they need the data).

For Austria, probably going conservative, being the first GP in more then half a year. We always see this with F1’s firsts. Boring conservative races.

raymondu999

Wrt rubbering in - Does that not assume no rain? Also I remember Pirellis didnt rubber in as much, tending to marble more than rubber in. Unless that’s changed and I missed it.

Still. The steiermark one couldve gone racier for the same reasoning
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Just_a_fan

There were people complaining that a double header at Silverstone played in to Mercedes's hands - maybe this is an attempt to prevent that?

I'd have thought that the teams will gnerally just use the C2 and C3 for the race and ignore the C1 and C4. The C4 will be used for qualifying in the second race. The C1 might be a useful "send one driver out on a run long" tyre to give a split strategy, especially if a driver is a bit lower on the grid than might be expected.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.