Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Andres125sx

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

dans79 wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 17:52
And just to get back on topic, Unless the 2020 RBR is like like the 2013 RBR in that it can qualify on the front row and then just runaway and hide Max won't win in 2020.

China 2018, shows Maxes main flaws. He was in the right spot at the right time to win the race, but he ended up 5th because he is overzealous and in my personal opinion still hasn't grown out of the entitlement he was raised with.

Very good example, Max in front made at least two big mistakes trying to pass Hamilton and Vettel, Ricciardo didn´t (despite some pass was extremelly tight) so he finally won the race

This is a very good example about how being the fastest may not be enough to win

ENGINE TUNER

Andres125sx wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 18:55
dans79 wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 17:52
And just to get back on topic, Unless the 2020 RBR is like like the 2013 RBR in that it can qualify on the front row and then just runaway and hide Max won't win in 2020.

China 2018, shows Maxes main flaws. He was in the right spot at the right time to win the race, but he ended up 5th because he is overzealous and in my personal opinion still hasn't grown out of the entitlement he was raised with.

Very good example, Max in front made at least two big mistakes trying to pass Hamilton and Vettel, Ricciardo didn´t (despite some pass was extremelly tight) so he finally won the race

This is a very good example about how being the fastest may not be enough to win
Same foolishness in Brazil 18, and Mexico 19 and should have been penalized in Austria 19. He's not ready and he isn't getting better.

NathanOlder

But the more a driver gets away with something, the more they will do it. The stewards clamped down on Lewis hard in 07/08 and it made him a better driver in the long run.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Just_a_fan

I've noticed that Formula 1's youtube channel is showing a lot of Max's wins. Almost as if they're bigging him up for the coming season. Hardly anything from anyone else. Kind of feels like they're trying to create a narrative for the coming season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 00:12
I've noticed that Formula 1's youtube channel is showing a lot of Max's wins. Almost as if they're bigging him up for the coming season. Hardly anything from anyone else. Kind of feels like they're trying to create a narrative for the coming season.
Their champion needs his challenger.

With Vettel more or less out of the way they need to set up Verstappen to give it some kind of arena feel.

and next to that, if Hamilton wins this year and would call it quits, together with Vettel (and Raikkonen) there wouldn't be a WC on the grid anymore. That possibility is not something Liberty wants.

Wynters

Jolle wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 00:28
Such is the narrative the media demands (it's so depressing that one of the most technically challenging and interesting sports is reduced to WWE/Reality TV 'storylines'). Interesting that they've chosen the Red Bull over Ferrari though*.

*I mean that purely in the sense that Ferrari is so intrinsic to F1 it should have better name recognition, not that the Ferrari is/isn't the fastest option.

TAG

Jolle wrote:
if Hamilton wins this year and would call it quits, together with Vettel (and Raikkonen) there wouldn't be a WC on the grid anymore. That possibility is not something Liberty wants.
It would only be for one year. :)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 21:28
But the more a driver gets away with something, the more they will do it. The stewards clamped down on Lewis hard in 07/08 and it made him a better driver in the long run.
The stewards clamped down Lewis in 2007? Do you really think that?

NathanOlder

Andres125sx wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 08:08
NathanOlder wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 21:28
The stewards clamped down Lewis in 2007? Do you really think that?
It was meant more like, Lewis didn't drive like a moron and cause incidents in his first ever year in F1. Then in 08 he was a target for the stewards.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

I haven't read most of this thread, but I think the sole reason of their being a topic about why Verstappen will NOT win [the championship] in 2020 is precisely why he might. Because people perceive him as a threat [to presumably Lewis] and I think rightly so.

If or if he doesn't win, largely depends on how the season develops. If the car is right, who knows, he might win comfortably and dominantly. At least, one can assume he will not have any pressure inside his team or from his team mate. Looking at Lewis, he might, depending on how strong Bottas starts. Lewis also has contract negotiations in the mix and perhaps other (political) distractions.

I wouldn't also discount Ferrari and both drivers there, though to some degree, they too have two ambitious drivers who might not always play nice and cause distractions.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Jolle

Wynters wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 01:43
Jolle wrote:
Such is the narrative the media demands (it's so depressing that one of the most technically challenging and interesting sports is reduced to WWE/Reality TV 'storylines'). Interesting that they've chosen the Red Bull over Ferrari though*.

*I mean that purely in the sense that Ferrari is so intrinsic to F1 it should have better name recognition, not that the Ferrari is/isn't the fastest option.
I guess Verstappen is the logical choice for a marketing team, RedBull have invested much more PR in him then Philip Morris did in Leclerc at the moment and Vettel of course is more or less out of the picture.

Nothing to do with speed, pure marketing.

Schuttelberg

This is a very bizarre topic. I follow a few sports and I've seen a few topics as to why certain sports people didn't win a concluded event but it's really pre mature and perhaps even silly to make such outlandish claims.

I've seen such claims being made about Hamilton after 2011 when he was clearly a bit down and troubled. People had sworn after 2012 that Vettel had kahuna's of steel and would never crash or crack in a pressure situation.

This is SPORT! It's not a script that people follow. Humans grow, evolve, feel troubled and lose confidence and then some even reinvigorate their old spirit to win again. This is not a movie and it's definitely not robots programmed to do as entered.

If, Hamilton has the best car, he will win. If Verstappen has it, he will. If, the two cars and teams are close, it's really anyone's game. It will depend on their form then and which team/driver combination makes lesser errors. It's pretty much as simple as that.

To claim that history will determine what happens would have meant Schumacher would have won ten titles after he came back. It doesn't work like that.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Wouter

Schuttelberg wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 15:49
This is a very bizarre topic.

If, Hamilton has the best car, he will win. If Verstappen has it, he will.
If, the two cars and teams are close, it's really anyone's game.
It will depend on their form then and which team/driver combination makes lesser errors.
It's pretty much as simple as that.
Exactly! Well said! =D> =D> =D>

"Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020." #-o
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Schuttelberg wrote:
To claim that history will determine what happens would have meant Schumacher would have won ten titles after he came back. It doesn't work like that.
Well, I have to say I disagree with you, as I've been a high level athlete and some things like personality traits never change. One of the things I was good at was determining and then exploiting my opponents weaknesses. Imo Max's weakness is he is overly aggressive (reference the video I posted above), and shows signs of arrogance/entitlement.

Here is about as current of an example as you can get. His arrogance shows through in the interview, even though it's clearly not to his benefit. To put it another way he simply can't help himself, it's who he is.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14680 ... g-incident
When asked after qualifying about the incident, Verstappen said: "I was aware that Valtteri crashed."

When pushed further on if he had backed off, Verstappen said: "It didn't really look like it did it? No."

Verstappen was also defiant about keeping his foot in for the incident.

"I think we know what we are doing, otherwise we wouldn't be driving an F1 car," he said.

"It's qualifying and you go for it. If they want to delete the lap, then delete the lap."
197 104 103 7

Jolle

dans79 wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 16:44
Schuttelberg wrote:
Well, I have to say I disagree with you, as I've been a high level athlete and some things like personality traits never change. One of the things I was good at was determining and then exploiting my opponents weaknesses. Imo Max's weakness is he is overly aggressive (reference the video I posted above), and shows signs of arrogance/entitlement.

Here is about as current of an example as you can get. His arrogance shows through in the interview, even though it's clearly not to his benefit. To put it another way he simply can't help himself, it's who he is.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/14680 ... g-incident
When asked after qualifying about the incident, Verstappen said: "I was aware that Valtteri crashed."

When pushed further on if he had backed off, Verstappen said: "It didn't really look like it did it? No."

Verstappen was also defiant about keeping his foot in for the incident.

"I think we know what we are doing, otherwise we wouldn't be driving an F1 car," he said.

"It's qualifying and you go for it. If they want to delete the lap, then delete the lap."
At least he’s honest 😂 (and doesn’t start shovelling boards around, yes I’m talking about Vettel 😂😂)