[MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Post here information about your own engineering projects, including but not limited to building your own car or designing a virtual car through CAD.
LVDH

Re: [MVRC] Mantium Virtual Racecar Challenge 2020 (Grand Prix Cars)

Small update:
I just prepared most cars.
TF actually looks pretty impressive but as he asked for a penalty, I guess there is no money to be wasted on him.
From the submitted lap times, it looks like everyone is striving for a 68.5 or slightly worse, with only Koldskaal and Variante aiming for victory. Variante has a pretty crazy looking diffuser. With him, we always have to ask ourselves if he is genius or crazy.
I am aiming to release the car images this weekend, the big homepage update with all the results of the first two races will only come after the next race results, which with some bad luck could take a bit longer this time.
JJR asked for an extension and just submitted his car. If he gets his balance right, he should also be a powerhouse to recon with.
As always, I am impressed with how different you all design your cars. Either you are too proud to copy or it is simply too difficult. Any any case, it is just great to see how the cars progress.

Joe7218

LVDH wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 20:40
Congratulations to Team Logozzo. They uploaded every part as a single file to Dropbox. Lets see how Richard can convince me to not find a good reason for a penalty, what a master move...
I'm so sorry #-o

It wouldn't let me upload a folder so I thought we had to upload them individually :(.

Sorry again!

LVDH

Joe7218 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 00:32
LVDH wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 20:40
Congratulations to Team Logozzo. They uploaded every part as a single file to Dropbox. Lets see how Richard can convince me to not find a good reason for a penalty, what a master move...
I'm so sorry #-o

It wouldn't let me upload a folder so I thought we had to upload them individually :(.

Sorry again!
Next time, just zip up the folder, then it is only one file.

JJR
JJR

I spend all time with too much experimenting and at the end nothing work as I expected.
I have done just small adjustment to rear wing to shift ballance to the rear. So I don ´t think I will improve because I added small amount of downforce but efficienty come down.
Let ´s see how Variante hyper F1car work .

Good luck to everyone.

jjn9128

JJR wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 09:30
I spend all time with too much experimenting and at the end nothing work as I expected.
I have done just small adjustment to rear wing to shift ballance to the rear. So I don ´t think I will improve because I added small amount of downforce but efficienty come down.
Let ´s see how Variante hyper F1car work .

Good luck to everyone.
I might get closer to him next time as I found some df and efficiency in a run completed the day after the submission #-o but I think he's just too good.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

Koldskaal

Here is something for you all to look at.
Please accept my entry to the preview-render-championship :D :
I have done a lot of work on the front wing, most of it turned out to be dead ends. I had an idea that a high inboard loaded wing would work better since it would be less interupted by the front wheel. The front wing itself was a lot better than the one you see above, but it wouldn't vibe with the rest of the car. So this is what I have settled on, for now...

I have "spooned" the rear wing, for a bit more efficiency. And done a bit of work on the floor - bargeboard interaction.
Overall my numbers indicate that I have found a few of tenths over the monaco spec.
MVRC - Koldskaal, name: Christian

variante

Koldskaal wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 15:15
The front wing itself was a lot better than the one you see above, but it wouldn't vibe with the rest of the car. So this is what I have settled on, for now...
Well, it looks like a nicely developed wing! And yes, i don't know how CAEdevice manages to get that much load on the rear axle despite his front wing... when i tried it, efficiency went up a lot, but the rear wing essentially stopped working.
Anyway, my car is the same as Monaco and hopefully you haven't managed to gain too many tenths...
So, based on what my intelligence agents gathered, my prediction is:
1 - Variante
2 - Koldskaal
3 - CAEdevice
4 - AGR
5 - JJR
With everyone being much closer to each other even compared to the last race.

LVDH wrote:
23 Jun 2020, 21:53
As always, I am impressed with how different you all design your cars. Either you are too proud to copy or it is simply too difficult. Any any case, it is just great to see how the cars progress.
I am too. CAEdevice even released the CAD of his car, and yet almost no one followed him.
Pride surely has an impact: a few years back i tried TF's car layout (front radiators) and it worked better than mine, but i thought twice before using it. Ultimately, i developed original solutions over that layout, so i was ok with my ego.

CAEdevice

variante wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 17:11
Koldskaal wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 15:15
The front wing itself was a lot better than the one you see above, but it wouldn't vibe with the rest of the car. So this is what I have settled on, for now...
Well, it looks like a nicely developed wing! And yes, i don't know how CAEdevice manages to get that much load on the rear axle despite his front wing... when i tried it, efficiency went up a lot, but the rear wing essentially stopped working.
Anyway, my car is the same as Monaco and hopefully you haven't managed to gain too many tenths...
So, based on what my intelligence agents gathered, my prediction is:
1 - Variante
2 - Koldskaal
3 - CAEdevice
4 - AGR
5 - JJR
With everyone being much closer to each other even compared to the last race.

LVDH wrote:
I am too. CAEdevice even released the CAD of his car, and yet almost no one followed him.
Pride surely has an impact: a few years back i tried TF's car layout (front radiators) and it worked better than mine, but i thought twice before using it. Ultimately, i developed original solutions over that layout, so i was ok with my ego.
Not "despite" but thanks to the front wing. Actually my weak point seems to be the diffuser 2020, the central section does not work correctly.

wb92

Hi All!

It has been a while, but I'm following the thread from time to time :)
Plenty of interesting topics going on here, so I can't just step out completely.

Even though I decided to not compete for this year, but the car was (and still is) there. I've found a while to actually share some renders of "20 car. Paint was supposed to be with fancy colors I asked for during registrations, but with white more details can be seen. Here we go:

Honestly speaking I had completely different approach at the very beginning to get rid of problems from "19 car and make it better... "20 of course got rid of them, but produced much more new :) therefore I went back to "19 parts to understand what and where things went wrong.

Some fun facts about the car:
- Main front wing flaps are build in the way that there's around 500 variables to play with (compared to around 300 on "19 car) and on top of that FW endplates, cascades and cuts come into play
- The rear wing flaps have less variables, but still each flap is built with 4 airfoils
- Every single part of the car itself seems to work better and is built in more efficient way in CAD...
- ...but the car doesn't work as supposed together (and now complaining part :P )
- One of the main issue comes from FW wake, which hits the RW (but was not really supposed to)
- I was struggling a lot to bring the floor performance to the proper level
- The rake is still weird topic as 0,6 degree is the most efficient for this car
- Most of the base surfaces use "zero-size" approach, which also got hit me by recoil in some areas
- There were some crazy ideas for cooling system and floor tested, but no response in numbers was very suspicious...

For sure the car got over-complicated, also with some meshing restrictions seems like it got eaten by itself, yet many lessons learned :)

Just to mention that I still have some cool solutions in my head, however they were meant to be applied to the "ground-effect" regs, so... Let's see what future will bring!

Meanwhile: Good luck for everyone with this race, and next ones!
MVRC - WBRacing

MaccaRacing

wb92 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 18:24
Hi All!

It has been a while, but I'm following the thread from time to time :)
Plenty of interesting topics going on here, so I can't just step out completely.

Even though I decided to not compete for this year, but the car was (and still is) there. I've found a while to actually share some renders of "20 car. Paint was supposed to be with fancy colors I asked for during registrations, but with white more details can be seen. Here we go:

https://ibb.co/Rzq1MbP
https://ibb.co/QjLMyVf
https://ibb.co/zJMxfRD
https://ibb.co/2ZZL81Z

Honestly speaking I had completely different approach at the very beginning to get rid of problems from "19 car and make it better... "20 of course got rid of them, but produced much more new :) therefore I went back to "19 parts to understand what and where things went wrong.

Some fun facts about the car:
- Main front wing flaps are build in the way that there's around 500 variables to play with (compared to around 300 on "19 car) and on top of that FW endplates, cascades and cuts come into play
- The rear wing flaps have less variables, but still each flap is built with 4 airfoils
- Every single part of the car itself seems to work better and is built in more efficient way in CAD...
- ...but the car doesn't work as supposed together (and now complaining part :P )
- One of the main issue comes from FW wake, which hits the RW (but was not really supposed to)
- I was struggling a lot to bring the floor performance to the proper level
- The rake is still weird topic as 0,6 degree is the most efficient for this car
- Most of the base surfaces use "zero-size" approach, which also got hit me by recoil in some areas
- There were some crazy ideas for cooling system and floor tested, but no response in numbers was very suspicious...

For sure the car got over-complicated, also with some meshing restrictions seems like it got eaten by itself, yet many lessons learned :)

Just to mention that I still have some cool solutions in my head, however they were meant to be applied to the "ground-effect" regs, so... Let's see what future will bring!

Meanwhile: Good luck for everyone with this race, and next ones!
Congratulations! What a beautiful modelling! Maybe you are right, it is too over complicated for this championship, but still it is very beautiful!

variante

Nice car, as usual.
wb92 wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 18:24
I had a look at the race numbers, and your front wing has indeed the upper hand over the rear one. Unloading it could solve you a few problems, in case you want to come back...

machin

LVDH wrote:
As always, I am impressed with how different you all design your cars. Either you are too proud to copy....
Scrutineering is almost complete.. interestingly there is one feature that some of the teams seem to have copied from previous cars.... but without paying attention to the rules.... hint: it is related to the rear wing....
COMPETITION CAR ENGINEERING -Home of VIRTUAL STOPWATCH

CAEdevice

machin wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 23:58
LVDH wrote:
As always, I am impressed with how different you all design your cars. Either you are too proud to copy....
Scrutineering is almost complete.. interestingly there is one feature that some of the teams seem to have copied from previous cars.... but without paying attention to the rules.... hint: it is related to the rear wing....
Maybe rear wing pillar/pillars? (10.1)

LVDH

So, I found the time to prepare the renders. Here you go:
https://mantiumchallenge.com/cars-mvrc-austria-2020/

MaccaRacing

Seems like CAEdevice has the diffuser strakes detached by the main diffuser... Am I wrong?