Looks like we're racing Mugello in 2020

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
godlameroso

Looks like we're racing Mugello in 2020

Saishū kōnā

MtthsMlw

Re: Looks like we're racing Mugello in 2020

So how will this one be named?

TimW

I'd like that, I would welcome if more non regular circuits join the calendar.

ENGINE TUNER

It will be a procession worse than Australia

godlameroso

How? There isn't any chicane at the end of the DRS straight, so overtaking is possible. It's all about setting up the final corner. Maybe you think that it's impossible to follow in a high speed track. I'd say that a lot of the high speed corners, following is not an issue, because the corners are long. In long high speed corners the outwash goes towards the outside of the turn, the following car can avoid the downforce robbing outwash by staying slightly closer to the apex than the leading car.

Of course, easier said than done, but if passing is too easy then it's also boring. You have to admit that it's more exciting to see a driver try to create something out of nothing, than to just see them whiz by. Also, consider the speed of the cars onto the main straight, that's a long straight and the cars are going well over 250kph passing the rumble strip on corner exit. Meaning slipstream plays a big factor, especially combined with DRS.

I think overtaking in Mugello is easier than overtaking in Imola because Imola's straights end in chicanes.
Saishū kōnā

cooken

Jury is out on overtaking until we actually see them go around...but I'm inclined to agree the length of straight and preceding corner seem like a good setup. The left and right before the last long left handed will also probably be flat out.

Regardless, should be very exciting to see modern F1 cars around there, qualy laps should be a treat.

godlameroso

Qualifying will be in the 14's.
Saishū kōnā

Ringleheim

Not a lot of passing opportunities for F1 cars on this track, but it's still a great track in a great location.

Call it the Tuscan Grand Prix.

Ringleheim

cooken wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 17:32
Jury is out on overtaking until we actually see them go around...but I'm inclined to agree the length of straight and preceding corner seem like a good setup. The left and right before the last long left handed will also probably be flat out.

Regardless, should be very exciting to see modern F1 cars around there, qualy laps should be a treat.
It's going to be like watching Hungaroring.

Only passing area I see is Turn 1. And that may not be possible either if a trailing car can't stay close to the leading car in the long left hander leading onto the straight.

I guess DRS will help solve that problem.

I wish they'd get rid of DRS and all the aero crap...a place like Mugello would be fantastic for simpler cars with little to no aero dependence.

godlameroso

The final corner has ample banking, and different lines are possible.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

Ringleheim wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 18:30

I wish they'd get rid of DRS and all the aero crap...a place like Mugello would be fantastic for simpler cars with little to no aero dependence.
They already have cars like that. They're called saloons. Or if it must be open wheeled, how about Formula Vee? :roll:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cooken

Yes, and the minimum corner speed in T1 might be high enough that the braking zone isn't all that long. Again though, it will be fun watching to find out in my opinion.

Mugello is indeed a fantastic place for the many non aero dependent series that do race there on a regular basis. I don't care for DRS either but aero dependence is not going anywhere.

Just_a_fan

Mugello will be a procession. The start will be the deciding factor, get in to T1 first and you've won unless you drop the ball.

T1 is long and fast so no out braking to be done there, the last turn is also long and fast, meaning understeer will kill a following car.

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
27 Jun 2020, 16:28
In long high speed corners the outwash goes towards the outside of the turn, the following car can avoid the downforce robbing outwash by staying slightly closer to the apex than the leading car.
Except the half of the wake that is out washed towards the inside, of course.

PlatinumZealot

The track looks extremely tight in the ferrari test videos. Expecting litte or no overtaking.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏