Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jolle

Re: Why Verstappen will NOT win in 2020

With such consistency in reliability of the Mercs, a single DNF for engine trouble could loose a title. Just look at 2016.

NathanOlder

Will the season be that short though. We have 8 confirmed, likely Mugello, Portimoa maybe even Imola added. then the fly away races, China Russia Bahrain all may have a double. Abu Dhabi will have 1. USA still possible. If those all happen, then thats 19 races. even if we had 16, its hardly a short season. That was a full season when Hakkinen was racing.

Edit. It was only 2003 when there were as little as 16 races.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

PlatinumZealot

I realisw too that clear number 2 drivers must be decided earlier and in this Max has an advantage.

Albon can easily crash out one of the Mercedes and even if found guilty, he and RedBull will be penalised but not Max.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

raymondu999

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
28 Jun 2020, 20:06
Mika Hakkinen sees the short season not playing into Max's favour too. Why he give Bottas a "clean chance" at beating Lewis this year.
The Mercedes-spec Lewis has been an amazing driver. Having a team fully embrace him, a car he usually does not have to worry about transcending, has supercharged him similar to the way the 2010-2013 Vettel was supercharged by Red Bull, after a fashion. I am not a fan of Lewis, but anyone would be daft not to acknowledge his stellar driving in the hybrid era.

It's why Rosberg, despite being Hamilton's teammate in their early years, has only felt the need to push so hard in 2016, harder than he did in their formative years. The longer a season stretches, obviously the more that strains a driver's stamina. A protracted season just means challengers need to maintain that high for a shorter amount of time - and that will obviously be easier than usual for someone to maintain a season-long charge vs the Lewis we have come to expect
ε€±θ΄₯θ€…ζ‰Ύη†η”±οΌŒζˆεŠŸθ€…ζ‰Ύζ–Ήζ³•

Dee
Dee

29 Jun 2020, 01:25
I realisw too that clear number 2 drivers must be decided earlier and in this Max has an advantage.

Albon can easily crash out one of the Mercedes and even if found guilty, he and RedBull will be penalised but not Max.
It's ok to explain why he might not win, it's not ok to say that if he does win, it's going to be by a malicious action of the team....

Max is at a major disadvantage with his teammate, he already lost a race last year because of it. Albon was a second off race pace and 0.495 off in qualy. He is also going to be in his second year. Alex will have to drive out of his skin to be of any help to Verstappen in a tight title race

Juzh

Dee wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2020, 08:53

It's ok to explain why he might not win, it's not ok to say that if he does win, it's going to be by a malicious action of the team....

Max is at a major disadvantage with his teammate, he already lost a race last year because of it. Albon was a second off race pace and 0.495 off in qualy. He is also going to be in his second year. Alex will have to drive out of his skin to be of any help to Verstappen in a tight title race
Albon has no chance against verstappen. Zero. He's more or less level with gasly on outright pace (slow) but at least he's a lot more agressive in races. Still, it won't be enough to help verstappen, far from it. RB's stubbornes on only hiring their own drivers will bite them hard this year.

Wouter

Juzh wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2020, 15:34
Albon has no chance against verstappen. Zero. He's more or less level with gasly on outright pace (slow) but at least he's a lot more agressive in races. Still, it won't be enough to help verstappen, far from it. RB's stubbornes on only hiring their own drivers will bite them hard this year.
Do you have a crystal ball? How do you know if Max Verstappen needs a helper?
Do you already know how the car is?
Perhaps the Honda engine is the fastest of them all, and they finally have a faster car
than Mercedes and Ferrari. Nobody knows that, all that remains to be seen.
Leclerc also seems to me someone who doesn't need a second driver to win.
The Power of Dreams!

Dee
Dee

Juzh wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2020, 15:34
29 Jun 2020, 08:53

I have a feeling that the car last year was just really difficult to drive. Bad cars widen teammates if one driver can adapt better, good cars get them closer to each other. If RB have made a good car this year I expect Alex to be a lot closer in qualifying and a bit closer in race pace. Definitely can attack and defend very well which is good. He also won more races than Charles did when they were teammates and Alex got 3 poles to Charles's 4 so he is a fast driver, he just needs time to get used to the car and the circuits.

PlatinumZealot

Albon out qualified Max in Suzuka of all places lest we forget. So Albon does have potential not that it would matter this year anyway. RedBulls goal is to win with Max this year for obvious reasons, which I also agree with.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

dans79

29 Jun 2020, 16:22
Albon out qualified Max in Suzuka of all places lest we forget. So Albon does have potential not that it would matter this year anyway. RedBulls goal is to win with Max this year for obvious reasons, which I also agree with.
It would be hilarious if Albon out scored Max!
197 104 103 7

Dee
Dee

He didn't outqualify Max in Suzuka, they both had the exact same time which was brilliant from Albon. They had different setups, Max had more downforce, Alex had less downforce on the car

epo
epo

Just remove the NOT, he will win sorry for your loss, Hamilton to busy with BLM stuff, no competition from Ferrari so bye bye Mercedes.

Racer X

epo wrote: ↑
29 Jun 2020, 19:51
Just remove the NOT, he will win sorry for your loss, Hamilton to busy with BLM stuff, no competition from Ferrari so bye bye Mercedes.

Well we dont know how competitive Ferrari is. I think Ferrari is down playing their competitiveness this year because every year past they always hyped themselves up so much that when the dust settled they under-performed that i think this year its why they are down-playing themselves. This year might be their year :D :lol: but i doubt BLM is going to affect Hamilton you dont reach 6 world Championships and then lose focus so easily. DAS is still a factor this season in favor of the Mercs.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

godlameroso

29 Jun 2020, 17:20
He didn't outqualify Max in Suzuka, they both had the exact same time which was brilliant from Albon. They had different setups, Max had more downforce, Alex had less downforce on the car
Verstappen made a mistake on his qualifying lap, and wasn't able to do another. He had more time in the car.
Saishū kōnā

Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote: ↑
30 Jun 2020, 22:43
29 Jun 2020, 17:20
Verstappen made a mistake on his qualifying lap, and wasn't able to do another. He had more time in the car.
Making a mistake isn't really an excuse, is it? On the day, his team mate matched his time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.