Hi everyone, back again with the last part of issue 17. This week I'll be covering stage 60, assembling the wastegates.
Parts supplied with this stage were: left and right wastegate rear cooling pipes (1 & 4), left wastegate front (2), right wastegate front (3), Turbo charger left and right parts respectively (5 &
, Wastegate right (6) & wastegate left (7).
Parts needed from previous stages were:
- Header tank (Stage 53)
- Plenum chamber (Stage 54)
- Oil/water heat exchanger (Stage 55)
- Sprue of plastic parts (Stage 57)
- Engine block assembly (Stage 59)
Firstly, 60.1: assembling the left and right wastegates. First up, the left wastegate rear, one of the rear cooling pipes and the left wastegate front. The paint was scraped away from the relevant surfaces, and the waste gate front and rear were glued together with the cooling pipe in the middle being left free to rotate. It was too fiddly to get intermittent photos.
And repeated for the right, the little stub on the right waste gate (confusingly pictured on the left, oops lol) has been left on just so I can distinguish them.
Next, 60.2: attaching the oil/water heat exchanger to the engine block. This was simply glued into place.
Next, 60.3: fitting the check valve and water inlet pump pipe. These were first removed from the sprue.
The check valve was then glued onto the header tank. Care was taken to get it as perpendicular to the header tank as possible.
Next, the water inlet pump pipe was glued to the header tank. This had to be done in a specific orientation which I managed quite well, see the reference photo below.
Finally, 60.4: fitting the throttle body sensors and oil filter joints to the plenum chamber and engine block.
The left and right throttle sensors and oil filter joints were cut from the sprue, and the first throttle body was glued to the plenum chamber, this was reasonably fiddly but no more so than some of the other small parts so far. Care was taken to ensure the correct side throttle sensor was glued to the correct side of the plenum chamber.
And repeated for the other side.
Next the oil filter joints were glued to the engine block, these were very small and didn't really fit on the pins very well.
And the other side:
And that's it for this week. I've got this months issue already assembled so will try and post that some evening this week. I know up to now it's seemed like it's all been pretty smooth sailing, bit of gluing here, bit of paint scraping there but ohh boy does it all go t*ts up in this months issue. Like jesus christ get ready for the sh*t show ladies and gents
. As usual if there's anything else you want to see in more detail just let me know.
Thanks for reading,