Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Mercedes W11

Anyone remeber DAS?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 19:14
Anyone remeber DAS?
Does anyone remember laughter?

(I couldn't resist.)

Will be interesting to see if it makes its debut in Austria. After watching that Allison video, I'm very interested in seeing how much development has gone on. With Merc changing to the high-top sidepod inlet this year, they will have unquestionably unlocked more scope for change both in both the bargeboard section and rear section of the car.

The rear suspension on this car is something I'm very keen on seeing again soon, too.

On a side note, will there still be the same amount of pit lane photography going on this year? Would be a shame to lose out on all the spy shots due to the pandemic.

Wynters

zibby43 wrote:
21 Jun 2020, 22:36
On a side note, will there still be the same amount of pit lane photography going on this year? Would be a shame to lose out on all the spy shots due to the pandemic.
Liberty need press coverage and the media need content to stay in business. I strongly suspect there will be at least a limited press attendance and they are likely to be the best people (and those working for rich corporations) so we shouldn't lose much in the way of external insight.

PlatinumZealot

zibby43 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Anyone remeber DAS?

(I couldn't resist.)

Will be interesting to see if it makes its debut in Austria. After watching that Allison video, I'm very interested in seeing how much development has gone on. With Merc changing to the high-top sidepod inlet this year, they will have unquestionably unlocked more scope for change both in both the bargeboard section and rear section of the car.

The rear suspension on this car is something I'm very keen on seeing again soon, too.

Social distancing should bring clearer shots of the car.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

Wynters wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 00:49
zibby43 wrote:
Liberty need press coverage and the media need content to stay in business. I strongly suspect there will be at least a limited press attendance and they are likely to be the best people (and those working for rich corporations) so we shouldn't lose much in the way of external insight.
Good point. Makes sense.

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
22 Jun 2020, 01:12
zibby43 wrote:
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Anyone remeber DAS?

(I couldn't resist.)

Social distancing should bring clearer shots of the car.
Yeah, I just hope folks like Albert Fabrega (one of the best at spotting upgrades and sharing them on social media) are given the same access as before, and not kept further away from the scrutineering process in the name of social distancing.

ajprice

The black painted W11 then, a weight benefit over metallic silver?
https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/53218197

Mattchu

ajprice wrote:
29 Jun 2020, 16:55
The black painted W11 then, a weight benefit over metallic silver?
https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/1024/cpsp ... des_f1.jpg
https://www.bbc.com/sport/amp/formula1/53218197
Weight benefit...very unlikely, sexy as hell...most certainly in my eyes :)

PlatinumZealot

Tiny weight benefit. The fashion these days is to only colour the top half of the car and leave the bottom in balck to save weight so this us one step further!

Other recent black cars didnt look as good as this one did they?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ENGINE TUNER

A black chrome would have been epic, but this is nice

hollus

Livery talk is better suited for the team thread.
Rivals, not enemies.

maxxer

And in the team thread there is a post about a livery thread now haha

erudite450

zibby43, finally we are going racing. What do you reckon the pace will be like this weekend? I hope Mercedes shuts everyone up. I'm getting sick of the constant chatter about the Redbull Ring and Hungaroring favouring Verstappen-Redbull package over the last few weeks. Frankly, I hope Mercedes send them to the cleaners.

El Scorchio

The car looks great. Looking forward to also seeing what upgrades Merc and the other teams have all brought along.

zibby43

erudite450 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 16:22
zibby43, finally we are going racing. What do you reckon the pace will be like this weekend? I hope Mercedes shuts everyone up. I'm getting sick of the constant chatter about the Redbull Ring and Hungaroring favouring Verstappen-Redbull package over the last few weeks. Frankly, I hope Mercedes send them to the cleaners.
It’s race week! It’s been such a surreal wait for the season start, but so happy for all the teams (and us fans) that there’s something to look forward to again amidst all the madness and tragedy.

I think RBR has a chance to be very strong. They’re usually slow starters to the season, but with the delayed start, maybe they’ve gotten that out of their system. They’re also typically strong in Austria, but that’s mostly because Merc have dropped the ball reliability-wise in Austria in ‘18 (double DNF - hydraulics) and ‘19 (the overheating lift and coast race).

Marko reckons Merc are “slightly ahead.” He also said Merc was the 3rd-best car after ‘18 pre-season testing. If there’s anything I’ve learned in the hybrid era, it’s never doubt Merc’s ability to unleash a little shock and awe at the first race of the season.