[ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
lio007

Re: McLaren MCL35

Ground Effect wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:06
Were McLaren given “extra” development tokens to accommodate the switch to the Mercedes PU, or do the have to take care of that from their standard allocation?
They did not get any extra Token

Jolle

Re: [ 2020 ] Mclaren F1 Team - Renault

Emag wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 18:45
bauc wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 15:54
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclaren- ... ing-boost/

McLaren won’t resume big projects yet (wind tunnel ect...) despite funding boost
Understandable but this might mean Mclaren ability to fight with the big 3 will still be far away even in 2-3 years
Notice how it says "yet". This is very smart in my opinion. Not ideal, but understandable.

The situation right now is very unpredictable. Nobody knows what might happen later. Things may return back to normal, or the long lasting consequences of the pandemic may turn out to be much more "devastating" for the world. There's also the chance of covid having a second wave of infections. It probably won't happen, but it still needs to be considered, along with all the other negative effects.

It would be unwise for McLaren to use a big portion of their newly acquired finances for projects that do nearly nothing to help the business recover. Yeah sure, if the situation gets better, then the automotive business will start selling cars to make some money. But what happens if the situation gets worse and they spend a good deal of the money they currently have to advance the Wind Tunnel project?

They will be stuck on a nasty situation. As I said the wind tunnel does not generate income for the business to survive. It will only bring money implicitly if it helps the Formula 1 team to finish higher up in the standings (hence more bonus money from FIA). But until that time it's completely useless for the business.

It is wise to wait and judge the situation before committing borrowed money on big projects that do not guarantee a return of investment in the short term view. They will only start doing that when they are absolutely sure that the business is safe in terms of finances for the foreseeable future.
The loan was to pay for short term creditors (so, basically, bills that needed to be paid). They still need around 200 million pounds within the next month to refinance another loan.

They, at this point, simply don’t have the credit to do large investments.

These large refinancing actions are something quite common, so nothing really to be worried about, until of course, the company value drops below a certain point and refinancing becomes so expensive that you can’t pay it off. Like what happened to Gibson Guitars last year.

Safe-ish, but certainly not out of the woods.

Racer X

lio007 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:39
Ground Effect wrote:
Were McLaren given “extra” development tokens to accommodate the switch to the Mercedes PU, or do the have to take care of that from their standard allocation?
Not only did McLaren get NO extra tokens but they are using their tokens only to accommodate the new PU in a way that does NOT give them a performance gain.
McLaren has a difficult development time ahead of them compared to their rivals.
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

mwillems

Racer X wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 22:40
lio007 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:39
Ground Effect wrote:
Not only did McLaren get NO extra tokens but they are using their tokens only to accommodate the new PU in a way that does NOT give them a performance gain.
McLaren has a difficult development time ahead of them compared to their rivals.
Didn't they get leeway to alter the chassis?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/mclar ... e-f1-news/
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Racer X

mwillems wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 23:10
Didn't they get leeway to alter the chassis?

https://www.essentiallysports.com/mclar ... e-f1-news/
Dude i have no idea exactly i just know they have *a* shitty token situation.

From what i have heard I think nobody has the ability to alter the Chassis.
McLaren is the only team allowed to make changes to the Chassy.
At the cost of all their tokens being taken away from them...

MY opinion is that McLaren should be allowed to make changes to their chassy because they are changing PU.
for safety reasons obviously the car has to be structurally sound because of the dimension changes of a new PU.
BUT since they are not being allowed to make any type of performance gains....
Then they should *NOT* have to lose any of their tokens its not like they are going to
make any gains with the changes to their Chassy. I mean if the FIA is going to make
sure they get no performance gains. Then why not allow them to keep all their tokens.

But i guess some one determined this would be fair since no other team can play with the chassis....
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

adrianjordan

Jolle wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 19:42
Emag wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 18:45
bauc wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 15:54
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mclaren- ... ing-boost/

McLaren won’t resume big projects yet (wind tunnel ect...) despite funding boost
Understandable but this might mean Mclaren ability to fight with the big 3 will still be far away even in 2-3 years
Notice how it says "yet". This is very smart in my opinion. Not ideal, but understandable.

The situation right now is very unpredictable. Nobody knows what might happen later. Things may return back to normal, or the long lasting consequences of the pandemic may turn out to be much more "devastating" for the world. There's also the chance of covid having a second wave of infections. It probably won't happen, but it still needs to be considered, along with all the other negative effects.

It would be unwise for McLaren to use a big portion of their newly acquired finances for projects that do nearly nothing to help the business recover. Yeah sure, if the situation gets better, then the automotive business will start selling cars to make some money. But what happens if the situation gets worse and they spend a good deal of the money they currently have to advance the Wind Tunnel project?

They will be stuck on a nasty situation. As I said the wind tunnel does not generate income for the business to survive. It will only bring money implicitly if it helps the Formula 1 team to finish higher up in the standings (hence more bonus money from FIA). But until that time it's completely useless for the business.

It is wise to wait and judge the situation before committing borrowed money on big projects that do not guarantee a return of investment in the short term view. They will only start doing that when they are absolutely sure that the business is safe in terms of finances for the foreseeable future.
The loan was to pay for short term creditors (so, basically, bills that needed to be paid). They still need around 200 million pounds within the next month to refinance another loan.

They, at this point, simply don’t have the credit to do large investments.

These large refinancing actions are something quite common, so nothing really to be worried about, until of course, the company value drops below a certain point and refinancing becomes so expensive that you can’t pay it off. Like what happened to Gibson Guitars last year.

Safe-ish, but certainly not out of the woods.
Until McLaren starts fitting Robot tuners and brass zero-fret nuts on their cars I think they'll be fine 😂
Favourite driver: Lando Norris
Favourite team: McLaren

Turned down the chance to meet Vettel at Silverstone in 2007. He was a test driver at the time and I didn't think it was worth queuing!! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Jackles-UK

I had understood it that McLaren will be allowed to make adaptation changes to their chassis to allow them to properly homologate the new engine but that the FIA will be involved in making sure they don’t make wholesale, major changes.

All irrelevant just now though as the Mercedes PU switch won’t affect the team until the MCL36.

ThePapayaJaguar

Off topic, but I would really love to see the drivers in the classic McLaren Gulf overalls. The closer to this, the better in my opinion!

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1992/ ... 7733885129

mclaren111

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-moto ... 20measure.

They are allowed to make chassis changes - limited though...

Blackout

The FIA has divided the monocoque in two halves, separated by the B-B section, and each half costs 2 tokens. So Everybody can modify its monocoque, but must make a choice, the front or the rear... So Mclaren can change everything on the monocoque that is behind the B-B line. https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/proxy ... rmEbRg8HCM
(from page 98 and onwards) : https://www.fia.com/sites/default/files ... 6-19_1.pdf
IMO they need to change the fuel cell shape too, the bag, theoretically, if they want a good integration, but they can't, it costs one other token :-k it will be a challenge

ThePapayaJaguar

New bargeboards?!

genarro

Does anyone know if the McLaren Group recovered some of the lost supercar sales? there was an information of them shifting only 300 cars during March and April. How about May and June?

McFAN

genarro wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 11:44
Does anyone know if the McLaren Group recovered some of the lost supercar sales? there was an information of them shifting only 300 cars during March and April. How about May and June?
From Sky news.

" Sky News revealed in April that McLaren had approached the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) with the funding request after seeing sales of its supercars evaporate.

Orders are said to have rebounded strongly in recent weeks."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus- ... n-12013902

Mansell89

Updated Livery- smart

Last edited by Mansell89 on 01 Jul 2020, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.