Mercedes W11

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mark4211

Re: Mercedes W11

Annotated Wheel Adjustments: Mercedes Race Start Procedures - Testing 2020

https://streamable.com/5avmda

How are Mercedes able to delay the upshift for 3 seconds?
Article 9.8.4 - The maximum permitted delay for the [upshift] is 80ms from the time of the driver request to the original gear being disengaged.

Just_a_fan

Mark4211 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:13

Article 9.8.4 - The maximum permitted delay for the [upshift] is 80ms from the time of the driver request to the original gear being disengaged.
Presumably because it's not an actual up change but a part of the bite point finder programme.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Mark4211

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:24
Mark4211 wrote:

Presumably because it's not an actual up change but a part of the bite point finder programme.
The upshift delay occurs for 2 instances, 1 during BPF execution and 1 more after the BPF for actual launch

Just_a_fan

Mark4211 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:26
Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:24
Mark4211 wrote:

The upshift delay occurs for 2 instances, 1 during BPF execution and 1 more after the BPF for actual launch
But it's still not a real up change, is it? It's part of a clutch/start setting up procedure. So the driver isn't requesting an up change (as mentioned in the regulation you quoted) but carrying out a set up procedure.

Once he's on track, the changes are in accordance with the driver's paddle requests.

Also, one could say that selecting first gear from neutral isn't an up change. It's "putting it in gear". First to second or second to first are " gear changes ". Neutral isn't a gear so in or out of neutral isn't a gear change.

b2bL44

zibby43 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 20:03
erudite450 wrote:
30 Jun 2020, 16:22
zibby43, finally we are going racing. What do you reckon the pace will be like this weekend? I hope Mercedes shuts everyone up. I'm getting sick of the constant chatter about the Redbull Ring and Hungaroring favouring Verstappen-Redbull package over the last few weeks. Frankly, I hope Mercedes send them to the cleaners.
It’s race week! It’s been such a surreal wait for the season start, but so happy for all the teams (and us fans) that there’s something to look forward to again amidst all the madness and tragedy.

I think RBR has a chance to be very strong. They’re usually slow starters to the season, but with the delayed start, maybe they’ve gotten that out of their system. They’re also typically strong in Austria, but that’s mostly because Merc have dropped the ball reliability-wise in Austria in ‘18 (double DNF - hydraulics) and ‘19 (the overheating lift and coast race).

Marko reckons Merc are “slightly ahead.” He also said Merc was the 3rd-best car after ‘18 pre-season testing. If there’s anything I’ve learned in the hybrid era, it’s never doubt Merc’s ability to unleash a little shock and awe at the first race of the season.
Underestimate RBR at your own peril. Mark Hughes has stated that in 2019, dismissing the "not cheating" :roll: Ferrari, the remaining power unit manufacturers had 9hp between them in difference. Yes a user here has told us that Merc has gained more power out of the PU since the start of the hybrid era in 2014, we have yet to see that performance on track. All whilst Honda continued to work away while Mercedes HPP was in lockdown.

I'm expecting a close fight, what's more is that I expect Max to be just as aggressive and we'll get to see how Lewis reacts to that. Gloves off boys!
I like headbuttin’ journos an´ I can not lie.
You otha brothas can´t deny.
That when a journo walks in wit´ some bait an´
A hook right in yo´ face. You get SMACKED.

siskue2005

Mark4211 wrote:
https://twitter.com/AnnotatedWA/status/ ... 0167021569

Brake warmer switch ON? can there be a swtich like that? isnt that iilegal? or is it just a ERS mode?

zibby43

b2bL44 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 05:09
zibby43 wrote:
erudite450 wrote:
zibby43, finally we are going racing. What do you reckon the pace will be like this weekend? I hope Mercedes shuts everyone up. I'm getting sick of the constant chatter about the Redbull Ring and Hungaroring favouring Verstappen-Redbull package over the last few weeks. Frankly, I hope Mercedes send them to the cleaners.
It’s race week! It’s been such a surreal wait for the season start, but so happy for all the teams (and us fans) that there’s something to look forward to again amidst all the madness and tragedy.

I think RBR has a chance to be very strong. They’re usually slow starters to the season, but with the delayed start, maybe they’ve gotten that out of their system. They’re also typically strong in Austria, but that’s mostly because Merc have dropped the ball reliability-wise in Austria in ‘18 (double DNF - hydraulics) and ‘19 (the overheating lift and coast race).

Marko reckons Merc are “slightly ahead.” He also said Merc was the 3rd-best car after ‘18 pre-season testing. If there’s anything I’ve learned in the hybrid era, it’s never doubt Merc’s ability to unleash a little shock and awe at the first race of the season.
Underestimate RBR at your own peril. Mark Hughes has stated that in 2019, dismissing the "not cheating" :roll: Ferrari, the remaining power unit manufacturers had 9hp between them in difference. Yes a user here has told us that Merc has gained more power out of the PU since the start of the hybrid era in 2014, we have yet to see that performance on track. All whilst Honda continued to work away while Mercedes HPP was in lockdown.

I'm expecting a close fight, what's more is that I expect Max to be just as aggressive and we'll get to see how Lewis reacts to that. Gloves off boys!
Merc does get a new fuel for Austria. It's supposed to provide both power and reliability benefits.

At this late stage in PU development, fuels are a huge performance variable, as both Ferrari (with Shell) and RBR (with Exxon) demonstrated on multiple occasions last year.

I think that Brixworth was only shut down for 3 weeks during the down period (as mandated by F1). I know they also produced breathing aid devices. I'm guessing that aside from the mandatory shutdown, the PUs were running on the dynos.

mkay

zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 09:06
b2bL44 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

Merc does get a new fuel for Austria. It's supposed to provide both power and reliability benefits.

At this late stage in PU development, fuels are a huge performance variable, as both Ferrari (with Shell) and RBR (with Exxon) demonstrated on multiple occasions last year.

I think that Brixworth was only shut down for 3 weeks during the down period (as mandated by F1). I know they also produced breathing aid devices. I'm guessing that aside from the mandatory shutdown, the PUs were running on the dynos.
Source for the new fuel? First I've heard of it.

In fact, Mercedes has been pretty mum on upgrades for Austria...

Just_a_fan

siskue2005 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 07:37
Mark4211 wrote:

Brake warmer switch ON? can there be a swtich like that? isnt that iilegal? or is it just a ERS mode?
According to the note on the video, this sets the brake balance to 75% front - which is very, very far forward. The driver's normally only adjust the balance by a few % during a lap, so having a button that does that huge change for them seems sensible, rather than the driver sitting there pressing the + button 25 times, and then the - button 25 times to get it back to normal.

I would guess with the brake balance that far forward, they just ride the pedal gently to get brake temps up without overworking the rear brakes.

Just_a_fan

b2bL44 wrote:

I hope Max doesn't resort to bumper car tactics. Hard, but clean, is what we want. Just chucking it in and saying "let me through or we crash" is not what is needed/wanted. There's no great skill in that, really. Indeed, the skill is in the other guy not getting hit.

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 10:23
siskue2005 wrote:
Mark4211 wrote:

According to the note on the video, this sets the brake balance to 75% front - which is very, very far forward. The driver's normally only adjust the balance by a few % during a lap, so having a button that does that huge change for them seems sensible, rather than the driver sitting there pressing the + button 25 times, and then the - button 25 times to get it back to normal.

I would guess with the brake balance that far forward, they just ride the pedal gently to get brake temps up without overworking the rear brakes.
Ah, ok makes sense now

ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 10:23
siskue2005 wrote:
Mark4211 wrote:

Is there a regulation which specifically bans a line lock type device for the brakes?

basti313

b2bL44 wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
erudite450 wrote:

The problem is: "we have yet to see that performance on track"
Last year the Merc was running with a turned down engine nearly all the time. Otherwise the big reliability and runtime is not explainable. Even in the first half they could run one race more on the engine than the others.
We could see glimpses of the possible power at instances where they were desperate to win like Spa or Monza when chasing Lec. I think we never saw a real party mode in Q last year. Compared to other seasons the Q3 gain by Merc was little.
Don`t russel the hamster!

turbof1

Engine talk in the engine thread please
#AeroFrodo

zibby43

mkay wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 09:55
zibby43 wrote:
01 Jul 2020, 09:06
b2bL44 wrote:

Source for the new fuel? First I've heard of it.

In fact, Mercedes has been pretty mum on upgrades for Austria...
AMuS. Large aero package, too (via AMuS, and confirmed by Allison in recent video by Merc).