Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
enkidu

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

Whats going on with the front suspension though? Looks kinda messy compaired to the Ferrari...

djos

Im amazed at how short the Maclarens wheelbase is! :o
"In downforce we trust"

i70q7m7ghw

Some kind of KERS axel on the front wheels?! Car looks good, a little chubby around the sidepods...

enkidu

Diesel wrote:Some kind of KERS axel on the front wheels?! Car looks good, a little chubby around the sidepods...

It is compaired to the ferrari but whats more aerodynamic? who know's we'll have to see some speed trap data.

timbo

enkidu wrote:Whats going on with the front suspension though? Looks kinda messy compaired to the Ferrari...
They moved steering arm between upper and lower wishbones. They used similar setup in 1998.

i70q7m7ghw

Aah yes, last team to do that was Honda? I don't remember it working too well...

timbo

Diesel wrote:Aah yes, last team to do that was Honda? I don't remember it working too well...
But it DID work well for McLaren in 1998!

shir0

Scotracer wrote:It looks....fat :wtf:
It does look fat....but I'm a'lovin' it!!! =D>

Gawd!!!...that rear wing is gorgeous compared to the F60 and TF109!! They've tried to maintain the look of the MP4-23's rear wing.

Mobil1 and MBHPE might have done a miracle with cooling the engine... I mean, look at how small BOTH of the radiator inlets are! Not just the left inlet, nor just the right but BOTH! Even the engine exhaust ports are buried deep within the body work.

And the airbox inlet IS crazy small...
timbo wrote:They moved steering arm between upper and lower wishbones. They used similar setup in 1998.
I'm a little confused here...okay, okay... I'm really confused here. I'm no expert but how many steering arms should the car have? Please correct me 'coz I really might be wrong but I'm counting two here: one, which is angling downward which is connected to the chassis higher than the upper wishbone; the other one, is the arm right in the middle of the upper and lower wishbones and about dead horizontal from the chassis to the wheel assembly.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

timbo

shir0 wrote:Please correct me 'coz I really might be wrong but I'm counting two here: one, which is angling downward which is connected to the chassis higher than the upper wishbone; the other one, is the arm right in the middle of the upper and lower wishbones and about dead horizontal from the chassis to the wheel assembly.
The angled one is not a steering arm but a push rod that transfers loads to he spring and shock-absorber.
I think you are confused because usually steering arm is integrated to the upper wishbone and is not visible.

shir0

timbo wrote:The angled one is not a steering arm but a push rod that transfers loads to he spring and shock-absorber.
I think you are confused because usually steering arm is integrated to the upper wishbone and is not visible.
Thanks for the slap... :wink: People might already be wondering what the hell I'm doing around here... :lol:
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

timbo

shir0 wrote:Thanks for the slap... :wink: People might already be wondering what the hell I'm doing around here... :lol:
Learning stuff? That's what I do on this place :wink:

Mikacouli

djos wrote:Im amazed at how short the Maclarens wheelbase is! :o
Indeed! The wheelbase is a little bit shorter. I read Ferrari opted for a longer wheelbase... What's the best option you guys think?

I like the McLaren a lot. Especially the intakes and the outlet. Seems fast enough :)

I made a comparison between the mp4-23 and the mp4-24..

EDIT: I just saw a comparison between the f2008 and the f60 and I noticed the wheelbase of the f60 is also shorter compared his predecessor..

Has this changed due the new slicks?
all hopes on the MP4/24

kekekeke

actually the maclaren seems to have a longer wheel base than the ferrari.Image

myurr

I think the shorter wheelbase is related to the switch to more mechanical than aerodynamic grip. Not an expert though so hopefully someone more clued up will fill us in.

WhiteBlue

A longer wheel base should help with high speed stability while it hurts on twisty tracks like Monaco. With the slicks high speed stability should considerably improve and so statistically optimum wheel base should reduce this season.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)