2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
El Scorchio

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Wynters wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:09
El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:07
Red Bull are the masters of strategy in F1. Opportunistic, brave and clever.
I tend to see Red Bull as always rolling the dice rather than being clever. If it works, they win. If it doesn't work, they finish 4th-5th, just like they would've normally. It's a clever thing to do, but it's not clever strategy on the day, as it were.
You could be right. We tend to more remember the occasions where there’s a big win. I do think hands down they are more on the ball than Mercedes and Ferrari though.

Today, Mercedes not stopping for softs was ridiculous, and it cost them the precious one two they sterilised the race halfway through to try and manufacture.

Spacepace

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:51
Mercedes really shout themselves in the foot there.

Very poor calling the race off halfway through which led them into the situation that followed, where they made a string of poor decisions which cost them that 1-2 they arrogantly tried to manufacture.

Karma for Red Bull with their whining

Karma for Mercedes with trying to manufacture a race result.

Well done to Norris and Leclerc.
=D> =D> I'd one up you with that.
Exactly what happened

Alonso:"Karma!!!"

Hammerfist wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:16
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:11
DChemTech wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:06

At the moment of collision, albon was ahead and keeping it on the track.
Yes but at the beginning of the corner HAM had committed steering lock. It means that it’s his corner. ALB needs to go round the outside cleanly without taking to the racing line

Hamilton fan here but this one was on him. He did not want to let go of the position and it cost him. As soon as it happened I thought it was going to be a penalty. Albon had about 3/4 of his car ahead, so Hamilton could see him. He should have backed off. Plain and simple. I need to see the onboard again from Hamilton but if he was already on the power at the moment of impact then it is a slam dunk penalty. If he was not on the power and waiting for the car to turn then it becomes more unclear, but to me it is still his fault. These champions sometimes do not like losing their positions even though they already have been lost. Taht is why they are champions but sometimes it bites them in the arse.
ALB was not ahead, he had no right to dictate the line. This is basic racing 1-0-1

Just like ROS-HAM at this track a few years ago. You get a say in which line to take when you establish racing supremacy ie. when you’re ahead
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:17
Horner talking rubbish again "it's like he has something against him" when talking about the Hamilton/Albon incident. Horner really does play the broken winged bird to the full. It's sickening.

Albon very upset. I can understand that. Young driver seeing the possibility of a win. Don't agree with him saying "it's up to him if we crash". As he said - it's a risk to go around the outside.

Hamilton seems to be fairly even about it. Accepts the penalty from yesterday and from today.

The Scottish bloke says Albon deserved more space but also Hamilton couldn't do anything about it. It's a racing incident but the penalty is deserved because Albon lost out. Strange logic.
I don’t think the penalty was DESERVED because Albon lost so many positions, but I think it was APPLIED because Albon lost so many positions. Which as far as I’m concerned is absolutely the wrong way to go about it and probably why the stewards often find themselves in such a mess and copping so much stick.

The penalty should be decided by the impact incident alone and not the consequences of the impact. It happened earlier in the race with Vettel. There’s no doubt he was at fault when he spun earlier but no penalty because HE lost out. That shouldn’t matter. He would have been penalised if the car he hit spun. Just because it didn’t doesn’t mean he shouldn’t be.

If Albon doesn’t spin, then they don’t give Hamilton a penalty. That’s what’s wrong with the system in F1. It should be consistent to the cause of the incident, regardless of the effect.

Unf

214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:23
ALB was not ahead, he had no right to dictate the line. This is basic racing 1-0-1
Rules are rules. Ham was obligated to left a car width room and he didn't do it.

falonso81

hudnut wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:54
TimW wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:50

A driver of Hamiltons level should have anticipated that and leave Albon space.
He had lock applied all the way, never unwound the lock. So how is he supposed to give space? If you go around the outside, you put yourself in danger at the exit.
Brakes.
Well, he could have just lifted a bit, accept the overtake and fight for it next lap.

wesley123
wesley123

Unf wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:26
214270 wrote:
Rules are rules. Ham was obligated to left a car width room and he didn't do it.
He definitely left enough room. There was sufficient room on the left for Albon to go.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

siskue2005

Unf wrote:
214270 wrote:
Lewis did leave space,, just watch onboards, it was Albon taking the turn tighter thinking he had already cleared Lewis.

wesley123
wesley123

El Scorchio wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:19
Wynters wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
I tend to see Red Bull as always rolling the dice rather than being clever. If it works, they win. If it doesn't work, they finish 4th-5th, just like they would've normally. It's a clever thing to do, but it's not clever strategy on the day, as it were.
You could be right. We tend to more remember the occasions where there’s a big win. I do think hands down they are more on the ball than Mercedes and Ferrari though.

Today, Mercedes not stopping for softs was ridiculous, and it cost them the precious one two they sterilised the race halfway through to try and manufacture.
afaik they had no softs left.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Sevach
Sevach

Albon pulled the move correctly, it's pointless to say he could've been patient when he pulled the move cleanly.
Can't see intent on Hamilton's end, but that was on him.

cplchanb
cplchanb

El Scorchio wrote:
Wynters wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:

safe bet that they were so far ahead they missed the window when sc was called. the others dived right into the pits so they wouldve lost track position on ailing cars even if they did pit at the end of the lap

NathanOlder

Unf wrote:
214270 wrote:
Like Max a year earlier ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

siskue2005

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:29
Albon pulled the move correctly, it's pointless to say he could've been patient when he pulled the move cleanly.
Can't see intent on Hamilton's end, but that was on him.
How is a move on a down hill right turn on the outside side by side pulling a move correctly?? it was totally an inexperienced and desperate move on the outside at the very first opportunity even before the DRS was enabled and that too with 2 compounds softer 24 laps fresher tyres.

siskue2005

cplchanb wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:29
El Scorchio wrote:
Wynters wrote:

safe bet that they were so far ahead they missed the window when sc was called. the others dived right into the pits so they wouldve lost track position on ailing cars even if they did pit at the end of the lap
No they were in turns 8 and 9 when the safety was announced

Gothrek
Gothrek

Just saw the highlight, can anybody explain to me why Leclerc is getting so much praise? Besides a lucky pitstop, he didnt seem to do much special?