Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes MP4-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
myurr

Re: Vodaphone McLaren Mercedes 2009 MP4-24 Launch

djos wrote:Have you folk noticed the insides of the ovoid radiator intakes? You can see some unpainted carbon sculpting that seems to compress and funnel the air downwards and slightly towards the center of the car.
Isn't that one of the radiators?

Edit: Actually you might be right - looking very closely at this picture (http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/MAC.jpg) you can see the beginning of an unpainted section of carbon. Could curve round to be the bit you've noticed.

natef1

shir0 wrote: lookie here...can't find any pictures quickly so I've posted one from our galleries here...sorry if this is out of topic but just trying to help natef1 out.

Look at the right (CAR's LEFT) of the nose... the "tear drop-shaped" housing for the mandatory FOM camera is in a black housing in this MP4-23 picture...just slightly higher than (and rearwards of) the front wing bridge

also...check this thread out...

Mc Laren MP4/23 aero-mech development in 2008

bar555 has done some great compilation of the MP4-23's development in pictures. And it has (you guessed it!) cameras. Enjoy
Thank you very much for your help =D>

roost89

Are McLaren going to run KERS on their car at the start of the season? I ask because the car doesn't appear to have the electric shock warning sticker on it that the Ferrari has, also because Toyota didn't have one and they're not going to run a KER system until later in the season, if at all.

I had a look at the area just below the cock-pit and there're 3 'dots' that have names beside them. One reads KERS, the other Medical and the other Neutral.

Any ideas on what those dots could mean?
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Roland Ehnström

McLaren is one of the teams which will definately run KERS from the start of the season (the others being BMW and Williams, as far as I know). The lack of warning labels may be because they feel the system is now completely safe anyway. Or they might think it's bad PR to have them on the car at the launch. Or they just forgot. :)

dumbdave

Or they are using a mechanical KERS system - so no need for electrical warning stickers

EDIT: roost, that link to the picture doesnt work for me :(

myurr

dumbdave wrote:Or they are using a mechanical KERS system - so no need for electrical warning stickers

EDIT: roost, that link to the picture doesnt work for me :(

They are using an electro-mechanical system and carried the sticker in the past. Sure there is a reason for it though as the car was stated to have the system fitted and they plan to run with it from race 1.

natef1

This is the link roost89 meant (I believe) :

http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/MAC2.jpg

They look like lights..

EDIT : Toyota have a similar thing, you can see the 'N', and two other dots/lights/things.

Similar Toyota thing : http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/toy13.jpg

dumbdave

Ah thanks, guess they make life easier for the mechanics/marshalls, an indicator that the car is in neutral for pushing & that the KERS is discharged and safe.

timbo

Compared to Toyota and Ferrari, McLaren designers chose not to move cockpit to the front of the chassis and sidepods to the back. Maybe this is the reason we don't see the shields in front of sidepods?

fenix4life

Not sure if you've noticed but the front nose has a different colour then the rest of the car. Could it be that this will not be the final nose and they are just fooling us?

bassimon

dumbdave wrote:Ah thanks, guess they make life easier for the mechanics/marshalls, an indicator that the car is in neutral for pushing & that the KERS is discharged and safe.
Seems to be right, the "neutral" seems not only to be an indicating light but a button.
I think in terms of fia regulations it is the "clutch disengagement" (technical reg. art 9.4) and has to disable the clutch and any kers system for at least 15min even if all main systems of the car (electric, hydraulic, pneumatic) failed.
The "medical" sign however is the "medical warning system"(art 8.10):
In order to give rescue crews an immediate indication of accident severity each car must be fitted with
a warning light which is connected to the FIA data logger.
Don't found the explanation for the "kers" sign in the regs yet.
TUfast e.V.
Formula Student Team TU Munich

Chassis 2006 - 2010
http://www.tufast.de

roost89

dumbdave wrote:Ah thanks, guess they make life easier for the mechanics/marshalls, an indicator that the car is in neutral for pushing & that the KERS is discharged and safe.
That sounds quite probable actually!
natef1 wrote: Toyota have a similar thing, you can see the 'N', and two other dots/lights/things.

Similar Toyota thing : http://www.gurneyflap.com/Resources/toy13.jpg
I hadn't spotted those when I had a look on the Toyota. I had a look on the Ferrari and they're there too. It makes me wonder if they've been there all along or if it's a new addition.

Just checked the 2008 McLaren and they've got a light, I assume to show it's in Neutral. So it appears it's not a new thing #-o
"It could be done manually. It would take quite a while, but it could be done. There is however a much more efficient and accurate way of getting the data. Men with lasers." Wing Commander Andy Green

Deerfield805

D'Leh, Thanks for the great high res pics. However I don't see the 5th link. If you look at the Ferrari the upper rear A arm it has 3 connections to the rear upright/wheel. The third being the rear arm being "V" shaped and having 2 connections to the upright. This is very similar to most open wheel cars I've driven/worked on here in the States. Maybe I really am getting old and the eyeballs are wearing out, but I just don't see them on the Toyota or the McLaren.

shir0

bassimon wrote:Seems to be right, the "neutral" seems not only to be an indicating light but a button.
I think in terms of fia regulations it is the "clutch disengagement" (technical reg. art 9.4) and has to disable the clutch and any kers system for at least 15min even if all main systems of the car (electric, hydraulic, pneumatic) failed.

The "medical" sign however is the "medical warning system"(art 8.10)
yep... that's seems right. The "N"-marked red circle is supposed to be a button which, when pushed, completely disengages the ALL clutch systems within the car for 15-mins. This includes any/all clutch system/s used with KERS.

@roost89: All current cars is mandated to have this. 2007-2008 cars also had this button. I'm not sure, though, on how far back F1 cars have had them.

Same thing with the Medical Warning Light.
bassimon wrote:Don't found the explanation for the "kers" sign in the regs yet.
Got it for you man... Article 9.9.5 of the 2009 F1 Tech Regs
All cars must be fitted with a KERS status light which :
- is in working order throughout the Event even if the main hydraulic, pneumatic or electrical systems on the car have failed ;
- is located in the same general location s the light required by Article 8.10 (which is the Medical Warning Light article) ;
- is green only when the system is shut down ;
- remains powered for at least 15 minutes if the car comes to rest with its engine stopped ;
- is marked with a “HIGH VOLTAGE” symbol.
"Fortunately I've got a bag with dry ice in [my suit], which I put next to my balls, so at least they stay nice and cool!"- Sebastian Vettel, 2009 Malaysian GP Friday Practice.

bassimon

shir0 wrote: Got it for you man... Article 9.9.5 of the 2009 F1 Tech Regs
Ah...thank you. Just skimmed over the regs and obviously missed that part.
TUfast e.V.
Formula Student Team TU Munich

Chassis 2006 - 2010
http://www.tufast.de