2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
leftyiz

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

it is outrageous the penalty that Lewis had, it was clearly a racing incident when you look at the replay and frame by frame at no single point he moved the steering to the left, the cars just understeers and Albon instead of opening up his steering wheel and using all the curb on the left shows his lack of spatial awareness and experience.

Good to be back though, event hough the GP was really bad without the drama at the end :mrgreen:

McMika98
McMika98

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:21
https://scontent.fcok4-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=5F2614B0
Yup, not enough room for Albon and he didnt get it! :roll: :roll:
Don't you get the point that Albon is in front of Hamilton at the apex of the corner and when they are at the acceleration phase, he has the driving line and is entitled to it not the car behind. Albon didn't have to leave space even though Lewis has 3/4 of empty track to his side, yet Albon was as close to the kerbs as he can be without compromising his exit.
Lewis pushed the car to Alex's line during acceleration when he was already behind. That's it.
Last edited by turbof1 on 05 Jul 2020, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal part

NathanOlder

Would also like to add, the very same 2 cars went intot that very corner side by side on lap 1, this time with Hamilton on the outside. What happened.......... LEWIS BACKED OUT.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ENGINE TUNER
ENGINE TUNER

JordanMugen wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:45
214270 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:23
ALB was not ahead
You might want to double-check whose rear wheel (Albon's) was hit by whose front wheel (Hamilton). That suggests Albon was ahead.
That means they were side by side, you might want to learn the meaning of "ahead" in racing parlance. If you are not fully ahead, then by definition you are sibe by side. Albon was attempting to overtake and therefore the rules dictate he must do so safely, and that means giving proper racing room, he did not and ran over HAMs front tire with his rear tire.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

You'll find if you watch lewis onboard he hadnt accelerated at all before the contact, nor did he alter his steering angle. Adding steering angle when youre already at max slip doesnt make you turn any more. So lewis couldnt realistically do anymore to avoid it.

falonso81

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:53
Would also like to add, the very same 2 cars went intot that very corner side by side on lap 1, this time with Hamilton on the outside. What happened.......... LEWIS BACKED OUT.
Yes, but the second time Albon was AHEAD.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

NathanOlder wrote:
this was my next comment, they would have crashed on the first lap at the same plaxe had lewis not backed out massively, Albon left him zero room at all compared to the space Lewis left him in the second incident.

El Scorchio

When you compare it to lots of incidents that go unpunished, it’s a completely ridiculous penalty.

In my opinion, there’s nothing Hamilton could have reasonably done to avoid it either. Can’t steer any tighter. Can’t brake more or he’ll probably lock up and hit albon anyway.

A more experienced driver than Albon doesn’t put his car in such a prone position. His impatience has absolutely contributed to that. Maybe he’s been playing the video game too much.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

falonso81 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:57
NathanOlder wrote:
Yes, but the second time Albon was AHEAD.
barely! He was ahead from higher corner speed, how is Lewis supposed to alter his trajectory mid corner effectively? He cant, if albon is goin to go steamin around the outside and accelerate past on the OUTSIDE he should have the awareness that the driver on used tyres is likely to be at their grip limit to defend.

turbof1

Wasn't the rule btw that you had to be "significantly" ahead?
#AeroFrodo

Phil

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:18
Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:56
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:38

Because the guy on the inside, didn't leave space and bumped him, he got punished for it.
That is what happens when overtaking cars on the outside into a corner. There’s a reason why it’s more difficult and thus why pretty much every driver with half a brain will defend the inside of a corner. If Albon has the balls to attempt a move on the outside and at the risk if being pushed wide, he is also accepting it. This isnt anything new.

You are always going to be vulnerable when going around the outside.
Albon is trying a move around the outside because it's risky but legal, he did under the assumption Hamilton would give him room and the knowledge that "pushing a guy wide" isn't part of the rules.
There's a lot of gray area on "how far alongside" you have to be to be entitled to have room, but we can both agree that Albon was more than far enough "alongside" to get it.

Which is why i say Hamilton deserves the penalty he got, tough break for Albon.
I never said it wasnt legal. I said it’s a challenge, because the inside line gives that driver the edge in regards to position and defense. If you are on the outside, you are always vulnerable to the car on the inside moving outwards. It’s simple physics. Not to mention last year it was deemed to be a viable “racing maneuver”.

In the end, penalty or not, Albon was in the quicker car at that point and risked his car and his position with a risky move. He finished outside the top 10 while Hamilton still finished 4th. That says enough really.

Bad for Hamilton in regards to the championship, yes, but WDC or not, i dont expect him to jump out the way every time a car tries to race him. And as others pointed out, at the beginning of the race, the positions were reversed and Hamilton was left out to dry by Albon, yet he was smart enough to back out despite being in the faster car. Tells you more than enough about racing smarts.

What irks me about the stewards penalty is because it feels like they only gave it because Albon lost so many position, not because Hamilton did anything wrong. If he was solely to blame, why not throw the book at him? This is the wrong reason to give out penalties IMO.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Bill
Bill

Albon pulled that move on Hamilton the start ,Lewis being on the outside of a corner at race start but Lewis back off and survived.lewis was merely returning a favor Alex should learn to take it if you are willing to serve it to others.

RZS10

Did anyone have a look at the laptimes of Bottas towards the end? He did a 1:07.657 only to follow up with a 1:10.046 which put him right in front of Lewis whose laptimes dropped as a result of that...clever.

tpeman
tpeman

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:49
tpeman wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 18:05
Bill_Kar wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:42

I think we've reached a point where Lewis' haters don't even bother to argue in a semi - logical fashion. They just shout lies.
I watched the onboards. I don't think by providing criticism I am a "hater", it is generally a very overused word. Anyways, here is some footage from his FP3 lap and the moment of the accident. So you say a difference of around 10-15 degrees is "full lock".
Also, I'd like to point out that Albon was heading for the kerb, which obviously isn't in the direction of Lewis.

Full lock
https://i.imgur.com/4Byov8Y.png

Lewis' lock during the incident
https://i.imgur.com/4Bn5Ygx.png

Edit:

Fixed images not showing.
You need to understand how steering through a corner works first buddy. Lewis would be on the limit of adhesion (limit of grip) If he adds more lock , the car understeers more. You dont just turn more to go tighter. The cars are on the limit, the front has no more grip to give, If it did, he would have gone faster. Turning the wheel like you want him to would mean the contact with Albon would have been greater.
I know this. But as you probably know, we're not talking about speeds of 250+km/h, this was 80-120, somewhere around this range. The lock on his FP3 lap was done with 71 km/h, which is his apex speed. Also, you can check the steering lock Bottas applied on the last corner of his pole lap, which is quite a lot similar to the lock Hamilton applied today. I don't know the concrete speed, but he took it in middle revs 5th gear. I'd say quite a lot faster than what Hamilton did today. You could say it's due to race setup, onboard fuel and tire wear, which is true - and this is exactly why he should've backed off, just like Norris did when Leclerc overtook him.

dtro
dtro

First race since November last year, and all people be arguin' about is the incident with Hamilton and Albon, and what a race it was.