2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
epo
epo

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:59
sosic2121 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:38
PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:13
They would have DNF'd anyway. For me it is a sign RedBull conceeds that they cannot win on pace this year.
The WDC has Hamilton written all over it. Might as well give him now.
Absolutely, if stops making stupid mistakes like yesterday. And of course if improves his Q pace.
I didn't see any stupid mistakes from Hamilton. Not sure what you are talking about. The completion of this race has not brought any concerns about Hamilton's driving. What I saw was monster race pace that Bottas had no answer to. No one has a chance if that black rocketship of a car is reliable.

AUT - round 2 - HAM
HUN - HAM
GBR - HAM
GBR r2 - HAM
ESP - HAM
BEL - HAM
ITA - HAM

I can't see Bottas really getting on top without some luck.
Yeah ignoring yellow flags and slower then Bottas.
Also Bottas could have gone faster, Hamilton was not threat to him so why go faster and risk the car.
Last edited by Steven on 06 Jul 2020, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed personal comments

Wynters
Wynters

PlatinumZealot wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:13
They would have DNF'd anyway. For me it is a sign RedBull conceeds that they cannot win on pace this year.
The WDC has Hamilton written all over it. Might as well give him now.
Even if this assessment is true, it depends how short the season is. Bottas can already afford to lose the next two races to Hamilton and, as he should be comfortably in second, can pit and win the fastest lap point with ease.

If Hamilton DNFs then that's another 4 races Bottas can finish second in (as long as he hoovers up those fastest lap points). That's eight races down with Bottas only having to beat Hamilton once and he's still in the lead. And for every additional win (e.g. this Sunday coming) that's not only another race gone for Hamilton but he'll need to spend another race clawing back the points just to reset the points difference.

Wynters
Wynters

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:45
The team won't see it that way, the team wants 1/2's and maximum points. If Bottas Hadn't slowed down, Lewis would had 3rd easy, and if he had upped his pace as soon as the 5 second penalty was announced he might have even been able to keep second.
If I was Toto then I'd be unhappy. But what is he going to do? Pull Bottas out of the car for a race? Only put upgrades on Hamilton's car? Remember how much he let both Hamilton and Rosberg get away with?

If another manufacturer gets close, he'll bang heads together and we'll get no racing after the first corner / during pit stops. Otherwise, until Bottas or Hamilton pull a stupid move and crash into the other Mercedes he'll let them race.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Andres125sx wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:36
Sometimes it takes someone to lead!
Indeed, it´s much better than assuming there will be no response :)

SmallSoldier wrote:
I’ll admit that my highlight yesterday was Norris, not only because of the podium, but also because of managing to pull the Fastest Lap of the race, at the last lap with all the pressure that it implies... And he was coming from a couple of laps were he made several mistakes (he missed T1 and T3, going off track and then got wheel to wheel with Sainz afterwards)... For him, to get back in the rhythm and pulled 2 great laps at the end (lap 70 was a 1:07.8 and lap 71 a 1:07.4) is pretty impressive.
Yes impressive perfomance by Lando. From 3rd on the grid to 3rd in the race does not look impressive, but if you add it was not a Ferrari or RBR, not even a pink Mercedes, but a McLaren, the pov change drastically :mrgreen:

3rd in the grid was awesome, but I think even the most stalwart McLaren fans in the world knew he will drop some places. But he didn´t!! =D>

SmallSoldier wrote:
In addition and probably just anecdotal, his Fastest Lap matched Max’s Fastest Lap of 2019... Which shows how much the MCL35 has improved from the previous season and still waiting for some upgrades that will come at Silverstone.
In addition, it was not only one McLaren, but both of them. Lando earned that podium but Carlos was just behind so even if Norris would have suffered some problem, the trophy would still be in McLaren stands, wich is the reason they´re 2nd in the WCC

Obviously Ferrari and RBR will do it much better in next races, but they can be proud of their perfomance in first gp of the season, whatever happens in nexts those 27 points will remain in McLaren scoreboard
I love the fact that the team can still be “optimistically cautious” based on the result and probably the expectation is to have another good race this weekend... Mclaren also had a decent race in Hungary last season and hopefully they can carry the momentum towards the next 2 races... If the goal is to be P4 by the end of the season, they couldn’t have asked for a stronger start!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MtthsMlw

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:20
Big Tea wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:03
dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 19:45

The team won't see it that way, the team wants 1/2's and maximum points. If Bottas Hadn't slowed down, Lewis would had 3rd easy, and if he had upped his pace as soon as the 5 second penalty was announced he might have even been able to keep second.
Was he not told in no uncertain terns to 'save the car'? It had already passed the stay off the curbs stage, and stay of the red and white too.
Bottas's lat times after the restart and after they had been told to stay of the curbs.

Lap 61- 1:08.204
Lap 62 - 1:08.378
Lap 63 - 1:08.062
Lap 64 - 1:08.174
Lap 65 - 1:08.238
Lap 66 - 1:08.199
Lap 67 - 1:08.023
Lap 68 - 1:07.657
Lap 69 - 1:10.046
Lap 70 - 1:08.200
Lap 71 - 1:08.412

Lap 69 Put Lewis right on his butt and in Dirty air. and cost the team points.
There was a double yellow in lap 69. Besides that his laptimes are consistent.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Wynters wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
I’ll admit that my highlight yesterday was Norris, not only because of the podium, but also because of managing to pull the Fastest Lap of the race, at the last lap with all the pressure that it implies... And he was coming from a couple of laps were he made several mistakes (he missed T1 and T3, going off track and then got wheel to wheel with Sainz afterwards)... For him, to get back in the rhythm and pulled 2 great laps at the end (lap 70 was a 1:07.8 and lap 71 a 1:07.4) is pretty impressive.
The only blot on his copy book was the Perez move and, in a way, I think it shows good development. One of his points for improvement last season was his caution about getting his elbows out. There's definitely a time and a place for it but Sunday was a useful marker to put down, especially with someone he might be racing wheel-to-wheel with over the next few races.

Very impressed with MCL's development. I didn't think they'd make anywhere near the step they have done. I'm looking forward to seeing how far they can take this concept, particularly with the regs extending through 2021 now.
foxmulder_ms wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 18:40
What Bottas did in both qualifying and the last lab was ugly... it will make Lewis's win more satisfying. Bottos will be replaced either by Ocon or more probably Russell next year.
Bottas did nothing in qualifying and, if he did slow Hamilton up in the last few laps, then that was smart of him. It's a competition and what he did was perfectly legal.
I’m with you, the fact that they are showing a very decent improvement season on season (on a track that was good for them last season also) is very encouraging... Comparing their qualifying lap to Red Bull’s Qualy lap last season, they would have a couple of tenth from Max... Yes, different year, different track conditions and temperature... But, when not a lot of other teams improved versus 2019, that shows that the car has gained a considerable amount of pace during winter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dans79

Wynters wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:26
Even if this assessment is true, it depends how short the season is. Bottas can already afford to lose the next two races to Hamilton and, as he should be comfortably in second, can pit and win the fastest lap point with ease.
You are assuming Bottas has no issues of his own, and as we have already seen in the first race weekend (off the track in qualifying) he is not immune to issues. In my personal opinion, He will most likely lose some points to other drivers.
197 104 103 7

Wouter

SmallSoldier wrote:
I agree. I enjoyed his race yesterday. He is a great talent imo. Give him a good car and ....... :)
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wynters wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:33
If I was Toto then I'd be unhappy. But what is he going to do? Pull Bottas out of the car for a race? Only put upgrades on Hamilton's car? Remember how much he let both Hamilton and Rosberg get away with?

If another manufacturer gets close, he'll bang heads together and we'll get no racing after the first corner / during pit stops. Otherwise, until Bottas or Hamilton pull a stupid move and crash into the other Mercedes he'll let them race.
I expect there will be an off the books conversation.
197 104 103 7

dans79

MtthsMlw wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:37
Difference between lap 68 and lap 69. Even if you subtract half a second from Bottas time (as lap 68 looks like a fastest lap attempt) his slow down was still excessive compared to those in close proximity to him.

Bottas - 2.389
Hamilton - 0.668
Leclerc - 0.197
Norris - 0.573
Sainz - 0.443
197 104 103 7

matt_b
matt_b

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:52
MtthsMlw wrote:
Difference between lap 68 and lap 69. Even if you subtract half a second from Bottas time (as lap 68 looks like a fastest lap attempt) his slow down was still excessive compared to those in close proximity to him.

Bottas - 2.389
Hamilton - 0.668
Leclerc - 0.197
Norris - 0.573
Sainz - 0.443
Great analysis. I am certain Mercedes have already seen this by now and are probably dealing with it internally keeping it quiet. The only way out for Bottas is if he made a mistake but again Mercedes will have all the traces.

godlameroso

Bottas did everything to perfection starting Saturday. He had pole in the bag, because no matter what happens, even if Hamilton was up, he had track position, and could push beyond the limits of the car if he wanted to, he would have been on pole regardless of what happened, because exceeding the limits of the car would trigger a yellow flag. That it cost Hamilton 3 grid places was just icing on the cake. Then from lap 1 he was just controlling the race, even on the re-starts he just managed everything to perfection. He doesn't get much recognition for it, but Bottas was without fault 100% all weekend long. An utter machine.

He exploited every single advantage possible within reason and dominated.
Saishū kōnā

etusch

godlameroso wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:12
Bottas did everything to perfection starting Saturday. He had pole in the bag, because no matter what happens, even if Hamilton was up, he had track position, and could push beyond the limits of the car if he wanted to, he would have been on pole regardless of what happened, because exceeding the limits of the car would trigger a yellow flag. That it cost Hamilton 3 grid places was just icing on the cake. Then from lap 1 he was just controlling the race, even on the re-starts he just managed everything to perfection. He doesn't get much recognition for it, but Bottas was without fault 100% all weekend long. An utter machine.

He exploited every single advantage possible within reason and dominated.
those are what happened. But I believe that that jumps outside of asphalt will return him as a retirement

Oleo
Oleo

matt_b wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:07
dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:52
MtthsMlw wrote:

Bottas - 2.389
Hamilton - 0.668
Leclerc - 0.197
Norris - 0.573
Sainz - 0.443
Great analysis. I am certain Mercedes have already seen this by now and are probably dealing with it internally keeping it quiet. The only way out for Bottas is if he made a mistake but again Mercedes will have all the traces.
Its a terrible analysis. Bottas's slow down is what is expected at a double waved yellow in 2 long turns. The rest should have been penalised. Its kinda pointless to do that though since there are no consequences if everyone gets the same penalty.

Sieper

Hamilton has now hammered Albon twice. I knew the penalty was coming the moment I saw it. And not just because he killed Albon’s race, but also, as you also elude to, pressure to punish equal is growing. Leaving a car no room when tucked next to the white line is an almost guaranteed penalty (when the overtake attempt is far enough). More penalties for this will follow. Not only for Hamilton. In fact, Monza 2018 The overwhelming majority here felt it was very reasonable Verstappen got this same penalty, even if all it took for Bottas was to move a little more to the left (where there was more then enough asfalt, no pebbles like here) and Bottas’ race wasn’t Even ruined back then. Albon on his fresh reds versus two mercs on old whites would have won this race. Considering that the penalty was even lenient.