2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
matt_b
matt_b

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Oleo wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:32
matt_b wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:07
dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 20:52

Difference between lap 68 and lap 69. Even if you subtract half a second from Bottas time (as lap 68 looks like a fastest lap attempt) his slow down was still excessive compared to those in close proximity to him.

Bottas - 2.389
Hamilton - 0.668
Leclerc - 0.197
Norris - 0.573
Sainz - 0.443
Great analysis. I am certain Mercedes have already seen this by now and are probably dealing with it internally keeping it quiet. The only way out for Bottas is if he made a mistake but again Mercedes will have all the traces.
Its a terrible analysis. Bottas's slow down is what is expected at a double waved yellow in 2 long turns. The rest should have been penalised. Its kinda pointless to do that though since there are no consequences if everyone gets the same penalty.
Ok Lap 68 and 69 sector times, it suggests they all lifted for both double yellows in sector 11 (in between turns 6 and 7) and sector 12 (turn 8 ), Bottas just lifted a lot more by the looks of it but the teams will have the traces and know a lot more.

Bottas - 17.266- 30.181 - 20.210
Lewis - 17.158- 30.318 - 20.440
Lec - 17.309 - 30.169 - 20.649
Nor - 17.366 - 30.688- 20.525

Bottas - 17.186 - 30.922 - 21.938
Lewis - 17.179 - 30.532 - 20.873
Lec - 17.292 - 30.264 - 20.768
Nor - 16.887 - 30.854 - 20.768

Wynters
Wynters

Sieper wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 21:47
Leaving a car no room when tucked next to the white line is an almost guaranteed penalty (when the overtake attempt is far enough).
But he did have room? If you are going to argue the point, Sevach's 'lane' analogy is a far more robust position.
Sieper wrote:
In fact, Monza 2018 The overwhelming majority here felt it was very reasonable Verstappen got this same penalty, even if all it took for Bottas was to move a little more to the left (where there was more then enough asfalt, no pebbles like here) and Bottas’ race wasn’t Even ruined back then.
There is a massive difference between sweeping across in the braking zone, before you even start to turn into the corner and sweeping out on the exit of the corner. To compare the two is neither accurate nor helpful.

A more accurate comparison might be Verstappen on Leclerc last year. Those who excused Verstappen then, when he came from behind and eased his steering to push the entirety of the Ferrari off the track, should be arguing in favour of Hamilton. Those who argued in favour of a penalty will likely be arguing in favour of a penalty now, although the fact that Hamilton was ahead at the apex and did leave more than a car's width for Albon to occupy might change that.

For me, that the stewards penalised one and not the other is the most fundamental issue.
Sieper wrote:
Albon on his fresh reds versus two mercs on old whites would have won this race. Considering that the penalty was even lenient.
1. Supposition and 2. Why should the penalty depend on the severity of the outcome? If you breach the rules, there should be a fixed penalty for that breach. Not only would it lead to even more wildly inconsistent rulings but it also means leading teams can trash those teams that are struggling with no consequences. 'I mean, sure, [insert driver here] put Latifi into the wall but it's not like Latifi was going to score points.'

Sieper

They should punish equal. Point was that this is not always being done.

And, if you cause a retirement you do get punished more quickly. Why would causing someone to drop down from P2 to Dead last not carry a bit more weight for the stewards. It does.

dans79

In my opinion, this is a bone-headed move by Albon at worst, and a racing incident at best.
  • They are almost at the Apex of the turn before Albon has drawn level with Lewis.
  • At the point of contact Albon's car is fully inside the white line. Not to mention the racing line on that corner's exit is almost the entire car over the white line.
  • From the apex to the point of impact Lewis has full lock on, hence the reason you see him throw up his left hand in frustration afterwards.
Albon should go back and watch the replay of lap one, and maybe he will learn something. Lewis made an almost carbon copy move on him in the exact same corner. The difference being that Lewis had the experience to realize that Albon was only ever going to run into the side of him, because of albon's cars momentum. hence why Lewis backed out of it when they reached the apex.
197 104 103 7

Big Tea

Several of these type of off have been caused as much by the wheels interlocking as by the push. Is it maybe worth looking at some sort of deflector bestrewn the wheels to prevent tread on tread contact? If they do not want advantage there then a tubular bar? Stretching the point, but there was much made of riding over tyres at one time.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 22:53
In my opinion, this is a bone-headed move by Albon at worst, and a racing incident at best.
  • They are almost at the Apex of the turn before Albon has drawn level with Lewis.
  • At the point of contact Albon's car is fully inside the white line. Not to mention the racing line on that corner's exit is almost the entire car over the white line.
  • From the apex to the point of impact Lewis has full lock on, hence the reason you see him throw up his left hand in frustration afterwards.
Albon should go back and watch the replay of lap one, and maybe he will learn something. Lewis made an almost carbon copy move on him in the exact same corner. The difference being that Lewis had the experience to realize that Albon was only ever going to run into the side of him, because of albon's cars momentum. hence why Lewis backed out of it when they reached the apex.
Not comparable. speed difference between Merc on old whites versus RBR on brand new reds is much bigger than both on post qualy yellows as in those starting laps of the race. Albon could pull in front whilst Lewis was never going to make it.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Anybody else notice how poor lewis in turn 3 compared to bottas consistently. He would be 0.5 behind before the turn, and exit up to 0.8 behind givin him no chance of overtakin. Bottas took a more normal line through the turn and took a 'standard' apex, where as lewis would go deeper and square off the corner, but it didnt do him any favours. Hopefully he make the adjustment for this weekend.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:31
Not comparable.
That's your opinion, and one I do not agree with.
197 104 103 7

dans79

Mchamilton wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:34
Anybody else notice how poor lewis in turn 3 compared to bottas consistently. He would be 0.5 behind before the turn, and exit up to 0.8 behind givin him no chance of overtakin. Bottas took a more normal line through the turn and took a 'standard' apex, where as lewis would go deeper and square off the corner, but it didnt do him any favours. Hopefully he make the adjustment for this weekend.
That's his driving style, and one of the main reasons he's better on tire wear than Bottas is.

It's been a few years, but if you go back and watch the driving coach ( I forget his name) that Peter Windsor used to have on his YouTube channel regularly, he explains it in some detail.
197 104 103 7

NathanOlder

Sieper wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 23:31
dans79 wrote:
Not comparable. speed difference between Merc on old whites versus RBR on brand new reds is much bigger than both on post qualy yellows as in those starting laps of the race. Albon could pull in front whilst Lewis was never going to make it.
Lewis left room to his left. your argument is void. as people above have tried to explain but you choose to ignore this. How can you not see Hamilton had more than a cars width to his left when they touched, were you not paying attention? clearly not, as you seem to think they were side by side in lap 1 on post qualy yellows?!? Only 1 car on the whole grid was on post qualy yellows #-o
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

dans79 wrote:
100% truth.

PlatinumZealot

dans79 wrote:
+1000 my dude.

I can tell you understand overtaking rules. I wish others would educate themselves before we go forward.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

The elephant in the room for me.. Is the whole Mercedes equality thing. I think its overdone. It has come to my attention that Lewis had requested... Or suggested a different tyre strategy to what the team ultimately chose, but he was told no, shut up and drive the strategy we give you. Imagine that! If Mercedes stretegist was really paying attention he would have seen it obbious that many more reliabilty incidients were to come and thus the increased chances of saftey cars.. And as such should have ran the more aggressive strategy..

It really irks me because it isn't allowing the drivers to use their experience and instincts to differentiate themselves.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 01:52
It really irks me because it isn't allowing the drivers to use their experience and instincts to differentiate themselves.
I some what agree, it seems Merc only lets them race when they have a substantial lead in the championships. Until that point in time it's almost always the same strategy, with the leading driver pitting first, unless their is a strategic need for the second driver to pit first to cover off someone trying to undercut them.
197 104 103 7

Moore77

PlatinumZealot wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 01:52
The elephant in the room for me.. Is the whole Mercedes equality thing. I think its overdone. It has come to my attention that Lewis had requested... Or suggested a different tyre strategy to what the team ultimately chose, but he was told no, shut up and drive the strategy we give you. Imagine that! If Mercedes stretegist was really paying attention he would have seen it obbious that many more reliabilty incidients were to come and thus the increased chances of saftey cars.. And as such should have ran the more aggressive strategy..

"Urgent Chassis Default 2-1" aka "Multi 21"
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.