Red Bull RB16

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Re: Red Bull RB16

I wouldn't trust Horner. He's playing games and trying to scare the FIA in to banning DAS early. How can you get "more extreme"? They can use a DAS system to change the toe-in/out. What are they going to do? Run with 20 degrees of toe? :shock: :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Morteza

Comparison of new and old nose (via F1i.com)
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Sieper

It now looks very much like mercedes. Only thing missing is those indentations on the top side (which tracing point has also copied) and Ofcourse the much more open s ducting.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton

Morteza wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 15:31
Comparison of new and old nose (via F1i.com)
https://i.imgur.com/P2EUuod.jpg
RBR dont seem to bother with the Y250 vortex off of the flap tips like most of other teams

PlatinumZealot

Car looks twichy mid corner in Q mode. Likely setup for race not translatable to Q. Mercedes look dead stable. More versatile.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

McMika98
McMika98

Never understood why they cant move away from the high rake concept, Merc have been producing the highest of downforce levels for the last 5 years with a low rake. Car becomes much more stable and less peaky. This year the car is even worse, I don't think it will do well in changeable and windy conditions which was an achilles heel last year. The mclarens are a surprise now within touching distance despite significantly lower downforce.
James key is missed by Toro Rosso. He produced cars that were faster than Adrian's at the start of the year only to be outdeveloped. 2022 isn't looking great if they don't change the philosophy.

Xwang
Xwang

I doubt that any team can change the philosophy of the car as the chassis is homologated and being the nest one the last season with the current aerodynamic rules.
Certainly the changes to the rules of next year seem to favor (again) the low rake approach (as was done with the ban / limitation of the external washing done with the changes of last year concerning the front wing and the front wheels blown because both were tools to have a larger wash to prevent the trail of the front tire from going under the machine which is more difficult to control with a high rake concept) because it will be more difficult to create the aerodynamic skirt with the high rake approach without the holes in the bottom of the car.

bosyber
bosyber

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 04:45
Car looks twichy mid corner in Q mode. Likely setup for race not translatable to Q. Mercedes look dead stable. More versatile.
Motorsport-total (I think, or was it AMuS) reported that Red Bull found an issue with the floor edges which were (if I understood correctly) too bendy under airflow when the wheels were steered in very much, ie. in tight corners - and they hope to have some first bits to fix that for the coming weekend (making it more rigid?). They were quoting the team as that being cause of Verstappen spin (and presumably those in pre-season testing as well), giving them an extra 0.3s when that problem is fully solved.
Sieper wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 15:55
It now looks very much like mercedes. Only thing missing is those indentations on the top side (which tracing point has also copied) and Ofcourse the much more open s ducting.
Yeah, very Mercedes but bulked up outside to have those air-channels fit I guess. And that might also be why they don't use those indentations, as they already have airflow going through rather than around. Or it could be an intermediate step in changing the aero system.

Morteza

New rear wing

Last edited by Morteza on 09 Jul 2020, 17:50, edited 2 times in total.
"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Pyrone89

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 07:06
Never understood why they cant move away from the high rake concept, Merc have been producing the highest of downforce levels for the last 5 years with a low rake. Car becomes much more stable and less peaky. This year the car is even worse, I don't think it will do well in changeable and windy conditions which was an achilles heel last year. The mclarens are a surprise now within touching distance despite significantly lower downforce.
James key is missed by Toro Rosso. He produced cars that were faster than Adrian's at the start of the year only to be outdeveloped. 2022 isn't looking great if they don't change the philosophy.
Not sure why he is getting minus points this time. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I also think now the low-rake concept is superior, especially with the constant rules changes that hurt high rake cars way more than low-rake cars. Problem only is that everything is homologated now.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

ME4ME

Pyrone89 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 17:22
McMika98 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 07:06
Not sure why he is getting minus points this time. Even a broken clock is right twice a day. I also think now the low-rake concept is superior, especially with the constant rules changes that hurt high rake cars way more than low-rake cars. Problem only is that everything is homologated now.
I didn't vote, but I'll tell you much of what he wrote is factually incorrect.

-Yes Mercedes has been good but they haven't always had the most downforce over the last 5 years. Red Bull has beaten them in that area plenty of times. Winning at typical venue's where ultimate downforce makes the difference (Monaco, Mexico etc)
- Mclaren also run plenty of rake.
- Toro Rosso was competitve against Red Bull early in the season just once.

McMika98
McMika98

ME4ME wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 17:39

-Yes Mercedes has been good but they haven't always had the most downforce over the last 5 years. Red Bull has beaten them in that area plenty of times. Winning at typical venue's where ultimate downforce makes the difference (Monaco, Mexico etc)
- Mclaren also run plenty of rake.
- Toro Rosso was competitve against Red Bull early in the season just once.
Merc always had multi wing elements loaded to max downforce levels. I am saying that they were able to generate as much if not more downforce without the rake. Merc always struggled in slow corners as they had longer wheelbase and car was not as nimble. That is now a thing of past with their clever steering column. The longer floor with low rake will generate as much downforce which is consistent.

The floor arguement is a weird one, surely they should have seen it in Barcelona. Also max was spinning in slow speed corners where they could not have been much load.

dren

McMika98 wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 19:13
Merc always struggled in slow corners as they had longer wheelbase and car was not as nimble. That is now a thing of past with their clever steering column.
Mercedes was a beast in slow corners last year without their clever steering column.
Honda!

FW17

The did have a suspension setup last year that have a lot of grip in slow corners.

Something to do with the camber change with the steering last year, don't remember the discussion here.