Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
Cold Fussion

Re: Will Electric Vehicles Be Viable? When?

Perhaps in the future there will be a thermochemical approach to hydrogren production, such as the Sulfur-Iodine cycle

Brake Horse Power

First 10 Hyundai hydrogen trucks are on their way to Swiss. 1590 to go!

They are making a smart business case there by not having to pay enormous amounts of toll.

https://www.h2-view.com/story/hyundai-s ... itzerland/

Greg Locock

Australia is about to introduce a mileage tax for EVs, the free ride is over.

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 02:28
What free ride? There are no tax breaks of any kind for buying an EV here.
"In downforce we trust"

Greg Locock

EVs don't pay the tax on fuel that is theoretically used to maintain the roads.
https://acapmag.com.au/2020/07/nsw-gove ... usage-tax/

Fuel excise is a silly way of doing it anyway, as the damage a vehicle does to the road is proportional to the axle weight to the power of 5 (ish), not fuel consumption. And I'm pretty sure my Everest is doing more damage to the roads than my old Falcon sedan did, even though it only uses 2/3 as much fuel.

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 03:06
True.
Greg Locock wrote:
Fuel excise is a silly way of doing it anyway, as the damage a vehicle does to the road is proportional to the axle weight to the power of 5 (ish), not fuel consumption. And I'm pretty sure my Everest is doing more damage to the roads than my old Falcon sedan did, even though it only uses 2/3 as much fuel.
Agreed, we'd be far better off paying a Road use tax at rego time based on the number of KM's driven and vehicle polution ratings. I dont see the Fed gov handing their fuel excise powers over to the states any time soon tho.
"In downforce we trust"

Phil

Greg Locock wrote:

There is a corelation between fuel usage and weight though, assuming cars of similar age and technology. So taxing by fuel is easy and works and hurts those that use more (hence, drive more or with less efficient vehicles). but yes, EVs currently dont pay any. They’ll have to find a new way to tax them soon.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

hollus

A typical example of legislation lagging behind technology.
Those electrons weigh next to nothing, but one is hauling around batteries instead, lots of batteries...
I am happy to see EVs compete with other techonolgies more and more on merit and less and less on subsidies. They are mainstream enough to be regulated now. Fine!
Rivals, not enemies.

foxmulder_ms

Greg Locock wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 02:28
Geee... what about the centuries long free ride of oil companies. Literally, last year, total tax breaks for oil companies in USA was over $$$$ 25 billion++ subsidies they got since they are "domestic" energy.

strad

What is the U.S. equivalent to an Everest? An Explorer or an Escape? Just wondering.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

djos

strad wrote:
07 Jul 2020, 20:20
What is the U.S. equivalent to an Everest? An Explorer or an Escape? Just wondering.
It’s based on the ranger chassis so just below an explorer I’d say.
"In downforce we trust"

strad

Ah.. Thanks. I looked on line but it looked bigger than a Ranger pickup.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Greg Locock

It's a SWB Ranger chassis, with a new coil spring 4 arm +watts live axle suspension, designed by me (with a little help from my friends). SUV body. Next week sees the reveal of its sibling.

djos

Greg Locock wrote:
08 Jul 2020, 02:07
It's a SWB Ranger chassis, with a new coil spring 4 arm +watts live axle suspension, designed by me (with a little help from my friends). SUV body. Next week sees the reveal of its sibling.
Ah nice, good to see we still at least design vehichles here. 8)
"In downforce we trust"

gruntguru

Greg Locock wrote:

Hilarious. That will be a real money-spinner, taxing the millions of EV's on Aussie roads.

Fuel excise is a reasonable proxy when you consider all the costs to the public - road maintenance, congestion, air pollution etc
je suis charlie