Is anyone else Folding@Home for COVID-19 or other causes?

Post anything that doesn't belong in any other forum, including gaming and topics unrelated to motorsport. Site specific discussions should go in the site feedback forum.
Airshifter

Re: Is anyone else Folding@Home for COVID-19 or other causes?

PlatinumZealot wrote: ↑
19 Jun 2020, 02:26
Folding at home... Has it ever lead to any breakthroughs yet? Knew of this thing since i got into building game PCs.. But.. Havent.. Heard of breakthroughs... Hmm
Due to the nature of the work, they may have been involved in many things without getting any credit. Their work is all open to all, and as such can be used by anyone without recognition or any legal matters.

For the most part, scientific experimentation at that level is rarely a quick "aha" moment with a huge breakthrough, but more like years of published papers, which lead to analysis of trends, etc... and then further work to substantiate or refute any trends or such.

Science has advanced so much that they are now studying and beginning to understand things that just decades ago were virtually unknown. I would assume as time goes on, scientific discovery will continue to be a reasonably slow process.

But the idea of any distributed computing project brings decades of simulation time into being available in weeks or months, so the advances can be made quicker.

PlatinumZealot

Airshifter wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2020, 03:23
Folding at home... Has it ever lead to any breakthroughs yet? Knew of this thing since i got into building game PCs.. But.. Havent.. Heard of breakthroughs... Hmm
Due to the nature of the work, they may have been involved in many things without getting any credit. Their work is all open to all, and as such can be used by anyone without recognition or any legal matters.

For the most part, scientific experimentation at that level is rarely a quick "aha" moment with a huge breakthrough, but more like years of published papers, which lead to analysis of trends, etc... and then further work to substantiate or refute any trends or such.

Science has advanced so much that they are now studying and beginning to understand things that just decades ago were virtually unknown. I would assume as time goes on, scientific discovery will continue to be a reasonably slow process.

But the idea of any distributed computing project brings decades of simulation time into being available in weeks or months, so the advances can be made quicker.
In terms of calculation time the true emergence of Quantum computing will certainly be interesting to say the least. Though it must be recognized that some problems lend themselves better to traditional computing than to quantum computing.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Big Tea

08 Jul 2020, 17:27
Airshifter wrote: ↑
08 Jul 2020, 03:23

In terms of calculation time the true emergence of Quantum computing will certainly be interesting to say the least. Though it must be recognized that some problems lend themselves better to traditional computing than to quantum computing.

Making the machines to make the machines to make..."In our lab, the robot mixes together the chemicals in just the right way - - and explores what happens."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44872432
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

It is said the the Formula 1 oil giants use similar machine learning to find promising new designer fuels.
πŸ–οΈβœŒοΈβ˜οΈπŸ‘€πŸ‘ŒβœοΈπŸŽπŸ†πŸ™

Big Tea

08 Jul 2020, 23:40
It is said the the Formula 1 oil giants use similar machine learning to find promising new designer fuels.
Can't find the article right now, but was reading that computerised chemical labs are working is several places and developing things many times faster than humans.

The do it 'mathematically' first then using the actual chemical and compare results. Seems they are also used in medical research and new compounds along with metallurgy
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

kfrantzios

During the lockdown i used all of my company's computational power in folding at home. We reached top 5% worldwide.