Why so slow

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AriaanGert

Why so slow

I am new to this forum, so I may have missed it. But I am looking for an answer on the question:

Why were the cars so slow in Austria, compared to 2019. Without major rule changes cars get quicker, even within the season. How come it is not the case?

MtthsMlw

Re: Why so slow

Were they?
Qualifying 2019 vs 2020

Racing Point -0.921
Williams -0.737
Renault -0.493
McLaren -0.473
AlphaTauri -0.360
Mercedes -0.323s
Red Bull +0.038
Haas +0.619
Ferrari +0.920
Alfa Romeo +1.119

Well..yes if your powered by the Ferrari PU :?

Big Tea

Could it be that run off's are being policed more rigorously?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Don't forget that this was the first race of the season for these cars, where as last year it was the 9th race. So last year the cars we well developed, any small issues long gone. If you imagine a season ending in November in Abu Dhabi, and the following season beginning in March in Abu Dhabi, I would bet the November cars would possibly be faster as they are all well evolved cars reaching their peak performance. The March cars have more room to progress in to but have to sometimes take a small step back to take bigger steps forward.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ENGINE TUNER

Bottas ruined Q3 so that could have been another couple tenths for everyone in the top 10.

Was it the same tire allocation as last year?

The PU TD may have effected everyone, just Ferrari the most.

PlatinumZealot

AriaanGert wrote:
09 Jul 2020, 14:36
I am new to this forum, so I may have missed it. But I am looking for an answer on the question:

Why were the cars so slow in Austria, compared to 2019. Without major rule changes cars get quicker, even within the season. How come it is not the case?
Engine power loss because of tightening of the rules AND diminishing returns on aero.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

godlameroso

More weight too.
Saishū kōnā

mertol

All the slower ones are because of Ferrari screwed with engine. The biggest gain from repainting mercedes in pink.

Laserguru

mertol wrote:
20 Jul 2020, 12:03
All the slower ones are because of Ferrari screwed with engine. The biggest gain from repainting mercedes in pink.
As said before, only RBR and Ferrari engine powered cars are slower.

But hey, now that I think of it, Mercedes’ biggest gain coming from painting their 2020 car black! Have not seen any reasonable explanation as on why this makes the car that much faster. It is significant. Pink also is a very fast color indeed. Weird Mercedes did not discover this in the past years. So much for windtunnel testing. Maybe it behaves different in sunlight and/or rain? Did they upgrade their windtunnel to LED illumination? Or even... laser? Maybe it also explains why Ferrari is that slow, it could all relate to the solar activity and red paint. And McLaren were not slow due to Honda but Orange is just that much faster; only think of Max Verstappen. Explains also why he outpaces his rivals. Thanks for the hint, you opened my eyes. It all makes sense now. :P

Imagine Vettel driving the pink Mercedes running this year’s Mercedes rear suspension will make other cars look even slower next year. :o
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Just_a_fan

Hungaroring, new lap record this year beat last year's new lap record by half a second. So they're getting on top of the new cars now. Expect to see new lap records elsewhere this season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

ENGINE TUNER

Just_a_fan wrote:
21 Jul 2020, 00:28
Hungaroring, new lap record this year beat last year's new lap record by half a second. So they're getting on top of the new cars now. Expect to see new lap records elsewhere this season.
Total race time was only about 68s more in 2020 than 2019, even with starting on inters and with an extra tire change stop.